Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pay Attention Dish: TV is becoming a wasteland

Netflix

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pfred

pfred

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

I have been a faithful Dish customer for 15 years.  I pay about $50 a month, and it is clear that the channels on AT120 are the dregs.  I am getting closer and closer to "cutting the cord", but due to a combination of laziness, and lack of knowledge, I am not sure how to implement Netflix , youtube, ... and the rest, right to my living room TV.
I am grandfatherred in to top 120 without locals, so I can't even get the HBO offer of half price for 6 months because "any programming change requires subscribing to a current package"

Just venting.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 307 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

I have been a faithful Dish customer for 15 years.  I pay about $50 a month, and it is clear that the channels on AT120 are the dregs.  I am getting closer and closer to "cutting the cord", but due to a combination of laziness, and lack of knowledge, I am not sure how to implement Netflix , youtube, ... and the rest, right to my living room TV.
I am grandfatherred in to top 120 without locals, so I can't even get the HBO offer of half price for 6 months because "any programming change requires subscribing to a current package"

Just venting.

Dude, a wireless router and a Roku is not that difficult, if I can do it so can you!

Edited by Rduce, 24 April 2013 - 02:06 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,613 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

I wouldn't say "dregs"... at least not any more than any other tier.  Arguably the better channels are able to get themselves better placement in the lower tiers, so if you aren't liking the lower tier, you probably really don't like the higher tiers.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,586 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

It isn't so much the programming tiers that are making Dish unattractive, it's all the add-ons and fees.  They're nickle and diming us to death.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#5 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

Along with the all the channels programming, and inserting popups over shows. I'm hanging by a thread on Dish America.

Edited by mike1977, 24 April 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#6 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,799 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

It isn't so much the programming tiers that are making Dish unattractive, it's all the add-ons and fees.  They're nickle and diming us to death.

While cable is beginning to swing back from high hardware costs, everyone is charging a lot for hardware these days.  DIRECTV's website app implies that a single HD DVR setup endures their whole home DVR service fee (as part of the $25 Advanced Receiver Fee).

Complaining without offering something to compare against is likely fruitless.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,206 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:42 AM

With a cable-card and my PCs with Media Center software, cable becomes a viable option.  Every time I've done the comparison, Dish came out ahead.  With this latest round of price hikes, that might not be the case anymore.

#8 OFFLINE   AED55

AED55

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

Just venting.

I have to agree. Seems like a lot of money for what you get. I subscribed to Netflix a couple of years ago and if you're into mostly B movies and TV series repeats it's not too bad for $7.99 a month. You'll need a moderately high speed broadband connection, a wireless router, and a WiFi device that has the Netflix app installed. My Sony BR player came equipped with Netflix and WiFi capability and was a breeze to set up. If you already have broad band capability and a Netflix ready box it might be worth it to give their 30 day free trial a try. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Netflix

Protected By... spam firewall...And...