I had a remote that would not make full contact with the batteries. I could hear them rattling around and the remote worked intermittently.
Knowing that DIRECTV does not want remotes back I took it apart, and found that the interior wall that keeps the battery spring in place had snapped off.
(Still wondering how I managed to do that).
I glued the wall back into place and reinforced the wall with some old cardboard. I figured folks might like to know how I did it so I took pictures as I went along.
It comes apart easily, after you take the two screws out of the battery compartment you have to pry off the grey panel on the top of the remote to get at the remaining screws. It pulls right apart then.
The only tricky part about putting it back together is to make sure the plastic slider goes into the switch on the circuit board.