Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

External Hard Drive for Genie

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

Fun fact debunked:  DISH only charges an EHD activation fee on their ViP211(k) non-DVR receiver that converts it to single-tuner DVR functionality.  This is a capability not shared by the DIRECTV H2x series of receivers.

EHDs are free to activate on all DISH HD DVRs and doing so doesn't disable the internal drive nor force you to reprogram your recording preferences.  Additionally, DISH EHD recordings can be shared among all HD DVRs on the account; something DIRECTV hasn't seen fit to implement.

I meant to edit that out as it kiltered off topic, but from page 10 of their Commercial Customer Agreement Exhibit 1-Fees it states a one time forty dollar charge to connect an external hard drive to any ViP receiver. The ViP 722/ViP 612 is a HDDVR reciever, so their customer agreement would seem they charge the fee to that receiver as well but it may be a fee listed on their agreement they do not actually charge anymore. And again, this is very off topic which is my bad. If you wish to discuss further please do so with me via PM as we can get back on topic as this is not a Dish vs DirecTV external hard drive thread.

Edited by Volatility, 29 April 2013 - 11:15 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,855 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

You should read more at dish forum about real facts ... quoting obsolete agreement is not proper argument

#23 OFFLINE   sliderbob

sliderbob

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

Just wondering if this drive can be used on the Genie? If so, how would I make a sata connection in the back of the Genie?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item27cdad687e

Edited by sliderbob, 04 May 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,855 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

Just wondering if this drive can be used on the Genie? If so, how would I make a sata connection in the back of the Genie?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item27cdad687e

You can't use it. Look for external drives with eSATA connector.

#25 OFFLINE   sliderbob

sliderbob

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

Ok. Thank you!

#26 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,703 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

Actually you can, you just need to get the correct adapter (the bottom piece) in order to get the eSATA but is no recommended as this hard drive is not actively. Cooled
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#27 OFFLINE   sliderbob

sliderbob

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

Actually you can, you just need to get the correct adapter (the bottom piece) in order to get the eSATA but is no recommended as this hard drive is not actively. Cooled

I've been looking for an adapter, but cannot find one. Basically a female usb 3.0 to male sata/esata.  OR even a micro b to sata/esata

#28 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,855 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

Post here please an example of such adapter (if you know what you're talking about).

He need DIFFERENT enclosure (that means with different internal controller eg "adapter"), with eSATA connector (some of the enclosures eg external drives has more then one:USB 2 or 3, FireWire).

#29 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

Post here please an example of such adapter (if you know what you're talking about).

He need DIFFERENT enclosure (that means with different internal controller eg "adapter"), with eSATA connector (some of the enclosures eg external drives has more then one:USB 2 or 3, FireWire).

The GoFlex drives (that sliderbob linked to) have adapters that can be swapped out for different ports, which is what peds48 was referring to. I have several GoFlex drives with a combination of FireWire 800 adapters and some with USB3. So he does know what he's talking about and one could exist.

That being said, Seagate does not currently make an eSATA adapter for the GoFlex drives. They previously made one for the GoFlex laptop versions but they have never made one for the GoFlex Desk which is linked.

Edited by JBv, 05 May 2013 - 02:55 PM.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#30 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,855 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

The GoFlex drives (that sliderbob linked to) have adapters that can be swapped out for different ports, which is what peds48 was referring to. I have several GoFlex drives with a combination of FireWire 800 adapters and some with USB3. So he does know what he's talking about and one could exist.

That being said, Seagate does not currently make an eSATA adapter for the GoFlex drives. They previously made one for the GoFlex laptop versions but they have never made one for the GoFlex Desk which is linked.

That would be final nail into his coffin ! :D

#31 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,855 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Lets he speak for himself !

#32 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,855 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

Adding to that: you can't get DIFFERENT adapter(bottom part); you MUST buy new whole GoFlex with proper(so far not-existing) eSATA connector !

#33 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

Adding to that: you can't get DIFFERENT adapter(bottom part); you MUST buy new whole GoFlex with proper(so far not-existing) eSATA connector !

Well no...if an eSATA adapter existed for the GoFlex it would work with any GoFlex, so you would not need an entirely new GoFlex. A GoFlex setup consists of a typical SATA drive in a plastic housing with the SATA/power ports exposed. The GoFlex adapters are just SATA to Firewire/USB/Thunderbolt connectors with a power port.

But anyway, what do they say about arguing with people on the internet? ;)

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#34 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,703 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

Yes, I was under the impression that there was an eSATA adapter since I have the same drive for my Mac and I was looking for the Thunderbolt adapter and I though the rep at staples who ordered the adapter for me said there was an eSATA, but upon for further research it appears that there is no eSATA adapter for the GoFlex drives.  Sorry for the confusion….. :blackeye:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#35 OFFLINE   sliderbob

sliderbob

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

Oh well. Thanks for all of the information, guys. I'll prpbably sell my 2tb Seagate and apply the funds to a new 2tb or higher sata/esata drive.

#36 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,855 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

It would be same case as someone will tell to an owner of [gasoline] car to buy an adapter to run on diesel ! :D

Edited by P Smith, 05 May 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#37 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

I have 2 externals without fans, never had a problem in the years I've been using them.  Enclosures without fans are fine.

And using an adapter to go from USB 3.0 to eSATA is not a good idea due to the speed differences.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#38 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,703 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

It would be same case as someone will tell to an owner of [gasoline] car to buy an adapter to run on diesel ! :D

I have 2 externals without fans, never had a problem in the years I've been using them.  Enclosures without fans are fine.

And using an adapter to go from USB 3.0 to eSATA is not a good idea due to the speed differences.

The hard drive inside the GoFLex is just that a plain hard drive.  the enclosure is what houses the type of interface.  and speed is not the issue since you can get a thunderbolt "adapter" which is waaaaaayyyyy faster than eSATA.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#39 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,855 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

The hard drive inside the GoFLex is just that a plain hard drive.  the enclosure is what houses the type of interface.  and speed is not the issue since you can get a thunderbolt "adapter" which is waaaaaayyyyy faster than eSATA.

way what? 10Gbps vs 6Gbps wayyyy faster?
Take another shot, like 15K RPM drive. Before grabbing interface.

#40 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,703 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:26 AM

hmm

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Esata#eSATA

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...