Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DOC channel going away

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

http://en.wikipedia....mentary_Channel

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

no it isnt

#3 OFFLINE   Lucid504

Lucid504

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

no it isnt

Yeah it is,

http://www.adweek.co...rk-pivot-148184

#4 ONLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

no it isnt

Why do you say that?

#5 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:42 AM

It is because advertisers are not interested in funding programming geared to anyone over 34 years of age, and therefore, media companies must aim their programming at the 18 to 34 demographic to be able to draw in revenu.

#6 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

http://en.wikipedia....vot_(TV_channel)

It is a shame to lose such a quality channel, but I won't mind seeing an addition to social advocacy media...and I missed Farscape...

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#7 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

It is because advertisers are not interested in funding programming geared to anyone over 34 years of age, and therefore, media companies must aim their programming at the 18 to 34 demographic to be able to draw in revenu.

I wish I could see the demographics on the actual cable/satellite subscribers. I'm sure they would tell a different story.

The Documentary Channel is one of the few SD channels I actually enjoy watching from time to time. I hope they will resurface somehow with an HD version.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#8 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

I watched this every now and then, will be sad to see it go and so much crap remain.

#9 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:39 AM

Worthless channel.  Mostly preachy conspiracy theorist "documentaries" light on facts.

#10 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

It will show Little Mosque on the Prairie? Nice, would love to see the entire series in HD.

#11 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 919 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

We should have a thread on "anticipating" what other channels may go under.

#12 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 617 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

It will show Little Mosque on the Prairie? Nice, would love to see the entire series in HD.

They are going to show "Farscape" as well.

Considering that the only true full time educational channel is Smithsonian, it is discouraging to see another channel fall to demographics, so called "reality" programming and profits. History, History 2, Discovery Networks, Science, National Geographic, TLC, etc. all have become nothing more than reality and speculation channels. Science is now running science fiction programming; to boot. It did not take long to see many of the channels go from thought provoking channels like "Ice Road Truckers", "Swamp Men", "Hoarding Buried Alive", "Ax Men", "Deadliest Catch", "Ancient Aliens", "pawn Stars", "American Treasures", a number of 2012 doomsday shows, etc. Combined with reality shows and recent ABC, NBC, CBS,and FOX reruns from the past 10 years; all cut to get 20 minutes of ads an hours, make any form of cable and satellite less justifiable for the cost. Much of my viewing consists of movies and very few scripted programs. and that once in a while documentary that might pop up of one of those aforementioned channels. In most cases it has gotten so bad, that PBS shows like "NOVA" , "Frontline" and "American Experience" provide better documentary programming; with no annoying ads, except during pledge drives.

The "Vikings" and "The Bible" wear attempts to attract viewers to History. But, both are entertainment shows, not historical accounts. Though I enjoyed both shows, they were not a historical examination of the Vikings or The Bible. Yes, these two series drew record viewers to History, and History made a point to advertise shows like "Ax Men" and "Pawn Stars". Sort of sad when you think about it.

• cfkane likes this

#13 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Worthless channel.  Mostly preachy conspiracy theorist "documentaries" light on facts.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#14 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

I've never watched it because I  keep my guide on HD..

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#15 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

I enjoyed the occasional show on the Documentary Channel.  We saw "The Story of the Weeping Camel" which is about life among the nomads of Mongolia.  This was very meaningful to my family as it was shortly after we hosted a mother and her very young son from Mongolia in our home.  They were in the US for heart surgery as part of the Children's Heart Project (see http://www.samaritan...eart-project-2/).  This was not a film that I imagine any other D* channels would carry (OK - maybe PBS).

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#16 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

DirecTV will be happy.  They can add another shopping channel on the 101!!!!   :nono2:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,725 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

This is where that "no it isn't" comes into play ...

The channel is changing format. Unless the carriage contract is ending (or is ended as part of the change) any carrier carrying DOC will just change their EPG name and continue on.

DOC "going away" isn't about leaving a carrier ... it is about the format going away.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,900 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

Even that depends. DirecTV still had a feed of Fox Reality for several months after it changed over to Nat Geo Wild.

#19 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

Why do you say that?

Technically it's not going away, just re-branded.

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,725 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:29 AM

Even that depends. DirecTV still had a feed of Fox Reality for several months after it changed over to Nat Geo Wild.

I'm still enjoying not watching SoapNet. :)

There have been many format changes that seem to leave a stuck channel ... and they come from channels who wanted to renegotiate carriage for the new feed. Sometimes that leaves a ghost channel (the carrier contracted to carry the original channel and the provider must continue to provide a channel). If I recall correctly there were two Versus channels ... one with hockey and one without with the one you got depending on the deal made with your carrier.

Most channels just change their name and go on with existing carriage. That is the reason why channels are bought ... to get a foot in the door. To make it so that on day one they have 40 million (or more) subscribers instead of needing to find carriers willing to take a chance on an unproven network.

I have not heard any carrier say they will refuse to carry the new DOC ... so I expect it will be an example of the latter more than the former.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...