Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Similar Topics on Post Screen when starting a new thread

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,229 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

I would like to request this plugin be added if possible, I remember we had this with vB. It should cut down on duplicate threads which is very helpful for moderators and admins. :)

http://community.inv...on-post-screen/

• Steve likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,571 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

I would like to request this plugin be added if possible, I remember we had this with vB. It should cut down on duplicate threads which is very helpful for moderators and admins. :)

http://community.inv...on-post-screen/

Agree. If it works the same as that function in vB, it would be very helpful!

/steve

#3 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,099 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

Man, you all just keep costing me more money.   :)

The issue with adding plugin after plugin like on the old site is that it makes for upgraded to be very hard. 

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#4 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,229 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

The developer on this one seems to be good about updating the plugins for new forum software from the comments. He is from Brazil and apparently never sleeps.  :grin:

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,722 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

If only all of the users obeyed warning when it popped up. We still had a lot of duplicate threads ... and I'm sure that the feature was responsible for some of the grave robber threads (people restarting years old threads instead of appropriately starting a new thread).
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,584 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

Yeah...  when I first saw this new site I said to myself "where did the similar post feature go"... and then I had the same thought as James and figured I would wait and see how it goes before I said anything.  We had a lot of duplicate topics, including ones by the same poster!  So I'm not sure it cuts down on duplicate threads as much as you'd like it to... and James has a good point, it might be the cause of some old thread resurrections that we could do without too.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,894 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

Though I think the thread from 2002 that got resurrected the other day has to be a record.

#8 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,571 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

What's wrong with resurrecting an old thread if it's on topic? Better than going over the same ground over and over, as happens all the time. E.g., I think I noticed two "Warning Points" threads already. Likely because the second thread starter didn't search first. At least the "Similar Topics" search is automatic and might have forestalled that second thread from being created. Just my .02.

/steve

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,722 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

One issue with old threads is that people read them from the beginning as if it is all new. Take a 50 post thread that resolved nicely several years back and add on a somewhat related post to the end and people will think all 50 posts were made today. We have had arguments ensue over years old posts before people realized that the argument was settled years ago (people not reading the entire thread to date before responding).

Often even though related the new post is more of a hijack of the thread than a continuance ... and it seems that the older the thread is the more likely that a new post waking the thread is unneeded. A fresh start is often better. We had a hack on the old forum to warn people that they were waking an old thread just for that reason.

The issue of similar threads started when an existing thread is currently in use is different ... but the mods are willing to accept the work. Just one of the personal services we provide. :)

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

fwiw that developer is one I trust, does a lot of good work.

just need to watch for sql load with these types of mods, iirc this one is ok but I don't yet have it installed.

Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...