Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Received HR21 as upgrade, should I activate?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

I recently contacted D* to request an upgrade for one of my many SD DVRs.  Up until now, we only had one HD TV in the house with a DVR, and one HD TV in the kitchen with a H21.  We have 5 SD TVs and DVRs, R15s and R16s.  We recently upgraded our family room TV to a larger HD set, so we're moving the 40"  HD set up to the bedroom.  I called to see if I could get any deals as a 14 year customer, and they lowered the price for the upgrade to $149 from $199.  To my dismay, the box arrived and says HR21-700 on the side.  It has been sitting here in my office for a few weeks now, unopened.  We haven't had the time to remove the old SD set from the bedroom yet, it is a monster and will require much manpower to remove from its location.  In the meantime, I received the protection plan email about the new plan and free upgrade.  I have heard a lot of bad things about the HR21, and I wonder if I should wait until May 16 and use the free upgrade to replace the HR21.

We don't have SWM, and our other HD DVR is a HR20-700 with an external eSata drive.  It has been working fine for many years, and has lots of recordings that we haven't watched yet.  I'm not opposed to upgrading to SWM, but don't want to get rid of the HR20 yet.  I wonder if I could move that one up to the bedroom and ask for a SWM upgrade with a Genie for the family room.  Do you think they'd go for that?  And would it include clients for my R15s and R16s?  I have Premier, MLB EI and NFL ST, all for over 10 years.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

If you have the Protection Plan, call DirecTV, have them cancel the upgrade order and send you a box to return the HR21. Do not activate it, return it and wait for May 16th to see what you're capable of upgrading to under the new Protection Plan.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#3 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

Just a heads up, if you do not activate leased receivers sent out to you, you may possibly get charged a non return fee. I would call them soon about this.

#4 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

That's pretty funny considering the HR-21 is really also an R-22 which went NEW for $99 when they had offered them.

You must have gotten a lot of equipment upgrades for them to be charging you $149 for an HD DVR.  Of course, they also know that since you already have HD they won't get any additional revenue because the R-15 it's replacing and an HD DVR both cost $6/month.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#5 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

That's pretty funny considering the HR-21 is really also an R-22 which went NEW for $99 when they had offered them.

You must have gotten a lot of equipment upgrades for them to be charging you $149 for an HD DVR.  Of course, they also know that since you already have HD they won't get any additional revenue because the R-15 it's replacing and an HD DVR both cost $6/month.

I wouldn't say that I have gotten a lot of equipment upgrades, and I have had no receiver upgrades since 2009.  I have never received a free or deeply discounted HD DVR as an upgrade.  I did receive a replacement once for one that died. 

My current equipment is 1 HR20-700 (originally paid $399 for a HR20-100 in 2006, it died and was replaced for free with HR20-700 in 2008), 1 HR21(2009-paid $99), 3 R15 (2 free in 2009, 3rd was a replacement for a Sony UltimateTV box that died), 2 R16 (2009-paid $49 for one, the other one was a replacement for a HR10-250 TiVO that died).  Slimline dish w/5 LNB was replaced for free due to signal problems in 2011, 16x multi switch was upgraded from 8x, also for free sometime in last 5 years. I don't even want to guess as to what the UltimateTV box and TiVO box cost back in 2001 and 2005(?) when we got those, but I'm pretty sure we paid full price for those.

If that's considered a lot of upgrades, I am surprised.  Especially since I am a 14 year customer with NFL ST all 14 years, and Premier and MLB EI for 10+ years. 

Also, I had a sinking feeling that I'd get a HR21 when I requested this "upgrade."  I think it is to be expected when you're not upgrading to the latest equipment.  Now that I know I'm eligible for a free upgrade to a Genie box under the new protection plan (confirmed this with a call yesterday), I am going to return the unopened HR21 for a refund and go with the free upgrade.  The CSR said that I don't need to wait until May 16 to take advantage of this, since I'm such a loyal customer.  LOL.

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

There's no guarantee of what hardware you get when they dropship to you.  You could refuse the HR21 you have now to only be shipped another HR21. 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,392 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

There's no guarantee of what hardware you get when they dropship to you.  You could refuse the HR21 you have now to only be shipped another HR21. 

Right, but the TS is thinking of geting the Genie, which will guarantee at least an HR34

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall