Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

External Hard Drive for Genie

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

I have 2 externals without fans, never had a problem in the years I've been using them.  Enclosures without fans are fine.

And using an adapter to go from USB 3.0 to eSATA is not a good idea due to the speed differences.

Yup, I haven't used an external device with a fan in it in years.  

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

Fantom GreenDrive 3TB eSATA

Would one of these work?

#63 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

It should, but you must try and report here, positive or negative personal experience ... don't forget to post your DVR full model name, like HR34-700

#64 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:47 AM

It should, but you must try and report here, positive or negative personal experience ... don't forget to post your DVR full model name, like HR34-700

I have a Genie HR44-500

#65 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 848 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

HR44-500, WD20EURS (2TB), Vantec Nextar 3 enclosure. Working fine so far.

Steve

My Setup

#66 OFFLINE   whorne

whorne

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

HR44-500, WD20EURS (2TB), Vantec Nextar 3 enclosure. Working fine so far.

Thanks for the info. If you do not mind me asking, where did you get this setup?

#67 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,113 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the info. If you do not mind me asking, where did you get this setup?

I have the exact same setup on my HR24-200 (where it also works great) and got it all at Micro Center.  Micro Center no longer sells the WD20EURS but I just recently received an ad from Amazon listing it. One thing I did learn about the enclosure is that if you completely power down the DVR for any length of time it will spin down the drive.  Then when you restart the DVR it will not spin up the drive quick enough and the DVR will boot on the internal drive.  The solution is to power cycle the enclosure, wait 15 - 20 seconds and then power the DVR

My Setup

#68 OFFLINE   whorne

whorne

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

I have a Micro Center close by. I will have to stop by and take a look.

I did notice this at the local Best Buy. http://www.bestbuy.c...65#tab=overview

Do you think it will work?

#69 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

I ordered a Fantom GreenDrive 3TB eSATA, coming tomorrow.  I'll let you know how it works out. 

I had two HR24s?? two tuner DVRs at one location.  One died and replaced yesterday with a Genie plus added a mini Genie on a TV we only used for DVDs and replaced an out of date SAT receiver on another set with a mini Genie.

So now with the Genie's five tuners (and 3TB) I don't need the second two tuner DVR and will be getting rid of that but there are a lot of shows on that we need to watch down as that was our main DVR and the other was for mostly kids shows and a few series pass conflicts.

I wish I could just transfer all my recordings from the old DVR to the Genie and be done with it.  

Now I have three TVs with DVR capability instead of one and the monthly price will eventually be about the same.

#70 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,113 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

It should work, what is nice about the EURS series is that they were specifically designed for DVR service. Here is a linkhttp://www.amazon.co...ywords=wd20eurs

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...