Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Anywhere for Kindle Fire?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

Any ideas when, if ever, the Dish Anywhere app will be available for the Kindle Fire?

• igeorge likes this
Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,407 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

I would not expect a Kindle Fire version.

Amazon offers the Kindle to support their content services.  Because the Kindle Fire is ostensibly an Android device, it comes down to Amazon deciding that they want to offer it and I'd imagine they aren't too keen on the idea of offering a product that significantly reduces the dependence on Amazon's primary focus (content).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

I would not expect a Kindle Fire version.

Amazon offers the Kindle to support their content services.  Because the Kindle Fire is ostensibly an Android device, it comes down to Amazon deciding that they want to offer it and I'd imagine they aren't too keen on the idea of offering a product that significantly reduces the dependence on Amazon's primary focus (content).

I doubt this is the case.  There is a Kindle Fire app for Netflix, Hulu Plus and HBOGo...so it's not likely  Amazon is blacklisting Dish.  More likely that Dish has just not gotten around to submitting an app thru their process yet.

There is a Kindle Fire SlingPlayer app...but all the reviews say it does not work with the Dish Sling adapter or built in Hopper Sling (it's also $14.99).

Edited by LtMunst, 24 April 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

• Try to email the apk. or back load it to your device?

#5 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

• Try to email the apk. or back load it to your device?

Haven't tried side loading it yet.

#6 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:40 AM

As I recall, side loading requires the use of a Android phone to assist.  Am I wrong in this?

#7 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:34 AM

As I recall, side loading requires the use of a Android phone to assist.

Yes.  Lucky for me my wife has a Samsung Droid, so I'll have to give this sideloading thing a try.

It would of course be easier if Dish would stop ignoring a significant chunk of the tablet market and submit their app to Amazon.

Edited by LtMunst, 25 April 2013 - 06:42 AM.

• Revrick likes this

#8 OFFLINE   cloudnine

cloudnine

• Registered
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

I have the DISH Anywhere app on my Droid Razr and my Samsung tablet. I put the apk on a thumb drive and tonight I'm going to try and side load it to my wife's Kindle Fire.

I'm going to transfer the apk to her computer then plug her KF in to the computer to transfer the file. So, technically you don't need an android phone to do this, just the apk.

I'll report back on how it works.

Edited by cloudnine, 25 April 2013 - 08:53 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

I'll report back on how it works.

Cool, thanks.

#10 OFFLINE   cloudnine

cloudnine

• Registered
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

Just got home and side loaded the Dish Anywhere app to my wife's Kindle Fire and it installed and works perfectly. You have to "allow unauthorized apps to install" just like most Android devices. You'll find that in Settings. Go nuts!!

• AZ. likes this

#11 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

Just got home and side loaded the Dish Anywhere app to my wife's Kindle Fire and it installed and works perfectly. You have to "allow unauthorized apps to install" just like most Android devices. You'll find that in Settings. Go nuts!!

Awesome..thanks!

#12 OFFLINE   SDWC

SDWC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

Could someone kindly explain the steps in "plain english" how to do this? I'm pretty computer literate but have never done anything like this.  My wife has the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and I would love to be able to set this up for her.

Thank you in advance.

#13 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Could someone kindly explain the steps in "plain english" how to do this? I'm pretty computer literate but have never done anything like this.  My wife has the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and I would love to be able to set this up for her.

Thank you in advance.

Haven't done it myself yet, but I plan to follow the instructions in the below link:

http://www.ubergizmo...-fire-sideload/

#14 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

Get the apk file....put it on a thumb drive,or email to yourself, or use an app sharing app....install....really nothing to it....Just access it from the Kindle and install. 

#15 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:44 AM

I just got a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 yesterday.  To get DishAnywhere, just download the apk file  here on your PC

http://www.downloads...SlingGuide-Dish     then copy it to your Kindle using the usb cable.

Then you install using ES File Explorer and allow install of applications.   Works great!

#16 OFFLINE   jimmarby

jimmarby

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationWestern Mass

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

The download which mitchflorida supplied also workes on my regular Kindle Fire, thanks for the info Mitch.

#17 OFFLINE   Beardedbosn

Beardedbosn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

I have been looking at a number of ways to get the "Dish Anywhere"app onto my Kindle HD.  Many were very complicated.  I downloaded the app through the link provided by mitchflorida to my Mac.  I have "Dropbox" on all my computers and the Kindle; it is a very handy file sharing program.

I copied the app file to to Dropbox and by doing so a copy was available on the Kindle.  Opened "Dropbox" on the Kindle, clicked the app file and it loaded.  Seems to work well right from the start.  You do have to tell the Kindle to allow installation of all apps.  Hope this helps someone.

Chris

Chris & Judi, Retired Coast Guard, Fulltime RVers 3/93 to 12/07

#18 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:15 AM

You would think by now the folks at Dish and Amazon would have figured this out.  All these work arounds, while they may work, are really silly.   Common Dish, let's engage yourself here.

#19 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:15 AM

You would think by now the folks at Dish and Amazon would have figured this out.  All these work arounds, while they may work, are really silly.   Common Dish, let's engage yourself here.

I would not blame Dish or Amazon - its the media companies. Also, the work-arounds keep getting easier and better.

#20 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

Actually it is Amazon's fault as they are blocking the DishAnywhere app from their app store.

You can bypass Amazon by downloading the 1MobileMarket app, it includes a lot of apps that Amazon doesn't carry in their app store.

Edited by mitchflorida, 27 December 2013 - 07:32 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...