Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Notifications - Which one do I select?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 712 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

On the Vbulletin site, I had my notifications set for Immediate but then I would only receive one email notification for that thread until the next time I logged into the site......now I am getting an email notification for EVERY reply to a thread, even though I haven't logged in, filling up my inbox....what is this forum softwares equivalent? Thanks :)

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,140 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

Hi...

I am sorry to day I am not aware that their is one at this time I am sorry to say.  If you are in a busy thread, you may care to change that one to a Daily Notice.

Thank you.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#3 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,152 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

On the Vbulletin site, I had my notifications set for Immediate but then I would only receive one email notification for that thread until the next time I logged into the site......now I am getting an email notification for EVERY reply to a thread, even though I haven't logged in, filling up my inbox....what is this forum softwares equivalent? Thanks :)

Try "only when not online" when following a thread. This is also referred to as "offline".

The Help link at the bottom of the page says: Only When Not Online: This option will send out a notification if a reply has been posted and you're not active on the board.

To change the notification setting for a topic, go to http://www.dbstalk.c...rch&do=followed where you can click the change button on the right for each topic and change notifications to offline.

I've done this and I'm not getting emails for every reply.

#4 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

Thanks David for that.  See, even we are still learning.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#5 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,152 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

Thanks David for that.  See, even we are still learning.

What's weird is that I haven't received any notifications today.

#6 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

LOL...Then maybe the thanks was premature.   :grin:

David Bott

Admin - Owner

#7 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 712 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

So I changed it to "Offline" and we'll see what happens :) I got every reply to this thread and the NFL ST thread today on my phone while at work :lol: Hopefully this setting changes that :)

(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#8 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,152 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

LOL...Then maybe the thanks was premature.   :grin:

I think I wasn't getting any notifications yesterday morning because I wasn't offline long enough. I closed the browser and then checked one of my posts from my phone while not signed in and my status still showed "Online" and stayed that way for quite a while. I did receive quite a few "offline" notifications in the afternoon and evening.

#9 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,152 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

So if offline notifications work, chevyguy559, you should not get this reply on your phone.

It looks like there is up to a ten minute delay between closing the browser/signing out and your status changing to "Offline".

#10 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 712 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

That worked! I got your first reply since it was the newest since I replied and then didn't see your other reply until I logged in right now....I think the individual thread settings from the Vbulletin site were set to something else....should be good to go from here on out :)

(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#11 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:11 AM

There's one issue I have with the page that lets you change notification actions on a per thread basis. When you click "change", it doesn't show you what action the thread is currently set for, so it's difficult to test different options without a pen and paper nearby. Would be great, after clicking "change", if the current action could be displayed. If not that, then show as bolded or checked in the list. Just my .02.

/steve

#12 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,152 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

There's one issue I have with the page that lets you change notification actions on a per thread basis. When you click "change", it doesn't show you what action the thread is currently set for, so it's difficult to test different options without a pen and paper nearby. Would be great, after clicking "change", if the current action could be displayed. If not that, then show as bolded or checked in the list. Just my .02.

It's probably easier to do that if you click Toggle Edit Options. In the alternate view you do see which action the thread/forum is currently set for.

• Steve likes this

#13 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

It's probably easier to do that if you click Toggle Edit Options. In the alternate view you do see which action the thread/forum is currently set for.

Nice, David. Completely missed that option.

Yankee fans are so friggin' smart! :lol:

/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...