Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

LNB question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   birdie_ace

birdie_ace

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

I have been experiencing 771 errors and weak signals on my dish for some time now.  Some days everything would work fine others not so fine.  I finally had the dish realigned and all my problems went away - or so I thought.

Last night I was watching the NFL draft for about an hour, when all of a sudden I started to get pixelation.  Very slowly at first and then much worse and then 771.  Some channels still came in while others did not at all.  I quickly realized that the problems started exactly when the upstairs DVR started recording two shows at 9pm.  The box that I was watching also started to record a show at 9pm.  I have two HD DVR's with an SL3 LNB.  I am pretty sure that there is nothing wrong with my boxes.  I am also positive that my dish is correctly aligned.  All signals prior to last night were in the 90's or high 80's.

My thinking is something is not working correctly on the LNB, or should I be looking at the PI?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

How many coax lines are coming from your SL3 dish? 

If there is only one line, that should go to a power inserter and through a splitter to your two DVRs. (The splitter might be before or after the power inserter.)

If there is more than one line, then you must have four lines, two going to each DVR.  If there are multiple coax from the dish, they cannot be split anyplace. If you need more than 4 lines, then you have to use a multiswitch (WB68 or equivalent wide band multiswitch).

Your symptoms suggest you might have split a coax to feed multiple DVRs.

#3 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,461 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

Or perhaps marginal (moist, corroded) conectors

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   birdie_ace

birdie_ace

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

One coax line coming from dish into PI and then into 8 way splitter. Two lines leaving splitter. One line to each HD DVR.
Came home from work tonight and all signal strengths back in the 90's and high 80's.

No storms or bad weather last night either.

Edited by birdie_ace, 26 April 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

Okay, so SWM system.  Try swapping the 8 way splitter with a 2-way or 4-way. Also make sure all unused ports have terminating resistors on them. And make sure the splitter is DirecTV approved green labelled splitter.

spam firewall