Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Drops Some Braves games.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

This is why I love MLB TV. Dish can shove it.

http://www.accessatl...sports-south-b/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

This is why I love MLB TV. Dish can shove it.

http://www.accessatl...sports-south-b/

Not an issue for me. I'll catch any Braves highlights on the MLB Network (or StrikeZone) shortly after they happen for those games. I really don't watch many baseball games from start to finish now since Dish activated the MLB Network.

#3 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,242 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

Ah yes, the old trick of we negotiated one price for our carriage, but now because we're carrying more games I think you should pay us more. It's almost like you have an agreement with someone to mow your lawn once a week at an agreed upon rate but then after he's been doing it for a couple of months he comes back and says that he's going to increase the number of times he mows to every 5 days and expects to paid extra for increased number of times he's going to have to mow now. Wait a minute, that's not what was agreed to, you just can't change the terms because you want to get paid more even if you think you are providing additional service. I can definitely understand why Dish would be annoyed at this!

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#4 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

I don't understand this. Since when is the fee per program? Do Dish and FSS have some special agreement that others do not have?

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#5 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

Tonyd79,

Fox Sports South picked up the Peachtree TV games in the Atlanta area. They already had in them in outer markets like mine. I can't believe Dish didn't pick these games up.

I don't understand this. Since when is the fee per program? Do Dish and FSS have some special agreement that others do not have?

#6 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

been a sat. customer since 1997, but it seems like cable is a better option now like DBS was back then, the gaps have narrowed, the big advandage in price of the product has vanished. Im tired of Dish playing games with programing , 

#7 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

Ah yes, the old trick of we negotiated one price for our carriage, but now because we're carrying more games I think you should pay us more. 

The first problem is, is that this has become SOP for RSNs. I have no idea how pay-tv providers ever signed on to these kinds of contracts in the first place. And the second problem is that Dish is always the last pay-tv provider to make a deal.

#8 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

FOX Sports South and SportSouth has aquired the broadcast rights to 47 Atlanta Braves games within the Atlanta market area. FOX Sports has asked DISH to pay a significant local surcharge for games that DISH previously had rights to carry under an agreement with Peachtree TV.  Moving these games to a new network was not DISH’s choice, and was out of our control.  DISH continues to negotiate with FOX Sports in hopes that our customers do not miss many additional games

#9 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

Ok so is this local atlanta problem ? does people outside metro area affected by this ,

Im a 100 miles from ATL do I still get al games?

#10 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

This affects those customers who were provided the channels by Peachtree TV.  Thanks.

Ok so is this local atlanta problem ? does people outside metro area affected by this ,

Im a 100 miles from ATL do I still get al games?

#11 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

Next to college football, the Braves are the biggest deal in the Southeast. I hope this get's sorted out soon.

• Tiny likes this

#12 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

http://www.accessatl...h-dish-network/

“Dish appears to have no interest in working towards an agreement to carry these games, and no progress has been made toward resolving this issue for metro Atlanta Braves fans."

#13 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

I am 1000% in agreement with Dish. FSS acquired the games for a hefty price, now wants Dish to carry them for more than they were paying originally, and in the middle of an existing contract. This does not just affect local subscribers in the end everyone has to pay more when the RSN's do this because everyone's subscription rates are the same, Dish doesn't charge more per area. Maybe they should when this happens, then lets see how many say Dish should just keep paying more. This is one (of many) reasons Cable costs so much.

Edited by tampa8, 07 May 2013 - 07:28 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

I am 1000% in agreement with Dish. FSS acquired the games for a hefty price, now wants Dish to carry them for more than they were paying originally, and in the middle of an existing contract. This does not just affect local subscribers in the end everyone has to pay more when the RSN's do this because everyone's subscription rates are the same, Dish doesn't charge more per area. Maybe they should when this happens, then lets see how many say Dish should just keep paying more. This is one (of many) reasons Cable costs so much.

Dish already paid for those games through it's contract with Peachtree tv. And now FSS has acquired the rights and they want Dish to essentially pay twice to carry the games. Unless Dish is getting a refund from Peachtree because they aren't showing the games any more I don't see why they should be expected to pay another channel for the same games they already paid for. So yeah I agree with Dish on this one too.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#15 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

So are the other providers all suckers then?

#16 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

So are the other providers all suckers then?

You said it.

#17 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

Again, yes, that's why Cable costs so much. I doubt Dish is being asked to pay twice, more likely they no longer have to pay Peachtree that amount, but FSS wants much more for those games.

#18 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but Dish really isn't *much* different in price than DirecTV.  This whole thing just seems like Dish being Dish to me. FWIW, the Braves contract with Peachtree would have been up after this season.

I just went to the DirecTV forum, people having issues getting Pirates games on DirecTV, in an area were Dish carries the games. 

Again, yes, that's why Cable costs so much. I doubt Dish is being asked to pay twice, more likely they no longer have to pay Peachtree that amount, but FSS wants much more for those games.

Edited by dstout, 07 May 2013 - 08:57 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

It's Deja Vu all over again!  The same thing happened back around '03 when The Cleveland Indians moved all their OTA (aka free tv via WUAB-43) games to Fox Sports Ohio.  The year it happened there was no problem, however the following season, without warning or explanition, we lost half of the schedule of games.  They even balcked out games on WGN when the Tribe palyed the Sox (WGN was never blacked out previously even when FSO had the game on Dish). 

Is Dish still paying Peachtree?  What's left on that network now that they lost The Braves?

Edited by Michael P, 09 May 2013 - 03:52 PM.

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#20 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

I think Peachtree TV has some SEC Sports for one more year.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...