Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does anyone here use Hotmail/Windows Live Messenger a lot?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

If you do NOT use Hotmail, please do not bother to reply how you hate it; how it sucks; etc. etc. I'm interested in only those people who currently use Hotmail, preferably as one of, if not their primary, Email address. I ask because ever since this stupid merging with Skype, which I have had installed for a few years anyway but have not yet merged with Hotmail officially, I've had nothing but headaches trying to simply receive notifications of when I get Email. I used to have Windows Live Messenger auto-log in every time I'd boot my PC, but now Windows Live Messenger doesn't work worth a darn at all. Attempts to upgrade WLM per the programs orders to do so are futile, because it sends me in circles.

This may very well be the final thing that causes me to dump, after 15 years, my Hotmail Email address, to which all of my other ones automatically go (hence my using it as my main one).

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Karen

Karen

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:12 AM

I think Windows Live Mail would give you notifications if you leave it running in the background.  I used to get my hotmail email through Outlook, but now, I have it imported into my gmail account and have Outlook download it.

#3 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:21 AM

Well, within the last few weeks, Hotmail converted to Outlook, which I've never used (never liked it). Ever since that happened, which was about the same time Messenger became Skype, my audible notifications broke.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#4 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

I have used winlive for mail for years.. I also run trillian for messaging, it will give popups for new mail on any of the asociated mail accounts.. it will do pretty much all the messagers in one program too..

haven't seen it screwup from changeover yet.

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

A long time ago we had to switch from Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail.

It puts a yellow envelope on the task bar on the lower right hand side of the screen and it plays a sound when you get new mail. The sound can be changed using the Windows System Sound choices.

I have a laptop and a desktop. If I add or edit a contact it updates the other machine to match.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   Karen

Karen

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

The Outlook I was talking about is the program that comes with Microsoft Office.  I leave it running all day.  Windows Live Mail should work very well for you, and might already be installed on your computer.

#7 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,630 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

I assume you've checked the preferences for sounds /notifications. It's possible they got changed in the update / migration.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#8 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

The Outlook I was talking about is the program that comes with Microsoft Office.  I leave it running all day.  Windows Live Mail should work very well for you, and might already be installed on your computer.

It's installed and in use. I should have clarified that that is what I've been using--Hotmail through Windows Live--for some time. Since this migration with Skype and to Outlook, my audio notifications don't work for one main reason--I'm unable to log in to Windows Live (Messenger). No matter what I try, it just says it's signing on but doesn't go anywhere.

I assume you've checked the preferences for sounds /notifications. It's possible they got changed in the update / migration.

I did check; nothing changed.

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

I find Outlook.com to be more usable than hotmail.com, but Live Mail has always been a disappointment (although it's a dream come true compared to trying to work with win8 mail.) as for Messenger, I personally had huge problems with it due to its heavy use of the WinSXS subsystems. Eventually I chose to move to a new computer. Now having moved to Skype, I find no backend problems but I decry skype's inefficient use of screen real estate.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

I find Outlook.com to be more usable than hotmail.com, but Live Mail has always been a disappointment (although it's a dream come true compared to trying to work with win8 mail.) as for Messenger, I personally had huge problems with it due to its heavy use of the WinSXS subsystems. Eventually I chose to move to a new computer. Now having moved to Skype, I find no backend problems but I decry skype's inefficient use of screen real estate.

Actual Hotmail.com now redirects to outlook.com

Protected By... spam firewall...And...