Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Fees and Some Packages Going Up

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,181 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

I stand corrected but i do believe that Satellite Guys and their forum helped. I also believe that if this forum would have had the same outrage and posts you guys would toot your horns over here too. 

I want to jump in here and point out that we have NEVER taken credit for changing the minds of any satellite company about anything and we don't plan on doing that in the future. We try to stay as neutral as possible and do not allow a "call to arms" against any company. Just bad form all around and only makes enemies in the business world.

• sigma1914 likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,282 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

But if the users of this forum had responded as much, would you have tried to stop it?  That's the big question imo.

Frankly I have not problem with forums that take a position strongly, nor do I have a problem with those that don't.  Both serve their purpose.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#23 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,181 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

But if the users of this forum had responded as much, would you have tried to stop it?  That's the big question imo.

Yes, we would have stopped posts that suggest a petition or other form of mob mentality against a company. Just not our style. Most posts would have remained however as long as they fall within the guidelines of our forum rules. There are no rules against being unhappy with Dish. :)

#24 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

Not just complaining, but people cancelling their upgrades, people downgrading their service and the like AND letting Dish know that their fee increases were the impetus.

That can and does get a company's attention.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#25 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

I want to jump in here and point out that we have NEVER taken credit for changing the minds of any satellite company about anything and we don't plan on doing that in the future. We try to stay as neutral as possible and do not allow a "call to arms" against any company. Just bad form all around and only makes enemies in the business world.

Not taking credit and setting on your hands are two different things, so next time don't sit on your hands, don't label things as rumor that aren't and stick up for the customer.

Edited by Jim5506, 27 April 2013 - 11:31 AM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma

#26 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,282 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Based on my non-scientific reading of postings around the 'net, it seems that not only was there lots of howling in the various sat TV forums, but also in the Dish installer/seller groups also.  And of course, random yowling in a few other places just added to the noise.

But there were a lot that were pretty specific about exactly what they would do if the rates increased.  Ranging from biggies like sending that 2nd Hopper back and reducing programming sub to a ridiculous level, to those like me that would have cancelled some minor thing to alleviate the pain.  My plan was to drop BB@Home to Epix, many said they were dropping BB@Home altogether and that last seemed to be the most popular.

I very much believe that Dish heard the message loud and clear and came up with a reasonable plan to mitigate the potential damage.  It is nice to see that the customer can sometimes influence a corporate decision.  So we have no increase in hardware fees installations that exist and don't change on or after 5/22/2013, and new equipment pricing for new customers or those that upgrade later.  For them, it is part and parcel of deciding to sign up or switch and know what the costs associated with that are.

Here's the one problem I think Dish is going to be faced with.  With the new equipment fees, and the very narrow difference in cost between D* and E* that exists now, the price differential will have all but disappeared.  And that my friends, means that the single way to save anything significant is to switch every 2 years or so and take advantage of the new customer offers.

Yeah, I know, you can get some freebies and discounts along the way, but if you average out the savings those do for the 2 years, it is a long way from that to new/returning customer discounts.

I left D* a few months ago, and before the boxes showed up to ship back the equipment, I got email wanting me back with offers that all but included dinner with the boss!  :)

When I left E* a couple years ago, they did the same thing.

Odd how that works out!  :)

Lloyd

#27 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,282 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

Yes, we would have stopped posts that suggest a petition or other form of mob mentality against a company. Just not our style. Most posts would have remained however as long as they fall within the guidelines of our forum rules. There are no rules against being unhappy with Dish. :)

While I don't totally agree with that position, I do understand where it comes from and why.  IF I were running things, I'd let the posters fly but not participate at all in that particular discussion.  But that's just me and I'm old and cantankerous!  :)

Lloyd

#28 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,181 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

Not taking credit and setting on your hands are two different things, so next time don't sit on your hands, don't label things as rumor that aren't and stick up for the customer.

Again you are talking about consumer activism which is not in our charter. We are about people helping people.

Just like any other forum,  users come here to discuss their opinions and issues. If companies read the threads,  they decide what they wish to do with that information. We don't push agendas.

This subject matter is off topic for this thread so feel free to contact me privately for further discussion.

#29 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,282 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

One thing that should be noted with these fee increases is that it is in current/new subs best interest to make any changes to the number of Hoppers in their system prior to 5/22/2013.

If you leave things alone, then your hardware and DVR fees remain as they are.  If you upgrade to more Hoppers before 5/22, then you get the current fees.  But if you sign up or upgrade the number of Hoppers after that, then the Hopper lease fee for 2nd and subsequent is higher.  For an upgrader, the DVR fee would remain the same.

New customers that come onboard on or after 5/22 will get all the new fees.  But there is talk of some sort of 'alternative' that will be announced at the Team Summit that is upcoming.  Nothing is known at this time what that might be.  Thanks to the folks at SatelliteGuys for this tidbit.  Take it for what you think it is worth.

• 3HaloODST likes this

Lloyd

#30 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

GOOD GRIEF!!

Again you are talking about consumer activism which is not in our charter. We are about people helping people.

Just like any other forum,  users come here to discuss their opinions and issues. If companies read the threads,  they decide what they wish to do with that information. We don't push agendas.

This subject matter is off topic for this thread so feel free to contact me privately for further discussion.

• Slamminc11, jimd909 and 3HaloODST like this

#31 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

Here's the one problem I think Dish is going to be faced with.  With the new equipment fees, and the very narrow difference in cost between D* and E* that exists now, the price differential will have all but disappeared.  And that my friends, means that the single way to save anything significant is to switch every 2 years or so and take advantage of the new customer offers.

Yeah, I know, you can get some freebies and discounts along the way, but if you average out the savings those do for the 2 years, it is a long way from that to new/returning customer discounts.

I left D* a few months ago, and before the boxes showed up to ship back the equipment, I got email wanting me back with offers that all but included dinner with the boss!   :)

When I left E* a couple years ago, they did the same thing.

Odd how that works out!   :)

You don't have to wait two years.  I left DirecTV for Dish on May 7, 2012.  Just today, I got yet another email from them offering to pay my ETF and give me 12 months of Choice Extra for $35 (or Ultimate for $40), 3 months of free premiums, free 2013 Sunday ticket, and a free Genie installation.

Today's email does say "Hurry! Last chance to lock in 2 years of savings!", so maybe my "we want you back" offer will finally end after one year. Or maybe, starting on May 8th, they'll throw in dinner with Mike White along with everything else. :)

If Dish does the same thing, you could actually make the switch every year.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#32 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

I was one of the many who through words and actions may have helped influence Dish's decision. After a DIRT rep stated that a 2 Hopper install was going to have an $11 fee increase effective on May 22 I called Dish and dropped equipment and programming. I told the CSR that I was doing that ONLY because I was extremely unhappy with the fact that Dish was raising equipment fees so soon after package fee hikes.

In my case I moved from 2H/2J, AEP, BB@Home, and PP ($167/mo) to 2H/1J, AT200/HBO/SHO, BB@H, and PP ($132/mo). The CSR immediately gave me all 4 prems at half price for 6 months so I'm now getting that for $129/mo (All numbers exclude 6% PA taxes).

I'm serious in saying that I was fat, dumb and happy with my original setup and never considered changing anything until the original announcement. Now that the "updated" fee structure has been posted and my fees are grandfathered I was considering calling and going back to my old setup, but I've discovered in the past 10 days that I'm not missing any important channels with the AT200 plan other than an occasional show on MIL, NatGeoWild and H2. Maybe I'll go back in 6 months when my deal ends. In the meantime I'm $$ ahead with little lost.

2H/1J

Protected By... spam firewall...And...