Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish Audio Quality

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   swbca

swbca

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

When we switched from Comcast to Dish 1 month ago, it started a major overhaul of most of our entertainment equipment.  The DishTV features, like the DVR options and HDTV in 3 rooms is a huge upgrade from our Comcast setup. We had never had a good audio system connected to Comcast progamming. 

For the first time I finallly got around to setting up a mid-price range surround sound system.  I already had a full set of very good NHT speakers, but I had never used them except for the 2 fronts. 

The issue/question:

The results and the problem: (my friend in the custom home-theater business always said, a good audio system makes a poor quality source sound much worse than if you are listening with a poor quality audio system - like TV speakers)  

So with very good speakers and a mid-range receiver . . . .

• DVD's sounds great
  • Most NetFlix movies (from RoKu module) sound good, but not great. 
  • Most programming from DishTV sounds from Fair to really bad, depending on the program. Much of it sounds like compression similar to, but not as bad as Serius radio News Programs, like cnbc, cnn etc . . which are  painful to listen to.

My wife likes the CBC show "The good wife". That was the first time she heard the new audio system and she made me switch back to the TV speakers after 10 minutes. We had already switched to plain stereo mode because the music track was so poorly mixed, but then speach still sounded highly compressed . . painful to listen to.

The poor sound quality is not really a problem when using the TV speakers.

Its hard to frame a specific question to this dilemma. Any comments or suggestions from your experience with DishTV on a home theater sound system?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network

Legend

• DISH Representative
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLittleton, CO

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

There are a few things we can check to see about improving the sound quality. What type of cable are you using for the receiver? What receiver model is your sound system hooked up to?

Tommy Faust
Social Media Representative
Sunday-Wednesday 6:00a-5:00p (MST)

#3 OFFLINE   swbca

swbca

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

There are a few things we can check to see about improving the sound quality. What type of cable are you using for the receiver? What receiver model is your sound system hooked up to?

The Hopper is connected with an HDMI cable. The receiver is a Denon AVR -1913.   The other 2  program sources also have HDMI inputs to the receiver.

#4 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

Is the poor sound quality on just the local channels, or on all channels?  If it's just the locals, it may just be poor mixing at the TV station, if it's all channels then something is not setup right, because I have no complaints with the audio in my system (full surround).  Is your Hopper set to Dolby/PCM or PCM Only?  (Menu, Settings, Audio, Audio Output)  It should be set to Dolby and your Denon set to Dolby decoding mode with no room effects turned on.  Also pay attention to what mode your Denon says it's in on the front panel (I'm assuming it has indicators similar to my Onkyo) - each channel can have a different type of audio encoding, and it may be only certain formats that you haven't tweaked the Denon for yet.

Also make sure your center channel is correctly connected and you have the appropriate speakers turned on (or off) in the Denon settings.

#5 OFFLINE   swbca

swbca

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

Is the poor sound quality on just the local channels, or on all channels?  If it's just the locals, it may just be poor mixing at the TV station, if it's all channels then something is not setup right, because I have no complaints with the audio in my system (full surround).  Is your Hopper set to Dolby/PCM or PCM Only?  (Menu, Settings, Audio, Audio Output)  It should be set to Dolby and your Denon set to Dolby decoding mode with no room effects turned on.  Also pay attention to what mode your Denon says it's in on the front panel (I'm assuming it has indicators similar to my Onkyo) - each channel can have a different type of audio encoding, and it may be only certain formats that you haven't tweaked the Denon for yet.

Also make sure your center channel is correctly connected and you have the appropriate speakers turned on (or off) in the Denon settings.

I have only had it running for 2 days.  I will dig into the settings on the Hopper and on the reciever.  On the receiver I have only tried the very top level of options so far.   The other sources were good with default surround settings without any tweaking except for the automated speaker setup.  The problem with the Dish channels we have tried sounds like compression . . speach is grainy / raspy.  I can deal with the crappy surround mixing with some TV shows by going into stereo mode.  But to your point, there are a lot of options for me to explore.

#6 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

You have to set the audio output to "Line" not RF, which is compressed.

RF mode stops DD5.1. Only stereo in RF mode.

Line mode gives you DD5.1 over optical.

Edited by mitchflorida, 24 April 2013 - 08:29 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

You have to set the audio output to "Line" not RF, which is compressed.

RF mode stops DD5.1. Only stereo in RF mode.

Line mode gives you DD5.1 over optical.

That is not the case for me, but I'm not using optical, just HDMI.  I have volume leveling turned on (which kicks in RF mode) and my Onkyo displays that is is receiving a DD5.1 signal.

#8 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

Have you verified the phasing of your speakers? Reverse phasing can cause a warbling sound. Probably not the cause but I'd thought I'd mention it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...