Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Who else uses Vudu Exclusively for PPV?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:45 AM

I come to love the quality I get(and the prices are in line with other outlets, including Directv) from Vudu enough that it has become my one and only source for PPV. I now make sure when I buy a device that is supports VuDu.

I have a PS3, a Boxee Box, a Samsung BluRay player(BD-C6900) and an older LG that have all 4 or my TV's covered for PPV on VuDu. As it stands right now, there's no other outlet that I can get 1080p AND DD+.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

I have used Vudu a few times. I like it. Good selection of movies and the quality is excellent. I really don't have a primary pay-per-view right now as I also use Apple TV but Vudu is slowly becoming my favorite. Just don't like the $5.99 price for HDX. Even though Apple TV peaks out at $4.99, it's 720p but there is DD which, quite frankly, I have a hard time telling the difference between DD and DD+. Apple TV's 720p also looks very good.

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:51 PM

One other thing about Vudu. The buffering seems to be somewhat small. The movie stops and then gives you a chance to downshift to a lower resolution if bandwith is low. That's not good especially if you paid for the HDX version ($5.99) of the movie. The Apple TV can buffer the entire movie so you can start it downloading early to make sure you won't be interrupted.

#4 OFFLINE   CyndiWho

CyndiWho

• 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:44 PM

We have had Vudu since it's inception, still have the original console.
Really loved it for a long time, but thing always change...(like Walmart buying the company) What I dont like is the way they bill now, individually. I liked the old way of loading up a set amount. Also don't like the new menu, to much junk.
I may flip over to net flix... Any others worth checking into?

#5 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:55 PM

Nope. Netflix pretty much does it all for me, but "Crackle" <www.crackle.com> is a nice recent addition, offering uncut movies for free, but with insert ads. Free is good.

If you're looking for a new stb, the Roku stb offers a ton of other programming and content options.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#6 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:23 AM

I agree with Nick. The Roku box is the best value out there. Lots of content to choose from on that box including Netflix. At $59, its a steal for what that box does.

http://www.roku.com/

#7 OFFLINE   Larry Flowers

Larry Flowers

• 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:58 AM

My new Samsung Blu_Ray player (BD-D5700) has Vudu, but I haven't tried it yet. There is a free movie offer so maybe I will give it a go this weekend.

#8 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 791 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:20 PM

We have had Vudu since it's inception, still have the original console.
Really loved it for a long time, but thing always change...(like Walmart buying the company) What I dont like is the way they bill now, individually. I liked the old way of loading up a set amount. Also don't like the new menu, to much junk.
I may flip over to net flix... Any others worth checking into?

I havent download a movie. But I do use the Vudu menu. I like it better than the Netflix streaming menu. There is more info about the movie. Plus I like the trailers. With 6meg(more like 5 average) I havent had a problem with HDX trailers. I use a PS3.

#9 OFFLINE   Kapeman

Kapeman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

I havent download a movie. But I do use the Vudu menu. I like it better than the Netflix streaming menu. There is more info about the movie. Plus I like the trailers. With 6meg(more like 5 average) I havent had a problem with HDX trailers. I use a PS3.

Ditto that.

I despise the newer Netflix interface. The web interface used to be much better than the one on the PS3, but now they have changed the Web version to be more like the console version! UGH!

I just want to be able to search by genre!

#10 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

One other thing about Vudu. The buffering seems to be somewhat small. The movie stops and then gives you a chance to downshift to a lower resolution if bandwith is low. That's not good especially if you paid for the HDX version ($5.99) of the movie. The Apple TV can buffer the entire movie so you can start it downloading early to make sure you won't be interrupted.

I was watching a movie trailer the other day in 1080P and it was buffering every 30 to 40 or so seconds, it turned me off from ordering anything from them at this time.

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#11 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 791 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

Rented my first vudu movie "Europa Report". 1080p was beautiful. Streamed it with a 10meg no buffering. I notice you had the option to download and view later on the ps3 because of the harddive.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...