Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper w/ sling - Joey Issue

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ahsfds

ahsfds

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and if you if anyone has any advice to fix it:

Had Dish install a hopper and 2 joeys about a month ago.  When we signed up the tech was supposed to bring a hopper w/ sling but he ran out. so I called DISH and they sent me one.  I followed all instructions in the box with the hopper w/sling and I was off and running, well kind of.  With my original hopper I was able to turn off the main TV that has the hopper hooked up to it and still be able watch TV with no problems on my joeys.  When I got the Hopper w/sling, when I turn off the main TV that has the Hopper w/sling hooked up to it, the joeys will stop working (e.g. the menu screen will delay in coming up for 5 to 10 seconds when I hit the menu button and the picture will freeze and the joey will be trying to locate the hopper). If I turn on the main TV that has the hopper w/sling the joeys will work again sometimes.  Sometimes I have to reset the hopper w/sling before everything is working again.  I had a tech out here and they worked on it for a while but couldn’t figure it out.  I really don’t want to leave on my main TV all night if I want to watch something on a joey in another room.

I am running S309 on the hopper w/sling and S292 on my Joey

Any advice would be great. 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,042 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

Are you sure you hooked up everything the way that it was before?  I can't think of any reason why your TV being on would make a difference to the Joeys.  It could be a sign of a problem with your new Hopper if everything is cabled correctly.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

check your cabling via the PDFs at www.dishuser.org/hopper.php Information

Edited by P Smith, 25 April 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   ahsfds

ahsfds

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

I checked all my cables and took a look at the pdf's everything is hooked exactly the way it should be. Should of kept the original hopper. Maybe if I reset the joeys and see if that works

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

reset all - disconnect power from H and J and Solo node, then turn on Node, H then Js

#6 OFFLINE   ahsfds

ahsfds

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

Disconnected everything, restarted everything in order and still no change.  Need to call DISH again and see if they need to replace the units, if that will fix the problem. 

Thanks for helping me out with this. 

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

don't forget to post your outcome ...

#8 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

...when I turn off the main TV that has the Hopper w/sling hooked up to it, the joeys will stop working ...

OK, I have to ask the obvious.  When you're turning off the TV you just mean pressing the power button right?  Not flipping the switch on a surge protector or something to keep power consumption down?  Also, is it when you turn the TV off, or turn the Hopper off?  What brand of TV is it?

#9 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

Is there a setting for HDMI to control devices that can be enabled or disabled on the TV or the Hopper?

Norm

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

so far using two cable HDMIDVI and DVI-HDMI, connected together would stop CEC cmds

#11 OFFLINE   ahsfds

ahsfds

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

OK, I have to ask the obvious.  When you're turning off the TV you just mean pressing the power button right?  Not flipping the switch on a surge protector or something to keep power consumption down?  Also, is it when you turn the TV off, or turn the Hopper off?  What brand of TV is it?

yes I am turning the TV off using the small button on the dish remote control that says "TV".  I have also stopped using the remote and just turning the TV off on the TV itself.  I have not been turning off the the surge protector at all.  The joeys will stop working when I turn off the main TV that has the hopper hooked up to it.  When I turn the TV off, the hopper still has the green power button on.    I have a JVC 42 inch LCD TV I am using right now. 

#12 OFFLINE   ahsfds

ahsfds

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

don't forget to post your outcome ...

I will.  i have the tech coming out on Thrusday of this week to take another look at this. 

#13 OFFLINE   ahsfds

ahsfds

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

Is there a setting for HDMI to control devices that can be enabled or disabled on the TV or the Hopper?

There is nothing on the TV or hopper.  I have ran into this same issue with my xbox360 on another TV.  If i turn xbox 360 on and not the tv the xbox 360 will not power up until the TV is on. 

#14 OFFLINE   ahsfds

ahsfds

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

so far using two cable HDMIDVI and DVI-HDMI, connected together would stop CEC cmds

I will try this before the tech comes out. Thanks for the advice

#15 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

Yeah I gotta go with something funny with the CEC commands.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#16 OFFLINE   ahsfds

ahsfds

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

Yeah I gotta go with something funny with the CEC commands.

I will need to try the hdmi-dvi dvi-hdmi cable. Checked the TV and moved the hdmi to other ports on the TV and still the same thing. I didn't see anything on the hopper to mess with cec commands. I looked all over the Internet to find cec commands for my tv or a service code that would get me access to disable the cec commands on the tv but nothing. It is weird how the orginial hopper didn't have the issue with my tv and cec commands but the new hopper with sling does.

Edited by ahsfds, 29 April 2013 - 06:57 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

I believe the CEC issues should be resolved with the next update.

#18 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

Make sure it is not in partial zoom.  This is a know issue.

RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#19 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

I have heard that some surge protectors are sensitive to whether the TV is on or off.

When you turn off the TV , the surge protector powers down the whole circuit, see if that is what is happening.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#20 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 397 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

Do you have a Sony tv?

spam firewall