Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No Broadcast on HR34

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

Sometime when I turn on my HR34, I get no picture and sound on the screen.  When I change the channel, I get the channel banner, but no picture or sound.  I have to play a recorded show on the DVR to get live tv back on the screen.  If I reboot the box, I have live tv back again.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

This has hints of being an HDMI handshake issue.

Do you turn on the TV before or after you turn on the HR34?

Do you have something plugged in between your TV and the HR34 (i.e. a HTiB, sound bar or AVR)?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

AHH, you brought up an idea that I haven't thought about with HDMI and handshake.

Here is my setup.  Everything runs to the AVR.  HR34 to AVR and then AVR to TV.  I control everything from a Harmony remote.   I don't remember which device turns on first.  Either AVR or the TV, but I'm pretty sure HR34 turns on last.  Everything is less than a second of two.

#4 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

Next time it happens try changing inputs on both your TV and your AV receiver to another input, and then back to whatever input you use for DirecTV.  If that fixes the problem then it is an HDMI hadnshake issue.  If it is an HDMI handshake issue you will need to play around with the order you are turning devices on, and how long you wait in between those power on commands.  I personally would work on it with the devices original remotes if you have them.  Then once you figure it out you can go and change the setup on your Harmony remote to do whatever you need it to do.  There are ways to reorder the power up of your devices, and ways to program in pauses between power on commands if you need them.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#5 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:14 AM

I don't think its an HDMI issue because it just happened again, but this time I was watching live tv for a few hours and then a few recorded shows and then when I went back to live tv, I got nothing, not even the channel banner.  When I tried playing recorded show, they played, but nothing live.  I had to reboot the box to get the live feed back again.

Any ideas?   

#6 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:44 AM

I have Genie turned on.  Maybe all of my tuners are being tied up and maybe that is causing the live feed problem?

I ended up turning off Genie to see if the solves the problem <shrug>. 

#7 OFFLINE   jsauser11

jsauser11

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

I have the same issue. The last two days, when I power up the HR-34, it will not display sat or antenna broadcasts. Plays recorded shows fine, but live tv from either sat. or antenna provides only a banner, no audio or viedo. It is not HDMI in my case, since I use Component output for video and coax for audio. When I check sat. signal strength, it first tells me DTV channels 8xxx and 8xxy will be interupted, and when I OK that, there is no sat. signal strength. Have had to reset the receiver both times this happened to get it back to displaying live tv via sat. or antenna.

HR34-700, AM21N, H25-100, HR10-250
Whole Home added 11/13/2011 (Swm8)
HR-34 added 4/24/2012

#8 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

Maybe it's a firmware issue?  I haven't had any problems before.  Please let us know if you find the problem.

#9 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

Maybe it's a firmware issue?  I haven't had any problems before.  Please let us know if you find the problem.

This began for me after last update.... not surprised in the least.

#10 OFFLINE   jsauser11

jsauser11

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

Problem also began after last udate (to 0x6be).

Doing system test when there is no live tv resulted in Diag. Code 11-198.

I sent along a REPORTALL (20130506-1741) and then forced a firmware download of 0x67E. Hopefully, that will solve the issue. Guess I won't know until after a overnight sleep and start tomorrow.

HR-34 added 4/24/2012

#11 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

How often is your box blacking out?

How do you do a force download?  

#12 OFFLINE   jsauser11

jsauser11

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

How often is your box blacking out?

How do you do a force download?  

My HR-34 is "blacking out" every morning (at least, the last 3).

When I rebooted and entered 0,2,4,6,8 at the first blue screen, it downloaded the previous release (0x67E). I think the 0x6BE may be causing this, at the tech. said the 11-198 usually indicates hardware problems, but he had a tech. note that with firmware 0x6BE, this was not true. Another odd issue with the 0x6be was when you were full screen and push the "-" button on the remote to display network status, it would say Swim connected, but internet not connected. However, internet WAS connected since I could pull up TS APPS and send a report. Upon reverting to 0x67E, the "-" network status display worked as expected (SwIM connected, and internet connected).

This roll back to 0x67E also deleted all my recordings and series. Have to start from scratch on scheduling recordings now.

Edited by jsauser11, 06 May 2013 - 05:39 PM.

HR-34 added 4/24/2012

#13 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

At midnight my box rebooted and from what I can tell, there was no update.  My box isn't bad as yours'.  I don't get black screen everyday.

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,305 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

At midnight my box rebooted and from what I can tell, there was no update.  My box isn't bad as yours'.  I don't get black screen everyday.

You can tell by the date of the software, and/or its number.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#15 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

yea im pretty well in the same boat as  jsauser11 maybe worse. mine will black screen after a recording finishes or starting to watch recorded shows ill get just audio. and as of recently lip sync issues have started happen often too. only fixes for me have been starting a different recording or going back to live then back to recordings etc.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...