Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper records PrimeTime shows twice at once

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BCole8888

BCole8888

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

Is anyone else experiencing this?  A couple of times recently I have turned on the tv to discover that I had no free tuners to watch anything.  When it takes me to the screen that shows what each tuner is doing, I see each tv show listed twice.  So just now it showed it was recording Shark Tank twice, Grimm twice, etc etc.  The only way to get back to where I could watch something other than what was being recorded was to power cycle the receiver.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Grampa67

Grampa67

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

I had the same thing happen sporadically before this latest software. I found that when I would go to watch their would be 2 recordings of the program so I assume it had to use 2 tuners.

#3 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 911 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

Were these recordings that should record from an existing timer?  If not, please provide more details of this situation, along with your receiver, software version (with the 4 letters after the software version), and programs that were recording in a PM to me so I can submit a trouble report.  There is a known issue where 2 tuners are used when only 1 timer is created for that event.  Thanks.

Is anyone else experiencing this?  A couple of times recently I have turned on the tv to discover that I had no free tuners to watch anything.  When it takes me to the screen that shows what each tuner is doing, I see each tv show listed twice.  So just now it showed it was recording Shark Tank twice, Grimm twice, etc etc.  The only way to get back to where I could watch something other than what was being recorded was to power cycle the receiver.

#4 OFFLINE   BCole8888

BCole8888

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

The next time it happens I will record exactly what it's recording.  To my recollection it was recording PrimeTime Anytime shows twice.

#5 OFFLINE   BCole8888

BCole8888

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

Came home tonight and it's doing it again.  See the attached picture.  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130529_213613.jpg

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,461 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

Do you have any Joeys?  Is it possible that a Joey is tuned to a local channel and while the display surely is an error, it could be that the tuner really is in use?

It would also be interesting to know what firmware is on your Hopper (and Joeys if you have any).

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#7 OFFLINE   BCole8888

BCole8888

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:17 AM

I don't have any Joeys hooked up.  Hopper Software: S244 NACD.  Is that the firmware version?

This morning when I tried to get to diagnostics to retrieve the firmware, it told me that this feature wasn't available during a Primetime Anytime recording session.  That's obviously not right at 7am, so I looked at what the tuners were doing and it showed it was recording channel 2.  But when I go into DVR to look at my recordings, it said it was recording two episodes of Nova on channel 8.  But Nova wasn't playing on channel 8.  I rebooted the receiver and all seems well now.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130530_070147.jpg
  • IMG_20130530_070120.jpg
  • IMG_20130530_070101.jpg

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,461 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

If you don't have any Joeys... there must be something wrong with your Hopper.  I can't think of a reasonable scenario for it to be displaying what you are showing unless it was an issue with Joey interaction.

FYI... I didn't know about the diagnostics thing... that's odd, but maybe not entirely odd...  I usually get my firmware versions on other Dish receivers by pressing the Menu button twice... you should be able to do that even when things are recording.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#9 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:46 AM

I've seen this dual-recording issue on a very few occasions.  Last one was Bomb Girls on Reelz.  Was recorded twice at the same time, tying up one tuner.  When it has occurred it doesn't actually end up having two of the same episode at the same time on the DVR which makes it very odd.

If I need a tuner and see it happening, I just stop one recording and move on.  Irritating at times?  yes, very much so.  But nothing I'll lose sleep over.

And note I have no Joeys, just 2 Hoppers.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#10 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

Since both of you have no Joeys, it makes me wonder if perhaps the client port on the duo-node is terminated with a 75ohm terminator?

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#11 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

I know mine are, so that's not the issue for me.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#12 OFFLINE   augie

augie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

I'm seeing this with a new install (less than a month old) Hopper/Joey set up. The problem is, if I free up a tuner by selecting (for instance) "stop recording xxxx on tuner 3 and watch channel yyy in the living room, it stops the recording on both tuners for the show being recorded.

spam firewall