Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help with HR23-700 that st-st-stutters

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

I have three dvrs on my whole home system. One of them, an HR23-700 has developed a persistent, but intermittent, stutter that makes it unwatchable. Any ideas on a quick fix?

If not, how to I handle a request for protection plan replacement with a problem that comes and goes?

“The easy confidence with which I know another man’s religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -- Mark Twain

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bikenski

bikenski

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

Just had an HR21 that developed a stuttering problem, and it was due to the hard drive starting to fail.  Getting DirecTV to acknowledge the problem and send a replacement was a nightmare.  After over an hour of troubleshooting the support analyst claimed the problem wasn't bad enough to warrant replacement, and there was nothing they could do until it entirely failed.  It took being transferred to retention and explaining that my next call would be to Dish, who would bring out a brand new Hopper free of charge, to get a replacement.  If I were to start over again, I would skip the aggrevation and just say that the receiver won't power on at all.  (Hate to encourage telling a fib, but if you've done your due diligence and know that the receiver itself is faulty, it's easier on everyone.)

Since your problem is only intermittent, it may not be as bad as mine was, and you may be able to fix it using the disk utilities:

- Reboot receiver

- When you see "Running receiver self-check" press the SELECT button.

- You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode"

Once in Diagnostics Mode:

"Advanced Tests"
"Hard Drive Utilities"

Start with the short test, as some of the others can take many hours to run.  Good luck!

#3 OFFLINE   cvarner

cvarner

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

I had this same issue on an HR21 and replaced the hard drive myself.  If you are so inclined, here's what I did: Purchased a 2 TB drive and an external SATA enclosure.  Hooked up the new drive externally and powered everything up to format it and load the base OS and DirecTV software.  Then powered everything down, removed the faulty internal drive and installed the new 2 TB drive.  Alternatively, you can just keep the new drive connected externally and bypass the old internal drove, but I didn't want any appendages on my receiver.  I don't have any knowledge of the underlying software or OS, but I am handy with a screwdriver and work with PC's a lot. It was nice to be able to do this repair on my own wiithout involving DirecTV, and I gained capacity with the larger hard drive.  I don't have the protection plan coverage, so I didn't want to have to buy a new receiver.  You can search the forum to get recommendations on the best hard drives and external SATA enclosures to use for this if you're interested.

Edited by cvarner, 23 April 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

Thanks -- I ran the system test sand discovered an "internal storage" error. Called DTV. They suggested I do an RBR, which picked up 16 disc errors. The reboot corrected 15. Second system test showed same error. Did second RBR and system test. No change. DTV is sending me a new box under my protection plan.

Thanks for your help

“The easy confidence with which I know another man’s religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -- Mark Twain

spam firewall