Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Slaps Longtime Customers Again

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

Just parroting corpspeak, not attempting to characterize you personally. Apologies if I offended.

No offense taken.

As we used to say in the 60's, peace brother!  :)

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

If someone is going through hard times with DISH you can always get a VIP211k,buy a EHD,pay a $40. fee and you will have a HDDVR with 1 satellite tuner and 1 OTA tuner.You can't do that with the others.

Absolutely.  You could then just pay for programming packages with zero equipment fees after the upfront.  It wouldn't work for me as I watch way too much TV, but I can sure remember the day that was all I had.  Actually even less than that, just a receiver, no dvr, no TIVO.  Turn it on, tune to the channel and watch.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#23 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

One month free for paying for the year isn't bad. Especially if you're not planning to switch and have the money. That's kinda what I prefer with sports packages like Sunday Ticket, Center Ice, etc... pay X amount for the season rather than 4+ monthly payments.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#24 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

Ya that's the nice things about satellite(cable) channels is they repeat their programs.So if I ever have to that's the way I would have to go.

Edited by Jhon69, 24 April 2013 - 06:02 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

It was roughly a month, not exactly a full month.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#26 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

With the DVR fee of $10/mo, $120/yr plus the additional month of $75 for AT-250, that jumps my rate up $195/yr for the same thing I've had for the last 10 years without considering any programming fees increases.

The $75/mo is higher than my water and electric bills combined for most months.

Edited by SayWhat?, 24 April 2013 - 06:14 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,871 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

Ultimately prices on this kind of stuff keep going up... compare to other available services, pick the best deal, or decide you can do without.  IF enough people decide they can do without, the prices might come down... but I wouldn't lose too much sleep waiting for that.

All things considered, while I don't just love the price increases...  they still pale in comparison to other things.  Going out to a movie, a single movie, for the average family can cost upwards of $30 not counting concessions... for that one movie.  Want to see a movie every weekend?  Just one movie a week and you're talking $120+ to take your family to see 4 movies a month...  You could instead put that towards the full package from Dish, DirecTV, U-Verse, or other cable providers and have more entertainment than you could possibly watch.

So, yeah... prices are going up... but I still can't get a better entertainment deal for the money... and before anyone says "Netflix" or "Amazon Prime" or "Hulu"...  yeah, those have small fees per month for their content BUT you need a fast broadband connection... so you have to add that cost to the mix too AND many people still live in areas where that kind of broadband isn't available, and others would run into the bandwidth cap and pay a fortune to stream as much content as they can watch via satellite or cable.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#28 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

This isn't the typical 3-5% annual increase.

This is a 20-30% increase by charging fees for things that have never had fees in the past.

It's like your mortgage company jacking up your monthly payment by 20% for use of the plumbing pipes and fixtures you've always had.  It's not costing the mortgage company anything more like it would a tax or insurance increase, but rather they just fond something you already have and use and add a fee to it.

#29 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

What I feel is the worst part of this, is the fact that Dish has totally thrown out a contract that was signed in good faith. I'm sure they have the right weasel words placed in that contract to do this. But still it is a dirty trick and disrespectful to the customer. Dish should have just said that we aren't going to continue the program when your contract is up. Doing it this way will make many people leery of doing business with them. But I guess Dish has given up on growing and has decided to get as much money as they can from current customers.

#30 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,871 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

This isn't the typical 3-5% annual increase.

This is a 20-30% increase by charging fees for things that have never had fees in the past.

It's like your mortgage company jacking up your monthly payment by 20% for use of the plumbing pipes and fixtures you've always had.  It's not costing the mortgage company anything more like it would a tax or insurance increase, but rather they just fond something you already have and use and add a fee to it.

It's not like that at all... a mortgage either comes with a fixed or a variable interest rate, but the principal is fixed unless you choose to refinance.

You have no guarantees on satellite bill pricing...  you have no guarantees that your groceries will not cost more next week or the week thereafter too.

Once the price of something exceeds your perceived value for it, you can stop buying that thing.  TV isn't a necessity... not like a home probably is.

#31 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,871 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

What I feel is the worst part of this, is the fact that Dish has totally thrown out a contract that was signed in good faith. I'm sure they have the right weasel words placed in that contract to do this. But still it is a dirty trick and disrespectful to the customer. Dish should have just said that we aren't going to continue the program when your contract is up. Doing it this way will make many people leery of doing business with them. But I guess Dish has given up on growing and has decided to get as much money as they can from current customers.

The contract with Dish doesn't guarantee price.  IF they raise the price on a package, you can probably drop to a lower package.  IF they raise the price on hardware, you may be able to change to less-expensive hardware.

#32 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:39 AM

I hit a point a while back where I was reviewing costs I could get rid of.  Showtime ended up not making the cut when it came to my satellite bill.  Other things got reduced, eliminated or otherwise dealt with.

It's looking like I'm going to have to review my Dish bill again and either step down form the top tier, lose one of the pay packages (I have HBO & Starz) and probably return either a Hopper or a Joey (I have a 2H/3J setup).  My bill is $145 right now and the idea of paying $120/year plus 5 leasing fees for what USED to be a $100 one-time fee and a box I could BUY is grating on me.

#33 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

The contract with Dish doesn't guarantee price.  IF they raise the price on a package, you can probably drop to a lower package.  IF they raise the price on hardware, you may be able to change to less-expensive hardware.

Wouldn't paying for your service a year at a time pretty much guarantee price? That's probably the reason why Dish voided the contract, because they couldn't legally get more money under it.  :nono2:

#34 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

My reading of the letter is that while there is no longer annual billing, you can pay for a full year's service and get a credit for a full month's payment to your account, isn;t that prima facea the same thing or am I way off here?

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#35 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

My reading of the letter is that while there is no longer annual billing, you can pay for a full year's service and get a credit for a full month's payment to your account, isn;t that prima facea the same thing or am I way off here?

Nope, it says that Dish will now bill monthly. The free month is being given because Dish is trying to ease the pain and really does care about it's customers.  !rolling

Edited by MCHuf, 25 April 2013 - 02:17 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

My reading of the letter is that  ... ... Chuckie needs bucks.

#37 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

Maybe "D" and "E" really are going to merge.

#38 OFFLINE   eechan

eechan

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

that's if the monthly price remains the same. paying for a year upfront got those subscribers locked into a fixed rate for a year. After May 22, those annual subscribers are subject to the whim of Dishnetwork's price increases impacting their account balances and not necessarily guaranteeing them the year of tv service that they had budgeted and paid for

#39 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

It's like your mortgage company jacking up your monthly payment by 20% for use of the plumbing pipes and fixtures you've always had. 

Shhh don't give the mortgage company ideas, although it wouldn't be surprising if they did that with everything else that keeps going up, But the checks are getting smaller.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#40 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

Hey, somone has to help Charlie Pay BILLIONS for sprint. Let it be us!!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...