Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol (Top 4) - 04/24/2013

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Who Were Your Favorites? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Who Were Your Favorites?

1. Amber Holcomb (1 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

2. Angie Miller (6 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Candice Glover (1 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

4. Kree Harrison (4 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,970 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

Discuss... :D

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:33 AM

What's there to discuss beyond Angie Miller?

#3 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

That's a dead link to an eBay auction!

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

That's a dead link to an eBay auction!

The wheels on the bus go round and round

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

Round One = Amber

Round Two = Angie

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#6 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

Round One = Amber

Round Two = Angie

Agree. And I thought Candice was very good in both rounds, but not as good as Amber's and Angie's best.

Based on the top 4 performances, I would have put Kree at the bottom. I can only guess the country fan votes skewed the results.

/steve

#7 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

Agree. And I thought Candice was very good in both rounds, but not as good as Amber's and Angie's best.

Based on the top 4 performances, I would have put Kree at the bottom. I can only guess the country fan votes skewed the results.

To tell you the truth, Steve ... I was bored out of my head.  In all the years I've been watching this show, never have I actually contemplated changing the channel before this episode.  Even the bad episodes had some redeeming value (a singer, a song, a moment). Not this one.  I could have gone without it completely.

Yes, I agree, Candice was OK while Kree was (unbelievably) on my bottom list as well.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

To many adult contemporary songs this week .. Hence the boredom.  Yes, they did them well, but no it wasn't exciting.

Angie, I thought, added the most flavor to the night and won it easily.

Now we get to do it all over again this week.

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

[...] Now we get to do it all over again this week.

On the bright side, it won't be any worse.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#10 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

To tell you the truth, Steve ... I was bored out of my head.  In all the years I've been watching this show, never have I actually contemplated changing the channel before this episode.  Even the bad episodes had some redeeming value (a singer, a song, a moment).

I hear ya. That's what's so great about The Voice, IMHO. The judges involvement and interaction is so enjoyable, that even if the singing is so-so, I still look forward to the rest of the show. And I think the singing on The Voice has been pretty good as well this year.

/steve

#11 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

Idol has run its course.. I have not watched in over 3 years or in Idol terms 6 seasons...LOL The judges are ego maniacs. And the network has run the franchise into the ground... It is now a poor also ran of its former glory and competitors. :)

#12 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

Idol has run its course.. I have not watched in over 3 years or in Idol terms 6 seasons...LOL The judges are ego maniacs. And the network has run the franchise into the ground... It is now a poor also ran of its former glory and competitors. :)

Your opinion melds with the many others that are concluding the same thing. Sadly, the singer-contestants are no longer the focus of the show. I agree with you that it is now an ego-driven battle between the judges. The quest for talent is secondary, and actually finding it is sometimes accidental.

It's not new, of course. This has been getting progressively worse as seasons go by. When Simon called it quits, it really started to come apart. Kara, Paula, Simon, Ellen, JLo and Steve have all ended their trek here and have left little to show for it … no legacy to speak of. And I don't think the revolving door has stopped turning. Just the other day the news had an article saying that the producers had contemplated replacing Nicki and/or Mariah with Jlo in mid-season - clearly an act of desperation.

I am very interested in the behind-the-scenes meaning of their latest ploy. Have you noticed how many past contestants have made guest appearances - sometimes two on the same episode? It’s as though the producers are reminding us that these past contestants have indeed found a profession after AI (or because of it). Sort of like a self-serving pat on the back.

Can it be fixed and rescued? Perhaps, but not before they do something about the voting method. As it stands, seldom does the most talented get the winning vote. Instead it is the most sexy/popular/outrageous contestant that gets the skewed nod. We’re still living the Taylor Hicks, Season 5 nightmare.

Having said all of that let me admit that I have enjoyed this program tremendously – always have. Through the ups and downs - the "girlie" and pity votes, the scandal firings, the egoistic judges - I have not listened to my better judgment and I have stuck it out. Why? Because I am a lover of talent, that’s why! In spite of themselves, AI has springboarded some exceptional singers, actors and actresses.

But after 12 seasons, I think the program has run out of steam. Tweaked constantly, it still can’t seem to hit the mark. Maybe now is the time to find "The Voice" to say a dignified goodbye.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...