Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20-100 overheating - best solution for cooling it down?

overheat external fan usb fan

Best Answer SFNSXguy , 25 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

I have three HR20-700 all have this accessory fan

http://www.newegg.co...CFYtT4AodjkkATg

plugged into their USB port.  My DVRs run nice and cool - even in a closed closet.

Position the fan to extract hot air (not push air into the unit)

My $0.02

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:29 AM

For the last week or so, my HR20-100 has been over the temperature limit.  Short of getting a replacement, what is the best solution for solving this problem?  I've been able to cool it down with a small space heater set on fan setting - but was looking to a more permanent solution.  I have not opened it up yet to see if for sure its the fan that it is in fact dead.  It has screamed more than once, but has always quieted back down.  Maybe tlast weeks was it's final one.  I saw where an external USB fan was used to cool an overheating C31, and was wondering if anyone has had any success doing this on an ancient HR20?  If so, what kind should I get?  One that the HR20 would sit on, or should it blow in from one of the sides.  Or should I just get a replacement internal fan?  Current temp is 54°C - down from boot temp of 62°C.

HR20-100 since 2008 w/27" Sony SDTV
HR34 since 4/3/2012 w/47" Mitsubishi HDTV
HMC since 4/3/2012

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:36 AM

Before you buy anything,
try using a hand held vac and clean out the entry and exit points for air flow.
Also, I have mine raised on 1" tall strips of styraform to allow a larger area easier air flow around the box.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:56 AM

For the last week or so, my HR20-100 has been over the temperature limit. Short of getting a replacement, what is the best solution for solving this problem? I've been able to cool it down with a small space heater set on fan setting - but was looking to a more permanent solution. I have not opened it up yet to see if for sure its the fan that it is in fact dead. It has screamed more than once, but has always quieted back down. Maybe tlast weeks was it's final one. I saw where an external USB fan was used to cool an overheating C31, and was wondering if anyone has had any success doing this on an ancient HR20? If so, what kind should I get? One that the HR20 would sit on, or should it blow in from one of the sides. Or should I just get a replacement internal fan? Current temp is 54°C - down from boot temp of 62°C.

I would only get a replacement fan if you own the DVR. If it’s a lease you should not open the box.

If the receiver is in the same location under the same conditions as it was before the temperature problems I’d suggest getting replacement.

Cleaning the vents and using a USB fan can’t hurt. It may give you enough life to watch you recordings before replacement or “It’s bleedin’ demised”. ;)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#4 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:01 AM

OK - ran a vacuum on it - had been meaning to do that when I'd read that.  Down to 51°C with the ceramic fan running on it.  Have not raised it up any yet.  Seems like saying it's overheating and turning the lights on the front - (I had it powered off overnite) would be counteractive to its saying it's "cooling down".  Wouldn't normally the fan kick up a notch when this happens?  Mike, I'd heard they don't want these back, so figured what's the harm in opening it up now?

HMC since 4/3/2012

#5 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:34 AM

OK - ran a vacuum on it - had been meaning to do that when I'd read that.  Down to 51°C with the ceramic fan running on it.  Have not raised it up any yet.  Seems like saying it's overheating and turning the lights on the front - (I had it powered off overnite) would be counteractive to its saying it's "cooling down".  Wouldn't normally the fan kick up a notch when this happens?  Mike, I'd heard they don't want these back, so figured what's the harm in opening it up now?

I've heard that as well but I don't have any confirmation. Just be aware that if something goes wrong while you have it open they may not replace it.  It's not the opening that's a problem.  It's when something gets broke that's the issue.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#6 OFFLINE   SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy

EOE

• DBSTalk Club
  • 512 posts
  • LocationNear San Francisco

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:30 AM   Best Answer

I have three HR20-700 all have this accessory fan

http://www.newegg.co...CFYtT4AodjkkATg

plugged into their USB port.  My DVRs run nice and cool - even in a closed closet.

Position the fan to extract hot air (not push air into the unit)

My $0.02

HS
D* user since 11/94

#7 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:14 AM

Got one.  Brought the temp down from 138° to 106°.  Wasn't sure which vent to use, but eventually settled on the left side.  Thanks SFNSXguy!

HMC since 4/3/2012

spam firewall