Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HD reciever hooked up to older dish

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Liemandt1010

Liemandt1010

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

Is it possible to hook up a H24/200 receiver to an older dish?  I brought it from my old place to my folks house and was trying to hook it up and am getting an error.  Searching online it found I might need a SWM or maybe out of luck. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Liemandt1010

Liemandt1010

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

from what i have read, i just need a power supply (SWM) for the dish? 

Thanks again for any advice.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

:balloons: Welcome to DBSTalk. 

Yes, you can use your H24 with older dishes, but you need to change the dish settings.

Here are the steps to change the dish settings.

From the Menu 

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to - select Parental, Favorites, Setup - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select System Set Up - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select Satellite - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select Repeat Satellite Setup - press Select button

Follow the on screen instructions and press the - Dash button

A new screen will be shown

Use the Arrow buttons navigate to Switch - then press the Select button

In the drop-down box use the Arrow buttons to highlight  02 Multiswitch then press Select button

Use the Arrow buttons and highlight Dish Type - press the Select button

In the drop-down box use the Arrow buttons to highlight 01-18" round then press the Select button

Use the Arrow buttons to navigate to Continue until you can hight light - Watch DirectTV

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,713 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

You don't need a SWM Power Inserter with an older non-SWM dish.  

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   JohnQ

JohnQ

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 81 posts
  • LocationFreshwater Bay Washington

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

Hope nobody minds if I piggyback onto this thread.  I have a motorhome with a King-Dome 9702 antenna, i.e., a standard def non-powered antenna.  I will be replacing the 2 Samsung SD receivers with HD receivers.  So the above instructions will be appreciated.  Ultimately when funds become available, I'll replace the King-Dome with a SWM based Winegard HD Trav'Ler.  But until then I have purchased a Slimline SWM RV Portable set which I can single line connect into the RV.  In the meantime I would like the option of using either the King-Dome (with the hassles of setting the receivers) or the portable Slimline.  Can I Join/Merge the two different antenna systems using a "Diplexer?"  Will using one cause a problem for the other??

Owned DTV in Motorhome - HR20-700, HR20-100, H25-700 with a Winegard SlimLine 3 Trav'ler (SWM) Antenna
Owned DTV in the Sticks & Bricks - H25-700, HR24-100, & HR24-500
Lease D-12-100

#6 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

Hope nobody minds if I piggyback onto this thread.  I have a motorhome with a King-Dome 9702 antenna, i.e., a standard def non-powered antenna.  I will be replacing the 2 Samsung SD receivers with HD receivers.  So the above instructions will be appreciated.  Ultimately when funds become available, I'll replace the King-Dome with a SWM based Winegard HD Trav'Ler.  But until then I have purchased a Slimline SWM RV Portable set which I can single line connect into the RV.  In the meantime I would like the option of using either the King-Dome (with the hassles of setting the receivers) or the portable Slimline.  Can I Join/Merge the two different antenna systems using a "Diplexer?"  Will using one cause a problem for the other??

No, as the LNB frequency down-conversion blocks of the two dishes overlap one another and will mutually interfere if diplexed together.

From the King-Dome dish; 950-1450 MHz

From the SWiM portable; ~922- 1841 MHz (+ a 2.3 MHz control signal).

You're going to have to use one or the other until you can afford the Winegard HD Trav'ler and all SWiM comparable receivers.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

Also if you get H25 receivers, those would not be "compatible" with your SD King Dome antenna since the H25 are SWM only HD receives

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...