Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Hello... 3D Channels can be added anytime now?

dish dishnetwork dish network 3d 3d channel 3net

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   YurMom

YurMom

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

Is Dish ran by the most ULTRA conservative person on earth?  Iv been asking Dish for more than 2 years when they would be adding a 3D channel line up :bang .

I know there are only like 5 or 6 right now but 3D is NOT a passing thing :sleeping: .  Has anyone gotten anything more from Dish on this other than 'it's in the works'... yea, for two years now, how about getting it out of the works and into our homes.

It would suck to get tired of waiting and go back to DirecTV again... :blackeye:

If you like security... don't listen to someone using less than you.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

Here's a thread that might interest you.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

Yep...  I think even DirecTV backed off a bit on 3D, though they still have more than Dish.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#4 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:07 AM

The last thing I want to see when watching something in 3D is a darn 3D popup advertising a show.

Edited by mike1977, 24 April 2013 - 01:07 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 819 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:56 AM

Actually 3D is sort of a passing thing.  Movie makers are beginning to realize that.  And so long as special glasses are required it won't get big acceptance in the home either.  Yes, someday we'll have affordable 3D with no glasses but even the boosters of 3D admit that may be 10 years away.  So for now Dish is right not to burden the bandwidth and the wallets of their customers with 3D.

#6 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,131 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

Yeah it does appear the demand for 3-D has been underwhelming at best. Trust me if enough people wanted it there would be more 3-D channels and Dish would have them. It's all about $$$, where it goes the providers will follow.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#7 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,070 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

Yep...  I think even DirecTV backed off a bit on 3D, though they still have more than Dish.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#8 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,070 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

I don't think most people arn't interested in 3D.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#9 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

I look it as a 'chicken or egg' thing.  When demand is high enuf, it'll be added, but demand won't be high until it's available.

I know I won't consider buying a 3d TV until they are without the 'glasses' requirement.  Even then, the sets would have to be affordable to me

#10 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

FYI, 3D is on CPR!

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#11 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

FYI, 3D is on CPR!

I think you are right, I was at a local theater last night and I just realized that they were not offering a single feature in 3D.

#12 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

I think you are right, I was at a local theater last night and I just realized that they were not offering a single feature in 3D.

3D seems to cycle every 20 years or so, corresponding to a new generation of folks that find it "new". The technology used in theaters has not really changed since I saw Bwana Devil in the early fifties. Even the shutter glasses technology has been around for 20 years. Just, wait, it will come back again.

#13 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

I look it as a 'chicken or egg' thing.  When demand is high enuf, it'll be added, but demand won't be high until it's available.

I know I won't consider buying a 3d TV until they are without the 'glasses' requirement.  Even then, the sets would have to be affordable to me

Trouble is that even if you want to buy a medium quality TV it's probably going to have 3D.  Especially if it's a 50" or larger.

#14 OFFLINE   ashli143

ashli143

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

I love how people try to say that 3d is on its way out JUST because they do not have a 3d tv. It's not on it's way out - not even close. Maybe your local best buy doesn't have many that they are currently selling but as a tech rep and someone who buys and sales items like this I can honestly say that half of the new tvs that have come out this year (or more) DO have the 3d feature. Maybe the sony at target (that's on sale) doesn't have 3d, but it's also old technology which is the reason it is on sale.The "shutter lenses" only pertain to ACTIVE 3d tvs, not PASSIVE. Passive 3d uses glasses just like the one's at the movie theatre. At first only LG, Vizio, and Panasonic sold passive 3d. But now Sony, Samsung, Sharp, etc, have also jumped on the Passive 3d bandwagon.

I currently play 3d games and movies on my playstation 3 and my LG passive 3d tv. It's gorgeous. I got my tv on sale at a very reasonable price online. I just bought my dad a 55" LED LG 3D TV from Dell.com (now out of stock) for $760.00 -- we set it up yesterday and watched Jurassic Park 3d, it was awesome. The prices of 3d tvs are starting to drop due to the fact that the concept is no longer "new." Because of these price drops you will see an increase in 3d tv buyers.

Also, the future of gaming is going 3d. Currently the ps3 is 3d compatible and Nintendo released the 3ds. At the recent gaming conference sony pushed the new ps4 (playstation 4), that like it's predecessor,  allows the owner to watch 3d movies and play 3d games. Nintendo announced that they will be releasing 3d games for their Wii U. Also, Microsoft has recently announced that the new Xbox One will also support 3d technology.

But you guys are so right, 3d is a passing fad, right?

#15 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

Yep, it is a passing fancy! :)

Many of my friends have 3D sets, as do I, but I'm the only one that has 3D glasses. The rest of them bought upscale sets, but not because of the 3D.

I use it on occasion, but am underwhelmed by the quality of too many 3D movies. At the end of the year there will only be one 3D channel left, which hardly bodes well for 3D. And I don't think that the gamers can bring enough business to 3D to change much about any of that.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#16 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

Why even respond?

• Inkosaurus likes this

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#17 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 295 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

I understand our 3D customers would like to see more 3D channels added to DISH, we do offer some movies in 3D. I will provide you our link to check the movie titles to see if they are to your liking: http://www.dish.com/technology/3d-programming/?WT.svl=gsearch_results

Thanks

#18 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

New fancy theater down the road, two 3D screens, two dine-in screens, two "big" screens, and six others.  Costs like $6 more to see a show on the 3D screen.  I wouldn't go see it if it were the same cost.  Maybe if it was a $2 discount I'd try it.  Same with 3D TV, if someone gave me glasses and Dish gave you a $2 credit towards monthly payment for watching it, I might watch a few.  They can make movies look real enough without going 3D (even on my 50" screen).

#19 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:55 AM

I love how people try to say that 3d is on its way out JUST because they do not have a 3d tv. It's not on it's way out - not even close. Maybe your local best buy doesn't have many that they are currently selling but as a tech rep and someone who buys and sales items like this I can honestly say that half of the new tvs that have come out this year (or more) DO have the 3d feature. Maybe the sony at target (that's on sale) doesn't have 3d, but it's also old technology which is the reason it is on sale.The "shutter lenses" only pertain to ACTIVE 3d tvs, not PASSIVE. Passive 3d uses glasses just like the one's at the movie theatre. At first only LG, Vizio, and Panasonic sold passive 3d. But now Sony, Samsung, Sharp, etc, have also jumped on the Passive 3d bandwagon.

I currently play 3d games and movies on my playstation 3 and my LG passive 3d tv. It's gorgeous. I got my tv on sale at a very reasonable price online. I just bought my dad a 55" LED LG 3D TV from Dell.com (now out of stock) for $760.00 -- we set it up yesterday and watched Jurassic Park 3d, it was awesome. The prices of 3d tvs are starting to drop due to the fact that the concept is no longer "new." Because of these price drops you will see an increase in 3d tv buyers.

Also, the future of gaming is going 3d. Currently the ps3 is 3d compatible and Nintendo released the 3ds. At the recent gaming conference sony pushed the new ps4 (playstation 4), that like it's predecessor,  allows the owner to watch 3d movies and play 3d games. Nintendo announced that they will be releasing 3d games for their Wii U. Also, Microsoft has recently announced that the new Xbox One will also support 3d technology.

But you guys are so right, 3d is a passing fad, right?

Actually, if you would have taken the time to research the subject before you responded to a 3 month old post you would have found that it is fading away. ESPN is dropping their 3D channel by the end of the year, the BBC is dropping all 3D development for at least 3 years to see if there is really any demand for it and there are no plans for any of the Networks to offer any 3D content. Even 3D movie ticket sales are losing to 2D, the head of HBO's tech division has stated that home 3D is DEAD, and that HBO never really considered it viable, so other than some video games and the odd movie that actually looks good in 3D it is hanging on, but just barely.

• tampa8 likes this

#20 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

3D in theaters is not that bad, I saw my first 3D movie about a month ago (Star Trek whatever) and it was interesting, but I thought it was more of a distraction that an enhancement to the movie.

3D movies are still coming out and people still watch them, they even have D-Box now where your seat moves with the action, and local IMAX is expanding D-Box offerings to two more screens.  I'll not pay $3-$5 more for a buzz in my butt, but evidently someone is.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dish, dishnetwork, dish network, 3d, 3d channel, 3net

spam firewall