Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Newbie whole home question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   whorne

whorne

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

Hello everyone! Love this site. Anyway, I have a question and forgive me for the ignornace as I am new to this.

I presently have a whole home connected setup with two HR-24 and one HR-21 (i think that is right).

I was thinking of getting a genie from some place like solid signal or ebay and replace the HR-21 with it.

Is this something I can do or do I still have to have Directv install it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,165 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Most likely the magic number for you is eight tuners. Genie (5) and two 24s (4) are one too many for your SWiM-8.

DirecTV will change to what you need (Swim-16) if you change the 21 out.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

Since you already have 3 HD-DVRs that means you currently have 6 tuners on your system.  If you were to replace one of your HD-DVRs with a Genie, then you would be up to 9 tuners.  That requires a SWM-16 install which you are very unlikely to have currently.  In my opinion you should order it through DirecTV so they come out and get everything set up right for you.  If you don't know much about it, setting up a SWM-16 on your own can be somewhat difficult.  Not to mention by the time you buy a SWM 16, the power inserter, splitters, LNB, and Genie you are probably looking at spending over $400, ordering the Genie through DirecTV you will likely be able to get it for $300 or less depending on your account status.

Edited by Beerstalker, 25 April 2013 - 03:46 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#4 OFFLINE   whorne

whorne

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

Thanks very much for the quick responses. I will probably go through DirecTV based on what you guys said.

#5 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,346 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

The other option is to disable one of the tuners on a 24, but I would still go through Directv and get it done right, have all the tuners working.

#6 OFFLINE   whorne

whorne

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

The other option is to disable one of the tuners on a 24, but I would still go through Directv and get it done right, have all the tuners working.

Just out of curiosity, how does one disable a tuner as you suggested? 

Thanks

Edited by veryoldschool, 27 April 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#7 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,310 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

Just out of curiosity, how does one disable a tuner as you suggested? 

Thanks

You would repeat the satellite set up and specify "single tuner" at the appropriate step

Edited by peds48, 29 April 2013 - 08:36 PM.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,347 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

I wouldn't try that IMO unless you don't record much on that DVR. Otherwise if you record a program on one channel while watching another than it will take you to that recording channel and can't watch live tv on another unless the recording finishes or you stop it from recording.

Edited by acostapimps, 28 April 2013 - 12:22 PM.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#9 OFFLINE   SkyHunterSky

SkyHunterSky

• Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLouisville

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

Don't do it just go through dtv . Be stupid to have an hd DVR only used 1 tuner. Unless you plan o never use it.

#10 OFFLINE   whorne

whorne

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was just curious. I plan on going through Directv when I finally decide to make the change.

spam firewall