Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Fees and Some Packages Going Up

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jimd909

jimd909

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

This is updated information ---> http://www.satellite...-of-May-23-2013

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hunh. Well that's ... better.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

Do we have a credible independently verifiable source for these pricing rumors?

I ask because... people were going nuts (perhaps justifiably so too) the last week or so based on rumored price increases coming on 5/22... and now it would seem the latest rumor is more palatable.

Discussing rumor is fine, we do that a lot here... but it would be nice to label rumor as rumor, rather than present it as fact (like the last rumor apparently) and get people excited over something that might not be true.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

Stewart here is a jpg that is supposed to be from a retailer communication.  I got it at Satellite Guys and believe it to be accurate and true.

priceincrease.jpg

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

That last rumor makes this one look better. :)

Grandfathering existing customers is a good thing.

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

Stewart here is a jpg that is supposed to be from a retailer communication.  I got it at Satellite Guys and believe it to be accurate and true.

attachicon.gifpriceincrease.jpg

Thanks.  Good news is better than no news... but I hate when rumors get people riled up and then the rumor mills churns and to borrow from Star Wars, says "these aren't the prices you are looking for..." and changes the narrative.

A lot of people could have saved themselves a lot of freaking out if last week's rumor hadn't been "confirmed" in the same manner as this one, apparently.

#7 OFFLINE   catnapped

catnapped

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

A lot of people could have saved themselves a lot of freaking out if last week's rumor hadn't been "confirmed" in the same manner as this one, apparently.

Of course there's the question whether the outrage causes Dish to change their mind about the original increase...

#8 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

Of course there's the question whether the outrage causes Dish to change their mind about the original increase...

I believe so! The thread on Satellite Guys was huge and people were pissed. The fact is that first info came from a Dish rep that confirmed it. So maybe people here should thank Satellite guys and quit pointing fingers. We are all adults. Grow up!! Check out the thread for yourself.    

http://www.satellite...Fees-increasing

Edited by ehilbert1, 26 April 2013 - 05:50 PM.

• jimd909 likes this

#9 OFFLINE   jimd909

jimd909

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

Do we have a credible independently verifiable source for these pricing rumors?

I ask because... people were going nuts (perhaps justifiably so too) the last week or so based on rumored price increases coming on 5/22... and now it would seem the latest rumor is more palatable.

Discussing rumor is fine, we do that a lot here... but it would be nice to label rumor as rumor, rather than present it as fact (like the last rumor apparently) and get people excited over something that might not be true.

Well, you can alway wait until next month and see if the "rumor" is true or not.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

I don't care where the info comes from... and you can read many old posts from me that support that.  Good info can come from any source.  But when a source says one thing, then a week later says something different... I question the source, regardless of who that source is.

I know there is the camp that says "the people spoke and Dish listened"... but you can count on one finger the number of times in the last 10 years that has been true.  Think about it...  Fees go up every year, people complain every year... receiver fees went up before and will again... but I can't remember any time when Dish said "we're charging more" and then customers said "we don't like that" and then Dish immediately went 180 degrees and said "you're right, we will charge less".

That's why it would be nice to have something official from Dish before people go in a panic.  For all we know, this was all internal discussion and people throwing out ideas... and that last week's rumor was never seriously considered anyway.

#11 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

I don't care where the info comes from... and you can read many old posts from me that support that.  Good info can come from any source.  But when a source says one thing, then a week later says something different... I question the source, regardless of who that source is.

I know there is the camp that says "the people spoke and Dish listened"... but you can count on one finger the number of times in the last 10 years that has been true.  Think about it...  Fees go up every year, people complain every year... receiver fees went up before and will again... but I can't remember any time when Dish said "we're charging more" and then customers said "we don't like that" and then Dish immediately went 180 degrees and said "you're right, we will charge less".

That's why it would be nice to have something official from Dish before people go in a panic.  For all we know, this was all internal discussion and people throwing out ideas... and that last week's rumor was never seriously considered anyway.

Stewart if you actiually read the thread you would see a Dish employee confirmed it! You can say what you want but I believe the outrage over there helped. When have you seen two price hikes so close together from either Satellite company? It also looks like a hell of a lot more people seen it and went off about over there then here. Your the guy that said time and time again the Dish lawsuit had nothing to do with AMC going away. It's funny how when they settled it was right back on Dish.

Edited by ehilbert1, 26 April 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

We should never see a price increase again. :lol: With all the Internet backlash against this February's price increases ($15 on AEP) I'm surprised DISH didn't concede and knock it down to $10 ... or $5. (And before one replies, the "bonuses" attached to the large price increases on AT120+ and AEP were part of the initial story ... not some concession added later because of complaints.)

The latest report is a more reasonable fee ... and the grandfathering helps those who have already made a commitment. Hopefully the grandfathering will last at least a couple of years and not a few months.

DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

When have you seen two price hikes so close together from either Satellite company?

DISH Network: February 2010 fee increase followed by June 2010 package increase. (Followed by the February 2011 increase, of course.)

#14 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

I stand corrected but i do believe that Satellite Guys and their forum helped. I also believe that if this forum would have had the same outrage and posts you guys would toot your horns over here too. You won't give credit because it's Satellite Guys.  By the way maybe just maybe Dish decided to do the credits because they didn't want that outrage and backlash. I noticed a lot of people pissed about the increases and then cooled down when the credit news came out.

I didn't remember that double increase because I don't live and breath Satellite TV and these forums. I've been here since 2007 and have very few posts compared to some.

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

Stewart if you actiually read the thread you would see a Dish employee confirmed it! You can say what you want but I believe the outrage over there helped. When have you seen two price hikes so close together from either Satellite company? It also looks like a hell of a lot more people seen it and went off about over there then here. Your the guy that said time and time again the Dish lawsuit had nothing to do with AMC going away. It's funny how when they settled it was right back on Dish.

I see countless threads started by members of this and other forums where they have been told all manner of things by a Dish employee only to post in the forum and have a bunch of us tell them that they were given incorrect info.  We've had to correct posts on this very forum in the past when someone gave information that just was not correct about how a particular receiver or service functioned.  I'm sure it will happen again. None of us are perfect :)

IF the outrage actually helped, then kudos!  Sincerely... I mean that.  But Dish service (and fees) have gone up almost every year, and this would be the first documented instance of forum feedback causing such a reversal,wouldn't it?  I know people have been vocal in the past about price increases, and I don't remember this kind of 180 degree turn before... but if it is true, then kudos!

It's also possible that the info that was given out last week was never supposed to be given out.  Sometimes companies discuss different strategies, and memos get to the wrong people who then run with it only to find out that upper management never really was going to implement that idea... and then people are in an uproar needlessly.  I'm not saying anyone made up any info.  I'm just posing the possibility that a memo that wasn't intended for public consumption got in the wrong place and some people (employees too perhaps) thought it was official policy.

We have Dish employees that post here on DBSTalk too... and I can't find any reference in any recent thread where any Dish employee confirmed any price increases or change in policies over the last week... so I think it only reasonable to wonder why no one would have posted in the discussion we have been having here for the past week.

#16 OFFLINE   dare2be

dare2be

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

One poster posted that they got pricing info privately from a DIRT member, and then another DIRT member confirmed the info.  So if the info was an internal work-in-progress memo, not supposed to be made public, then you have 2 independent Dish employees that goofed.  It sounds more likely and reasonable to me that this was purposefully intended as a trial balloon to gauge the reaction.  When word of it got to the private retailers site, they also blew up.  Both venues I believe had an impact on the adjusted released info.

#17 OFFLINE   jimd909

jimd909

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

I see countless threads started by members of this and other forums where they have been told all manner of things by a Dish employee only to post in the forum and have a bunch of us tell them that they were given incorrect info.  We've had to correct posts on this very forum in the past when someone gave information that just was not correct about how a particular receiver or service functioned.  I'm sure it will happen again. None of us are perfect :)

IF the outrage actually helped, then kudos!  Sincerely... I mean that.  But Dish service (and fees) have gone up almost every year, and this would be the first documented instance of forum feedback causing such a reversal,wouldn't it?  I know people have been vocal in the past about price increases, and I don't remember this kind of 180 degree turn before... but if it is true, then kudos!

It's also possible that the info that was given out last week was never supposed to be given out.  Sometimes companies discuss different strategies, and memos get to the wrong people who then run with it only to find out that upper management never really was going to implement that idea... and then people are in an uproar needlessly.  I'm not saying anyone made up any info.  I'm just posing the possibility that a memo that wasn't intended for public consumption got in the wrong place and some people (employees too perhaps) thought it was official policy.

We have Dish employees that post here on DBSTalk too... and I can't find any reference in any recent thread where any Dish employee confirmed any price increases or change in policies over the last week... so I think it only reasonable to wonder why no one would have posted in the discussion we have been having here for the past week.

Maybe because less people post here.  I know the thread on Satelliteguys.us is much larger than the one here regarding the fees.  Maybe because the DIRT member wasn't supposed to say anything.  Who knows.  We'll know in less than a month who's right and who's wrong.

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

Who knows.  We'll know in less than a month who's right and who's wrong.

Or perhaps it will change again. :)

If it doesn't can we blame the Internet for not complaining enough about the $2/$5 increases for new subscribers?

#19 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:41 AM

I'm really not interested in the debate over which forum is better.  I don't think there's much in the way of anti-competitor behavior by the moderators here.  There's more than enough room on the Internet for everybody.

I think many of us recognized immediately the egregious nature of the previously announced fee increases. I'm certain that if Dish leaked the information as a "trial balloon" it well and truly popped.

• lparsons21 likes this

#20 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,968 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

If complaining on an internet site gets a company to not raise prices/fees, then they'd never get raised. Every year people complain, and now all of the sudden a company miraculously changed their mind? Yeah right. !rolling

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...