Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2012-13 Season Ratings - May Sweeps

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

Beginning with the Thursday ratings below, we're in a period called Nielsen May Sweeps. This year the so-called "Upfronts" week - when the broadcast networks announce and sell to advertisers their lineup for 2013-14 - begins in the last week of May Sweeps. So many shows still airing that are "on the bubble" for a renewal for next year will make it or break it over the next three weeks.

130425ratings.jpg

130425avgs.jpg

CBS, which last night averaged 41% of total viewers in the 8-10 pm competition and 57% in the 8-11 pm competition, has no Thursday night shows in doubt other than "Two and a Half Men" which is really just tying up contracts for actors. What has the advertising community all in a buzz is that the network's CEO Les Moonves has not announced the percentage increase in next year's advertising rates. Because of the dominance of the network, for several years he's announced double digit percentages (over 9%) well ahead of the Upfronts, something no other network has done.

Fox's "American Idol" results show again came in #2 in its hour, losing outright in the demo to "Big Bang Theory" and tying with "Two and a Half Men." Last year "Idol" pulled 3.9/12 - 14.45 compared to this year's 2.7/9 - 11.10, a 31% drop in the demo and a 23% drop in total viewers. That could be attributed to a general decline in live broadcast TV viewing in the younger age demo except that "Big Bang Theory" last year pulled 4.0/13 -  12.52 but saw a 5% increase in the demo and a 15% increase in total viewers with this year's 4.2/14 -14.38. It's not that "Idol" won't be renewed, but it does have problems. And "Glee" is running behind "Touch" which is in the Thursday 9 pm slot last year.

ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" at 9 pm and "Scandal" at 10 pm both won the demo in their time slots.The network will pick up both these shows, but has to find something to do with Thursday's at 8 pm.

NBC has no keepers in the Thursday lineup by any standards other than those used by The CW. But we'll see what they do.

The CW. Without knowing what their web site streaming hits and music sales look like, it's nearly impossible to understand the renewal machinations at The CW.

Edited by phrelin, 26 April 2013 - 10:50 AM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

130426ratings.jpg

130426avgs.jpg

CBS retained the bragging rights to both the two hour and the three hour contests. "Vegas" is running very weak for a CBS show and has not been picked up for next year.

ABC's "Happy Endings" appears to be on its way to an unhappy ending if ratings determine anything for the Disney folks.

NBC has already picked up "Grimm" which moves to Tuesday next week. "Fashion Star" is a star burning very dimly. If the network really wants to let that first hour go, Brian Williams "Rock Center" could be moved to that first hour giving it even lower ratings.

Fox's "Touch" has put the touch on the network which is essentially giving it charity. It is performing worse than any show they've supported through a season.

The CW's "Nikita" is likely to be renewed though without knowing what its web site streaming hits and music sales look like it's difficult to know what revenue the network is getting.

Edited by phrelin, 27 April 2013 - 11:24 AM.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

Sunday May Sweeps ratings don't mean much for renewals for 2013-14 unless Fox is thinking about changes in its animated lineup. But here's the first Sunday of May Sweeps:

130428ratings.jpg

130428avgs.jpg

CBS won every half hour in total viewers. They won or tied for the lead in the demo in thee 7:30, 8:00, 8:30, 10:00, and 10:30 half hours. "The Good Wife" doesn't draw the demo but from the finale it appears they may be trying for a younger audience next year

Spoiler

ABC is settling for #2 overall. "Red Widow" won't get a renewal, of course. On another night "Revenge" would be iffy, but given that in the Fall NBC's NFL game dominates the ratings I assume they'd prefer to give it at least 13 episodes and replace it in January 2014. At this point "Once Upon A Time" rating must be disappointing though more than adequate for a renewal.

NBC, as noted, will do football in the fall. Who knows what they're thinking about for the latter part of the 2013-14 season.

Fox. I assume they are happy with their demo ratings overall. But "The Cleveland Show" at 7:30 ran #3 as did "Bob’s Burgers" at 8:30. "Family Guy" and "American Dad" ran #1 at 9:00 and 9:30 while "The Simpsons" tied for #2.

My AV Setup

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

This first Monday of May Sweeps is interesting:

130429ratings.jpg

130429avgs.jpg

NBC seems to have made a comeback on Monday's which, if they schedule the same programs this fall, might give them a Sunday-Monday dominance. "The Voice" is a powerhouse right now and "Revolution" could take over the demo in the 10 pm slot if it can keep a writer's room full of creative people and find someone to say "hey, that's just not believable."

ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" has over a third of the 50+ viewers, but ran #4 in the demo the first two hours of the night. "Castle" also dominates the older crowd, but will have competition in the demo from "Revolution".

CBS's comedy lineup performs decently from 8 pm to 10 pm, but gives them no bragging rights which must be frustrating. "Hawaii Five-0" at 10 pm is losing in all age groups. I'm not sure what they'll do with it next year since they picked it up. I don't think they should give away Monday at 10 pm without a fight - that's the kind of stupid hubris that almost put NBC out of business.

Fox's finales last night did very well. "Bones" pulled a little higher in the demo than recent episodes have garnered. "The Following" ran #2 in the demo behind only "The Voice."

The CW had some viewers. :sure:

Edited by phrelin, 30 April 2013 - 03:03 PM.

My AV Setup

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

And the first Tuesday of May Sweeps is interesting:

130430ratings.jpg

130430avgs.jpg

NBC seems to have made a comeback ...wait, I said this about Monday, what's happening? Well, another two hours of "The Voice" gave the network the demo win in the first two hours. However, only in the executive suite at 30 Rock would anyone be surprised that "Grimm" moved from Fridays to Tuesday at 10 pm won the demo. Obviously, next fall if NBC moves their executives to Omaha, forces them participate in the high school team sports boosters, and prohibits them from asking anyone in New York and LA what they watch on their DVR's or on demand, the network might actually make a comeback. They can't do it all with "The Voice" which, if "Idol" is any indication, may have a short half-life. But if they wander around in Omaha asking folks what shows they watch live, they might get over being surprised that shows like "Smash" have no live audience appeal anywhere in the nation.

CBS CEO Les Moonves ought to start looking around the hinterlands for new faces for his programming offices if last night is any indicator. While the network still wins the total viewer bragging rights, the fact is it didn't win a single half hour in the demo on its best night of the week. And last night as the second night in a row it ran third at 10 pm.

ABC's "Body of Proof" at 10 pm ran #1 in the demo and the 50+ crowd last week. So the perfect idea was to run a news special on the Tuesday NBC was going to air "Grimm" in its new time slot just in case we couldn't deliberately get rid of demo viewers any other way. Running last in the demo for the night (I'm ignoring The CW) seems to be goal ABC is near achieving.

Fox managed to hang onto #3 for three its four half hours.

The CW's "Hart of Dixie" is still airing new episodes.

Overall, it seems to me this Tuesday is a warning that next year the networks are going to be struggling for the live demo many of whom are probably watching TV while simultaneous texting to their 73 best friends and tweeting to the world. The real question advertisers need to start asking is how much more the 300,000 extra demo live viewers watching NBC at 8 pm were worth compared to the 6,900,000 age 50+ live viewers watching CBS.

My AV Setup

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

Here's the first Wednesday of May Sweeps:

130501ratings.jpg

130501avgs.jpg

Fox's "American Idol" may be getting some criticism in the press, but it's obviously losing its fan base. This week, the two hours averaged 2.8/8 - 11.08. The same week in 2012 it pulled 4.6/13 - 16.30 and in 2011 the 1½ hour version pulled 6.4/18 - 20.55. The show has lost 56.25% of its demo audience in two years. Last night it ran #2 in the demo against "Modern Family" while two years ago that possibility never occurred to anyone. Still, it did give Fox bragging rights for the two hour race.

ABC's comedy lineup is interesting. "The Middle" at 8 pm has pulled consistent numbers three years in a row. The 9 pm demo winner "Modern Family" has been consistent in total viewers but was down in the demo 25% this year compared to last year which implies a gain in the 50+ crowd. But it also emphasizes that there were 2 million fewer live demo viewers this year compared to two years ago. "Nashville" ran at about it's spring new episode average for both age groups. The new half  hour entries didn't perform too well. The premier of "Family Tools" was very weak. "How to Live with Your Parents" appears to have its demo audience which is the same as "Cougar Town" two years ago and below "Don't Trust The B in Apt. 23" last year.

CBS shows ran below their spring new episode averages for both age groups, not that it maters as all these shows will return.

NBC ran a clips show (also known as rerunning pieces of earlier shows) of "The Voice" in the 8 pm hour which actually performed better than a new "Dateline" typically performs. "L&O: SVU" performed better than it's spring new episode average for both age groups. "Chicago Fire" seems to have its numbers for a new episode. What's interesting at 10 pm is that there essentially was a dead heat in the demo last night.

The CW's strong night is clearly Wednesday. "Arrow" and "Supernatural" ran right at their Spring new episode averages.

My AV Setup

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Here's the second Thursday of 2013 May Sweeps:

130502ratings.jpg

130502avgs.jpg

CBS won the total viewers in every half hour last night, won the demo with its comedies in the 8 pm hour, but ran #2 in the demo against ABC shows in the last two hours of the competition. None of this matters, of course, because all Thursday shows have been picked up by the network. IMHO CBS screwed up big time moving "The Mentalist" from Thursday at 10 pm. Last year it pulled 2.4/7 - 12.67 compared to "Elementary" with 2.0/6 - 9.50. More about this in the ABC discussion below.

Fox's "American Idol" ran #2 last night. Last night's its ratings were 2.5/8 - 10.98, a year ago 3.9/12 - 15.05, two years ago 6.1/20 - 20.81. Over a two year period, that's a 59% drop in the demo and a 47% drop in total viewers. Of the three judges in the first through eighth season, Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul, and Simon Cowell, how many of the names did you recognize with a "oh wow" factor? Even Paula had slipped below the pop celebrity radar before the show. So the thing to do, of course, is bring on judges who are highly visible celebrities who take away from the contestants because that is what made the show work, right?

And I'm pretty sure the "Idol" collapse created further problems for Fox's Thursday. "Glee" could only find ratings of 1.8/5 - 5.23 compared to "Touch" last year at 2.1/6 - 6.84 and "Bones" the year before at 3.3/9 - 11.09.

ABC has had trouble with 8 pm on Thursdays, but at least "Wife Swap" is cheap to produce. "Grey's Anatomy" has recovered some momentum pulling 2.9/8 - 8.50 up from its spring new episode demo average of 2.7/8, but is still below last year's same week 3.2/9 - 9.00 and 3.5/10 - 9.86 the year before. "Scandal" is the network's 10 pm winner with 2.6/8 - 8.13 compared to its first year of 2.1/6 - 6.78 against "The Mentalist."

NBC ran a distant #4 with its Where's Waldo? comedy show scheduling. It's unclear what Comcast/NBCU will do with that group of shows. And like the "Hannibal" who lost to the Roman General Scipio Africanus, this one faced tough odds.

The CW's "Vampire Diaries" keeps hanging in there with ratings adequate for The CW. "The Beauty and The Beast" not so much.

Edited by phrelin, 03 May 2013 - 11:56 AM.

My AV Setup

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

Here's the second Friday of 2013 May Sweeps:

130503ratings.jpg

130503avgs.jpg

CBS as usual handily won total viewers but lost the bragging rights to the demo winning only the 8:30 half hour. It seems clear that unless someone in the executive suite overrides the bean counters, "Vegas" is a one season wonder.

ABC won the bragging rights to the demo even though "Happy Endings" ran #4.

Fox also has a one season wonder in "Touch".

NBC didn't waste a penny on this Friday now that they have one reality show and two news shows.

The CW's "Nikita" is predicted by all soothsayers to be picked up, but one has to wonder why with five shows already picked up. But it and "The Carrie Diaries" are going into the upfront period with no news.

My AV Setup

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

Here's the second Sunday of 2013 May Sweeps:

130505ratings.jpg

130505avgs.jpg

These ratings don't mean much in terms of renewals for next year. But I will say ABC shows are running weak.

Here's the second Monday of May 2013 Sweeps:

130506ratings.jpg

130506avgs.jpg

As I noted in last week's ratings between 8-10 pm "The Voice" controls the demo viewers and "Dancing with the Stars" controls the 50+ viewers. I have a hunch that CBS is going to seriously consider picking up "Rules of Engagement" for another short season as it seems to have an attraction in the tough time slots. "Revolution" is worthy of a new season, while I still don't know what CBS is going to do with "Hawaii Five-0" since they've already picked it up. They need to win the 10 pm slot and it's not winning the demo nor the 50+.

My AV Setup

#10 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:46 PM

Here's the second Tuesday of May 2013 Sweeps:

130507ratings.jpg

130507avgs.jpg

I don't see anything to change the general picture discussed in last Tuesday's post.

My AV Setup

#11 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:14 AM

Here's the second Friday of 2013 May Sweeps:

Fox also has a one season wonder in "Touch".

Touch is already in its second season.  Both season one and two were 13 episodes long.

Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#12 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

Touch is already in its second season.  Both season one and two were 13 episodes long.

Yes, but Season 1 averaged 9.18 viewers, while I'm not sure the average for this season will be a third of that. And while it's not the best show every, I don't understand that level of rejection

My AV Setup

#13 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,120 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

Fox cancelled Touch today.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

Here's the second Wednesday of 2013 May Sweeps:

130508ratings.jpg

130508avgs.jpg

There is not much here to talk about in terms of renewals except at ABC where "Nashville" has started running last in both the demo and the over 50 crowd behind "CSI" and "Chicago Fire". Most pundits feel confident "Nashville" will be picked up. Maybe the soap-country-singing combination will work, but so far additional seasons for shows like "Glee" or "Smash" haven't been winners.

My AV Setup

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

Here's the third Thursday of 2013 May Sweeps:

130509ratings.jpg

130509avgs.jpg

Averaging seems to indicate Thursday belongs to CBS. But that is very misleading. I assume CEO Les Moonves is keeping a close eye on the fact that only in the first hour did their shows run #1 in the demo - so much so that in averaging it makes it look like their shows are strong. In fact, from 9-11 pm CBS shows ran #2 in the demo and even ran #2 in the 50+ crowd in the 10:30 half hour.

NBC's "Hannibal" is not doing well and according to one story the show's creator Bryan Fuller has been told "They won’t announce us being picked up or canceled by Monday is what we’re being told.” Monday is, of course, when NBC announces its shows to advertisers in the Upfronts.

My AV Setup

#16 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

In the last two posts above, I did not even bother to repeat myself about the ratings crash of "American Idol". Nonetheless, it is important to note that industry insiders are making it clear that all four judges will be replaced next year and the format will be revamped. Whether Fox can "save" the show will make for interesting drama next year.

My AV Setup

spam firewall