Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Thinking of coming back to DTV

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chroma601

chroma601

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSylva, NC

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

I left DirecTV two months ago.  I'm on a fixed income and the month to month price was a little unstable.  I finally had to drop down to the most basic package.  Then my cable company, which provides my internet, decided it was time to raise their exorbitant rate for mediocre internet from $40 to $60 (10 Mbps!) .  But if I bundled with their TV, the rate would pretty much stay the same.  With HBO and a decent HD lineup and internet, it's running just a little over $100 a month.

But as we all know, DTV keeps after you.  They are offering Genie, Sunday Ticket, and a decent channel line-up for pretty close to what the cableco is doing if I factor in the internet increase.  The only thing is, I know no DTV bill stays constant.  After three months I'll be paying for HBO, and after a year who knows.  I admit that hands down, DTV has better equipment.  The HR24 I had was well thought out, with little touches like backing up automatically after fast forwarding.  The PQ was very good.  We rarely had weather dropouts.

If I do go back, is there anything I should be asking for?  Should I specify an HR 44 over a 34?  Are there issues with Genie (I see things about slowness and "clients" on the forum)?  Is there anything I should be looking for when going back, such as asking them to throw in MLB Extra Innings?  What's the best way to return to the fold to get the best bang for one's buck?

Thanks for any help.  There's no question DTV has better tech than cable, but their pricing is all over the place.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,362 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

YMMV regarding equipment and promotional prices.  IIRC, the current new customer promotion includes NFL  ST and MLB EI along with a Genie and up to 4 clients and free professional installation.  Unfortunately, there is no way to specify whether you get an HR34 or 44.  as a matter of fact, the 44 might not even me available in your market yet 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

From the sound of things, if you're on a fixed income, you don't need HBO, or Genie. Genie has more charges with it for example

Edited by sunfire9us, 26 April 2013 - 08:08 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,889 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

It really doesn't. They charge the same amount for a genie and client as they would an HR24 and H21 with Whole Home.

#5 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

It really doesn't. They charge the same amount for a genie and client as they would an HR24 and H21 with Whole Home.

Thats what I meant, they charge additional fees like you said for whole home etc. This person obviously doesn't want more fees added on from what he had previously and was saying what he had in the past already cost him too much. That's what I meant

#6 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

I would have a hard time characterizing my DirecTV bill as 'unstable.'  The only time my bill changes is in the fall when my subscription to NHL CI kicks in (payments spread over a 4-month period) and I anticipate the historical February price increase. 

If a customer has some promotion services with an expiration date, then you should anticipate that change and budget accordingly. I just changed my ISP and I have one monthly price for the first six months, then a different price from months 7-12 and then the 'full' price starting month 13. 

But I agreed to those. When my bill goes up, it wouldn't be right to say the pricing from Comcast is unstable.

If the TS had bills changing outside of these types of events, then he needs to review his bill and contact DirecTV.  Their billing, while not always accurate and requires monitoring, isn't unstable IMHO.

Edited by trh, 27 April 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

If I were you, I'd drop the extra like HBO and MLB (unless they were free) and switch providers every 2 years to get the lowest priceBut sounds like you've cut to the bone already. $100/month for TV and internet is hard to beat. To do any better than that,you'd have to consider cutting the cord and switching to just OTA, Netflix and Hulu (not Plus).

#8 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

A fixed income is better than none at all.

That said, I might say OTA and Red Box/ would be your cheapest approach. HBO is an expensive add-on.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#9 OFFLINE   chroma601

chroma601

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSylva, NC

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the replies. OTA is not an option as I live in the mountains and signals are pretty much nonexistent. I've had HBO for years and I really like the programming. I'm also a bit of a tech-head so I really appreciate D's finer touches: cable is clunky. The wife despises the Motorola DVR.

If I can get a decent package for about $45 or $50 (including fees) I'll be close to what I need. I hope the CSRs are good about quoting prices with fees. With a little budgeting I hope we can pull this off. Thinking about waiting till the HR44 is available here...

#10 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

The fee's are pretty standard.  Its the cost of programming.  You will have a two year contract.  The first year they will quote you the special price. Dont forget to ask for free HD for the first year, if they are still doing that.  Make sure they guarantee it is locked in for the year.   For the second year, you can count on the current full monthly rate plus about 5% for their February price increase.  Its the cost of the extra rooms that add up.  Keep it to the minimum you need.  Maybe one client, and carry it from room to room as needed...

Edited by Davenlr, 27 April 2013 - 10:00 PM.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,362 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

. I hope the CSRs are good about quoting prices with fees. With a little budgeting I hope we can pull this off. Thinking about waiting till the HR44 is available here...

The only fees the CSRs are not able to quote is your state and local taxes. These vary widely from state to state

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

Thanks, I appreciate the replies. OTA is not an option as I live in the mountains and signals are pretty much nonexistent. I've had HBO for years and I really like the programming. I'm also a bit of a tech-head so I really appreciate D's finer touches: cable is clunky. The wife despises the Motorola DVR.

If I can get a decent package for about $45 or $50 (including fees) I'll be close to what I need. I hope the CSRs are good about quoting prices with fees. With a little budgeting I hope we can pull this off. Thinking about waiting till the HR44 is available here...

I doubt you'll get what you want for the 45-50 dollar price range.

A quickie at D* shows that if you just get a Genie and no clients at all, pick the Entertainment package, not get free NFL or other things since they aren't offered with the Entertainment package deal, the first 3 months would be about $51/month.  After that with just HBO, it would rise to $69/month.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

spam firewall