Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How to hide Forums

Best Answer Steve , 24 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

Unless I've missed it, it looks like we lost the ability to hide forums from the "new post" search.  The minus sign just collapses the section on the forum screen (what the OP was asking for, I think), but I'm sure I'm not alone in going straight to a "new posts" bookmark and never seeing that forum list.  The old software gave me a multi-selectable list that let me completely get rid of the Dish forums.

Try going to "View New Content" and click on the "Filter By Forum" link on the bottom left. You can highlight the forums you want to view, and they're remembered, as far as I can tell.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dd5087

dd5087

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

I want to hide those sections dealing with Dish when I go to Forums.  I read in the help section on how to hide sections of the forums by clicking on the "-" .  But darn if I can find where that is. It says the board index, so where is that?  I guess I am just old and slow.

HR24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,056 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

I want to hide those sections dealing with Dish when I go to Forums.  I read in the help section on how to hide sections of the forums by clicking on the "-" .  But darn if I can find where that is. It says the board index, so where is that?  I guess I am just old and slow.

Hi...

When you put you cursor over the category area you will see a minus sign light up on the right side.  Click that.

Make sure you are allowing cookies for the site so it will stay for you.

Hope this helps.

• dd5087 likes this

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#3 OFFLINE   rccoleman

rccoleman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

Unless I've missed it, it looks like we lost the ability to hide forums from the "new post" search.  The minus sign just collapses the section on the forum screen (what the OP was asking for, I think), but I'm sure I'm not alone in going straight to a "new posts" bookmark and never seeing that forum list.  The old software gave me a multi-selectable list that let me completely get rid of the Dish forums.

#4 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,439 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:20 PM   Best Answer

Try going to "View New Content" and click on the "Filter By Forum" link on the bottom left. You can highlight the forums you want to view, and they're remembered, as far as I can tell.

• David Bott, Blurayfan, Brandon Wedgeworth and 1 other like this
/steve

#5 OFFLINE   rccoleman

rccoleman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

Perfect.  Thanks!

#6 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

Nice Job Steve.  Thanks for the help.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

I didn't know how to do that either, so thanks from me as well!

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#8 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

Remember to click LIKE.  :)

• Steve likes this

David Bott

Admin - Owner

#9 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

I wish the preferences were still attached to the user name instead of the computer from which we log in.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#10 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

I wish the preferences were still attached to the user name instead of the computer from which we log in.

Mine are. I can log in via my PC, iPhone or iPad and only see the forums I've selected.  My mobile devices have a different opening screen, but when I select New Content, my preferences are displayed properly.

#11 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,735 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

The answer doesn't last.

Edited by Drucifer, 28 April 2013 - 11:26 AM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#12 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

Me too. Can switch between PC, iPhone, and iPad all day long with thread unread status and filter options working perfectly. I did need to hard code the URLs to get everything to stick properly when switching between followed and new.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#13 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

there is a hook that helps with this too.

(SOS33) Remove Forums from Board Index which is in the IP Market

Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#14 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,439 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

The answer doesn't last.

Not only does it last here, but I only had to filter forums once for all devices. I updated the filter on my PC, and none of those forums show up in "New Content" view results for my iPhone, iPad or laptop.

Are you using "Forums" view? If so, the filter doesn't work there, AFAIK.

/steve

#15 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

there is a hook that helps with this too.

(SOS33) Remove Forums from Board Index which is in the IP Market

For ver 3.3 of the software.  But is it really needed?

David Bott

Admin - Owner

#16 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

its a preference thing really, I use it on 3.4.4 w/ no (that I could find)  issues. its about the closest thing I could find to the vb 3 series mod you had that allowed users to hide forums.

Edited by David MacLeod, 02 May 2013 - 10:06 AM.

Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#17 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

But does not the - on the forum areas not do that?  Or are you taking forum by forum here and not just the categories? 

David Bott

Admin - Owner

#18 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

those collapse but leave the category bar visible.

this mod allows hiding the whole category or just individual forums in the category from the board index.

I will test to see if works on mobile, I think it would as its database driven off user id.

Attached File  Capture.PNG   17.29KB   12 downloads

+ in ACP you can select groups that can use the mod.

Edited by David MacLeod, 02 May 2013 - 10:26 AM.

Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#19 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

I tested on android with dolphin browser and it holds my settings I made from pc.

tested with mobile skin and with full skin on the droid x

Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#20 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

I'm having a heck of a time getting the - to work.  I've tried it on 2 different PC's and if I - all the categories I don't want to see, close the browser and re-open it, it seems to work.  However, as soon as I go read a forum and hit the back key on my browser, they are all expanded again.  I tried deleting the dbstalk.com cookies and it didn't make a difference.  it seems like the back key on my mouse or browser breaks the - functionality.  

Hiding individual forums is the only feature I really miss from the previous version.  While the - works in theory, it hides everything in that category and is more of a sledgehammer approach.   There are some categories where I want to see one or two of the sub forums and hide all the rest.  The - doesn't work well for that scenario.

So far I've tested this with Chrome Version 26.0.1410.64 m and IE 8.

Edited by Getteau, 02 May 2013 - 12:20 PM.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

spam firewall