Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Pause - can I still watch recorded stuff?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   patman2

patman2

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

I have a DVR512 with about 100 hrs of recorded stuff and am being transferred to Canada for 3-6 months where I won't be able to get Dish service. I'd like to know whether I can implement Dish Pause to temporarily suspend billing (or at least reduce it to the $5/mo fee for Dish Pause) and then take my DVR with me to Canada and still watch the things I already recorded. Anyone know?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,796 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

I could be wrong, but I do not believe the DVR will continue to function without being connected to a satellite feed.  It might work for 30 days, or perhaps a little longer... but I thought the receivers will self-deactivate after a time of being disconnected from the satellite source.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   patman2

patman2

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

I could be wrong, but I do not believe the DVR will continue to function without being connected to a satellite feed.  It might work for 30 days, or perhaps a little longer... but I thought the receivers will self-deactivate after a time of being disconnected from the satellite source.

I've seen so many different and contradictory answers to this question. I guess I'll just have to ask Dish, although I'm not convinced I'll get correct information even from that source.

#4 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

With the receiver is on pause and in the same home, you can watch the DVR content. Taking the receiver from the home it will not have authorization to view content.

Thanks

#5 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

Taking the receiver from the home it will not have authorization to view content. 

That STILL doesn't answer the question.  Why is it so difficult to get a straight answer on this?

Yes or No -  can you watch previously recorded content on a DVR without the box being connected to the dish and seeing the satellite?  If so, for how long if there is any duration limit like 30 days?

Forget about WHERE the box is located.

People have asked about taking it on the road in an RV where they may not be able to get a signal.

People have asked about disconnecting from the dish and leaving the box in place, or moving it to another room in the house.

No matter how the question is worded, I have yet to see a definitive answer.  Will it work, or won't it?

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#6 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

The second part of this question that I can't get a straight answer on ......

If you leave everything connected after you terminate any and all subscription services, can you still watch previously recorded content for the unlimited future?

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#7 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

If a customer has a DVR receiver and the DISH services are disconnected they cannot watch the DVR content. If they have the services on Pause, they will have access to the DVR recordings.

Thanks

#8 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

That STILL doesn't answer the question.  Why is it so difficult to get a straight answer on this?

Yes or No -  can you watch previously recorded content on a DVR without the box being connected to the dish and seeing the satellite?  If so, for how long if there is any duration limit like 30 days?

Of course you won't get a straight answer from DIRT. Do you really think that Dish wants people to know if you can take your receiver to a friends house to watch what you've recorded? The only way to really know is to disconnect it and try for yourself.

#9 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

I believe Stewart is right the purple card must receive authorization by the DISH satellite connection or it will shut down. That is why you seem to get different answers. MikeH states as long as the receiver is on pause you can watch the DVR, that is assuming it is still connected. He also states if DISH service is disconnected the DVR will stop functioning. Depending on when your purple card was last authorized it may work for 2 days or it might last 30 days but it will stop working at some point. Patman 2 original question is can he disconnect while on pause and take it to Canada where there is no DISH connection. The answer would be for a brief period of time it may work but without a DISH signal it will shut down.

Edited by RBA, 30 April 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   sremick

sremick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

Also note that "recorded content" does not include anything you've moved to an external hard drive.

For whatever reason, Dish does not consider this to be "recorded content" when they promise you that you'll be able to continue watching "recorded content" even while on Dish Pause. Whatever stuff you happened to be storing on the external drive will become inaccessible, while the stuff on the DVR's internal hard drive remains playable. The type of recorded material doesn't matter... all that matters is the meaningless difference of whether you were storing it on drive A or drive B at the time of going on Pause. It's a stupid and arbitrary distinction, and Dish should be more honest and forthcoming with their answers when people ask this.

#11 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

"I want it for free"......

Protected By... spam firewall...And...