Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

External Hard Drive for Genie

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,064 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

The hard drive inside the GoFLex is just that a plain hard drive.  the enclosure is what houses the type of interface.  and speed is not the issue since you can get a thunderbolt "adapter" which is waaaaaayyyyy faster than eSATA.

Any time you use an adapter to go from one type of connection to another you are losing speed, period.  The speeds you are thinking of are when you use the correct connectors with the correct devices.  Also, if you're going from a faster medium, which you claim, to a slower medium, which you claim, you're creating a bottleneck.  

With the DirecTV DVRs you need to use an enclosure that already has eSATA.  Not some rigged up concoction where adapters are used.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

With the DirecTV DVRs you need to use an enclosure that already has eSATA. Not some rigged up concoction where adapters are used.

But this is the point you Gus are missing. Is not not a "rigged up" connection. The eSATA (if it existed) would connect DIRECTLY to the drive. Is not much of an "adaptor" but much like an interface. There would be no difference if the drive came enclosed with an eSATA interface.

Edited by peds48, 07 May 2013 - 10:53 AM.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#43 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

But this is the point you Gus are missing. Is not not a "rigged up" connection. The eSATA (if it existed) would connect DIRECTLY to the drive. Is much of an "adaptor" but much like an interface. There would be no difference if the drive came enclosed with an eSATA interface.

Then let me share my 2 cents:

- you'll not find any ready-to-use enclosures without internal controller what convert SATA interface/cmds of internal drive from/to  USB/eSATA/FIreWire/TB external host;

- these enclosures have no provision to change the controller (without EE knowledge and some work);

- there are some sort of "external" enclosure (one sample is EasySWAP box what I used for 622/922 last years);

- for DTV DVR (or other like OTA DVR CM-7400) it would be a) easy; b)reliable;c) cheaper if there was an enclosure without any controller, just a case with  a fan and short cable inside: HDD's SATA to eSATA connector. Personally, I did lobotomize one of those, Seagate FreeAgent type; it worked much better without internal controller.

I wrote about this tidbits a few times here ... but :( ppl not searching and not reading ...

Edited by P Smith, 07 May 2013 - 10:17 AM.

#44 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,064 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:55 AM

But this is the point you Gus are missing. Is not not a "rigged up" connection. The eSATA (if it existed) would connect DIRECTLY to the drive. Is not much of an "adaptor" but much like an interface. There would be no difference if the drive came enclosed with an eSATA interface.

If you're using an adapter because the enclosure doesn't have eSATA output, which you are promoting, then it IS a rigged up connection.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#45 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

If you're using an adapter because the enclosure doesn't have eSATA output, which you are promoting, then it IS a rigged up connection.

Wow, you just don't get it, right?   :bang

"The eSATA (if it existed) would connect DIRECTLY to the drive".  meaning the hard drive will be housed in enclosure with only eSATA.  no adaptor whatsoever.   "Is not much of an "adaptor" but much like an interface"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#46 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,064 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

Wow, you just don't get it, right?   :bang

"The eSATA (if it existed) would connect DIRECTLY to the drive".  meaning the hard drive will be housed in enclosure with only eSATA.  no adaptor whatsoever.   "Is not much of an "adaptor" but much like an interface"

"if it existed", in this case it doesn't.  Also, above you were talking about using thunderbolt, that would most certainly require an adapter and be a rigged up connection.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#47 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

"if it existed", in this case it doesn't.  Also, above you were talking about using thunderbolt, that would most certainly require an adapter and be a rigged up connection.

OMG, IT does not.  I said that, it was a mistake, ohhh wait, you choose to deliberately skip that part in an effort to keep the charade…

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#48 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

Maybe this will clear up some confusion.

This is a GoFlex base. All it does is convert SATA to your interface of choice. An eSATA GoFlex base would convert SATA to...eSATA. In other words it wouldn't be an electrical conversion, just a physical one. You can even stick a normal SATA bare drive on a GoFlex base and it works.

Attached Thumbnails

• goflex base.jpg

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#49 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

This is a GoFlex base. All it does is convert SATA to your interface of choice. An eSATA GoFlex base would convert SATA to...eSATA. In other words it wouldn't be an electrical conversion, just a physical one. You can even stick a normal SATA bare drive on a GoFlex base and it works.

I see you didn't get it ... please re-read post#43

there is no "base" it's a integral part of GoFlex; you can't 'change it", you must buy NEW GoFlex with desired interface (if it exist)

"conversion" ... oh man ! see post#43

#50 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

:nono2:

there is no "base" it's a integral part of GoFlex; you can't 'change it", you must buy NEW GoFlex with desired interface (if it exist)

OK, actually you can make a GoFlex work with any DirecTV system easily. You convinced me to find a solution.

You would need this: http://www.addonics....aadcpac12v.php AASAPS

Which would get you power to the drive.

And this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812120130

Which would convert the drive's SATA interface to an eSATA cable.

And here's a picture of the base of a GoFlex drive with if you still don't get it...

It's not branded as a Seagate solution but it does the exact same thing if such a solution did exist.

Attached Thumbnails

• goflex drive side.jpg

Edited by JBv, 08 May 2013 - 01:10 PM.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#51 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,064 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

OMG, IT does not.  I said that, it was a mistake, ohhh wait, you choose to deliberately skip that part in an effort to keep the charade…

The only thing I'm skipping, from now on, are your posts....

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#52 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

No you NOT…..

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#53 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

The only thing I'm skipping, from now on, are your posts....

Go right ahead…. !rolling

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#54 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

At least someone is smart enough to understand…. :righton:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#55 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

:nono2:

OK, actually you can make a GoFlex work with any DirecTV system easily. You convinced me to find a solution.

You would need this: http://www.addonics....aadcpac12v.php AASAPS

Which would get you power to the drive.

And this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812120130

Which would convert the drive's SATA interface to an eSATA cable.

And here's a picture of the base of a GoFlex drive with if you still don't get it...

It's not branded as a Seagate solution but it does the exact same thing if such a solution did exist.

1st - I have it, the GoFlex USB type, so don't worry

2nd - I have the cables {L-I} and using them often more then you could imagine :D

3rd - I'm using not just "your invented" contraption (it would qualify as Mickey Mouse job)  but many different , include similar ad-hock type but for short tests - no one would recommend such umm "smart" solution for DVR !

#56 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

if you can not use search , here is URL for the much real solution if you pretend to have it http://www.dbstalk.c...tec +easy +swap

Edited by P Smith, 08 May 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#57 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

Sorry, but you are wrong, you can change it out, and they do sell different ones so you can do so. 

Here's one for using it with Firewire:

http://www.amazon.co...ef=pd_sim_pc_13

Here's one for Thunderbolt:

http://www.amazon.co...9/dp/B009HQCAPQ

And USB 3.0.

http://www.amazon.co...adapter usb 3.0

They make an eSata one for the portable 2.5" Goflex Drives

http://www.amazon.co...x esata adapter

But not the 3.5" desk version  He wouldn't be the first person looking for a way to hook his GoFlex up with an eSata dock.  I found this thread right on Seagate's own forums where a few people were asking them to make one.

http://forums.seagat...ter/td-p/114150

Edited by Beerstalker, 09 May 2013 - 09:24 AM.

• peds48 and JBv like this
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#58 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

Well, while you right in general, for particular thread it's still not feasible. :(

Quota of Seagate person from that thread:

I talked to our engineers about this, and there won't be an eSATA module for the GoFlex Desk drive.

The reason behind it is that eSATA is an older and slower interface, compared to USB3.0.

#59 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

Sorry, but you are wrong, you can change it out, and they do sell different ones so you can do so. 

Here's one for using it with Firewire:

http://www.amazon.co...ef=pd_sim_pc_13

Here's one for Thunderbolt:

http://www.amazon.co...9/dp/B009HQCAPQ

And USB 3.0.

http://www.amazon.co...adapter usb 3.0

They make an eSata one for the portable 2.5" Goflex Drives

http://www.amazon.co...x esata adapter

But not the 3.5" desk version  He wouldn't be the first person looking for a way to hook his GoFlex up with an eSata dock.  I found this thread right on Seagate's own forums where a few people were asking them to make one.

http://forums.seagat...ter/td-p/114150

Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia.  Finally somebody call them out on how it is….

Awesome  :righton:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#60 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

Well, while you right in general, for particular thread it's still not feasible. :(

Quota of Seagate person from that thread:

I talked to our engineers about this, and there won't be an eSATA module for the GoFlex Desk drive.

The reason behind it is that eSATA is an older and slower interface, compared to USB3.0.

so this makes it wrong??????

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...