Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC Renews Five Key Dramas

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

“Revolution,” “Chicago Fire,” “Parenthood,” “Grimm” and “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” have received 22 episode orders for the 2013-14 season.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,375 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

From the NBC news release:

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. – April 26, 2013 – NBC has announced the renewal of five key drama series for the 2013-14 season: “Revolution,” “Chicago Fire,” “Parenthood,” “Grimm” and “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.”

All have been given 22-episode orders.

The announcement was made by Jennifer Salke, president of NBC Entertainment.

“On the verge of our 2013 fall scheduling decisions, we’re pleased to renew five drama series that will be important to our new season line-up,” Salke said. “We’re proud and very appreciative of all of the actors, producers, writers and directors who work so hard to deliver such high-quality work week in and week out. These complex shows represent a broad range of genres and tones, and all of them stand out for us in a television landscape now filled with one-hour series. We’re especially pleased to be renewing “Revolution” and “Chicago Fire” — two first-season successes — and there will be more returning series announcements made in the next couple of weeks.”

“Revolution,” the Monday night drama that centers on a family trying to reunite amidst a worldwide power failure, is executive produced by Eric Kripke, J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk (“Lost,” “Star Trek”). The series is produced by Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Bad Robot Productions, Kripke Enterprises and Warner Bros. Television.

“Revolution” is the season’s top-rated drama on ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox and top-rated new series among those networks in adults 18-49, scoring a 4.6 rating, 12 share and 11.8 million viewers overall in “most current” averages for the season to date. “Revolution” has teamed with “The Voice” to help improve NBC’s Mondays this season versus last by 24 percent in 18-49 (with a 3.6 rating vs. a 2.9).

“Chicago Fire,” from Emmy Award-winning executive producer Dick Wolf and creators Derek Haas and Michael Brandt, goes inside a Windy City firehouse and the lives of those who engage in one of our nation’s noblest professions.

In addition to Wolf, Haas and Brandt, executive producers also include Matt Olmstead, Joe Chappelle, Danielle Gelber and Peter Jankowski. The series is produced by Universal Television and Wolf Films.   

“Chicago Fire” has topped its premiere audience of 6.6 million persons a total of eight times this season, and the only other new drama on the broadcast networks to have done it even once this season is NBC’s “Hannibal.” “Chicago Fire” originals have improved the time period versus year-ago results by 24 percent (“live plus same day”).

“Parenthood,” adapted from the 1989 feature film, examines the colorful Braverman family, and all its foibles and triumphs. The series is executive produced by Oscar winners Ron Howard and Brian Grazer (“A Beautiful Mind,” “Frost/Nixon”), Emmy winner Jason Katims (“Friday Night Lights”) and Lawrence Trilling (“Pushing Daisies”). The series is produced by Universal Television and Imagine Entertainment.

“Parenthood” grew this season versus last by 8 percent in adults 18-49 (to a 2.8 rating from a 2.6) and also increased by 8 percent year-to-year in total viewers (7.1 million vs. 6.6 million). This season’s last seven “Parenthood” telecasts beat both the ABC and CBS drama competition in the time period in 18-49.

“Grimm,” inspired by the classic Grimm Brothers’ fairy tales, is a Universal Television and Hazy Mills production. The series was created by Stephen Carpenter, David Greenwalt, Jim Kouf. Sean Hayes, Todd Milliner and Norberto Barba also serve as executive producers along with Greenwalt and Kouf.

“Grimm” is Friday’s #1 series in adults 18-49 and is up versus one year ago by 14 percent in 18-49 rating (with a 2.4 vs. the year-ago 2.1, “most current”) and is up 12 percent in total viewers (6.9 million vs. 5.2 million).

“Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” will enter its 15th season for NBC. The series chronicles the life and crimes of the Special Victims Unit of the New York City Police Department, an elite squad of detectives who investigate sexually based crimes.

“Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” is a Wolf Films production in association with Universal Television. Dick Wolf is creator and executive producer. Warren Leight, Julie Martin and Peter Jankowski are also executive producers.

“Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” originals this season have improved the time period versus year-ago results by 70 percent in adults 18-49 (“live plus same day”) and are building on the time slot’s lead-in by 31 percent in 18-49 and 70 percent in total viewers.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#3 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

Fantastic!

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#4 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

Great to hear that Grimm was renew.

#5 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,067 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

That is great news, Parenthood is the only one I dont watch and Revolution and Grimm are both watched by the next day at the latest

My Setup

#6 ONLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,840 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

When is the BluRay release of Revolution?

"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

When is the BluRay release of Revolution?

Probably around the time season 2 starts; that's when TV shows become released on disc.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

Good, I am enjoying Revolution so far.
  • tsmacro likes this

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,375 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

All of these shows would compete well at 10 pm. and though I'm behind on most of them we enjoy them.

I know that "Parenthood" probably doesn't have a big following here, but in a post on another thread I said

"Parenthood" is one of the best written, directed, and acted dramas-without-dead-bodies to appear on TV in awhile.

It has covered the angst of early 21st Century family life pretty well. I'm, of course, in the grandparent generation so I relate well to the character played well by Craig T. Nelson, and we have extended family members that seem to incorporate almost all the foibles represented on the show.

My AV Setup

#10 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

Glad SVU will be back.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#11 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

"Parenthood" is one of the best written, directed, and acted dramas-without-dead-bodies to appear on TV in awhile.

I can see how folks can have this opinion, but I have another. There was a scene a couple of years back where Lauren Graham and Peter Krause, who are two of my favorite actors and who are both immensely talented, were apparently allowed to improvise an argument. Both promptly whiffed, and any producer or director worth their salt would have scrapped or rewritten the scene, but they left it in. Maybe they were swept up by the Curb Your Enthusiasm trend at that moment for improvisation, but Curb proves that improvisation is often inferior to real writing, so even with good intent they missed that mark pretty widely.

And it was a fatal mistake to this viewer; that was the moment that pushed me off the fence, and the last moment of the series that I ever watched.

The cast is the best, and the autism storyline is very compelling, so it was with frustrating mixed emotions that I deleted the next 9 unwatched episodes. I am a fan of many elements of this project; just no longer a loyal fan. But best-written and directed it is not, unless maybe they were just having a bad day. But best-directed and best-written shows just don't have bad days because there are too many best-written and best-directed shows out there to allow a single fumble of that magnitude and still remain in that category. Their inclusion of such a sub-standard scene to me meant that they were probably phoning it in, and I was probably wasting my time. Sorry, but there are too many better shows available where the motivation by the cast and director and producer is to not phone it in, and to make it the best it can be at all costs. I regret that PHood could not consistently reach that high bar.

But I am happy for the fans and for NBC.

Edited by TomCat, 27 April 2013 - 04:19 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#12 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

We love Parenthood. Well, "loved," I suppose. They jumped the shark a bit with their January episode that was essentially a paid advertisement for Planned Parenthood.

Sure, abortion seems like just the difficult topic the show would cover, but the way they glossed over it in a single episode, while addressing very little of the emotional toll, was very disappointing.

This is not intended to open a debate about abortion (a debate which couldn't possibly be "won" by either side on a message board like this). Note that I addressed only the way the show handled the topic.

Edited by renbutler, 29 April 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

Parenthood is probably one of the best dramas on right now.

#14 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,685 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

We love Parenthood. Well, "loved," I suppose. They jumped the shark a bit with their January episode that was essentially a paid advertisement for Planned Parenthood.

Sure, abortion seems like just the difficult topic the show would cover, but the way they glossed over it in a single episode, while addressing very little of the emotional toll, was very disappointing.

This is not intended to open a debate about abortion (a debate which couldn't possibly be "won" by either side on a message board like this). Note that I addressed only the way the show handled the topic.

Sounds like they are a bit rusty on the Very Special Episode model from Diff'rent Strokes.

#15 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 352 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

A few seasons ago, Parenthood was supposed to be cancelled.  Do you guys remember that?

#16 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 762 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

I don't think anyone was sure it would be renewed this season...there weren't really any hanging stories in this years finale.

HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#17 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,375 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

It seems to me that the finale of the last three seasons of "Parenthood" was written as a likely and acceptable series finale.

My AV Setup

#18 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

Well, not really the one where Victor was dropped off in Julia's driveway...

#19 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

A few seasons ago, Parenthood was supposed to be cancelled.  Do you guys remember that?

What I do remember is that it had a hard time getting on the air, and was delayed a half-season or better. The reason was that Maura Tierney was diagnosed with cancer, which she has apparently beaten, praise God. She was replaced with Lauren Graham.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#20 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 762 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

What I do remember is that it had a hard time getting on the air, and was delayed a half-season or better. The reason was that Maura Tierney was diagnosed with cancer, which she has apparently beaten, praise God. She was replaced with Lauren Graham.

Interesting, I was not aware of that. I imagine it would have been a completely different character from what Graham has become. 

HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

spam firewall