Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OK, so I'm impressed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,163 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:33 PM

I've been messing with Vudu over the past few days both on my PS3 and on my Panasonic Blu-Ray player. The selection is quite good and the "HDX" quality is very impressive. As long as my internet connection is above 5 Mbps, it looks almost as good as Blu-Ray. I also purchased a couple of Wal-Mart Blu-Ray's and each Blu-Ray had a $5 credit for Vudu so I will definitely be watching a few more movies for free. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:11 AM

I've been messing with Vudu over the past few days both on my PS3 and on my Panasonic Blu-Ray player. The selection is quite good and the "HDX" quality is very impressive. As long as my internet connection is above 5 Mbps, it looks almost as good as Blu-Ray. I also purchased a couple of Wal-Mart Blu-Ray's and each Blu-Ray had a $5 credit for Vudu so I will definitely be watching a few more movies for free. :)

Chris, on the Vudu it looks like you can buy out right TV show episodes for as little as $1.99 each, is everything on Vudu in HD?

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,163 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:01 AM

Chris, on the Vudu it looks like you can buy out right TV show episodes for as little as $1.99 each, is everything on Vudu in HD?

Not everything. It depends on what you are looking for. New movies and some TV shows are in HD but I haven't done an extensive search. For some reason the PS3 passes 3D content from Vudu using regular HDMI 1.3 connections which is nice (right now my PS3 is connected to my legacy AVR which does not pass HDMI 1.4). I've already watched a few 3D titles and it worked quite well.

#4 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:57 AM

Not everything. It depends on what you are looking for. New movies and some TV shows are in HD but I haven't done an extensive search. For some reason the PS3 passes 3D content from Vudu using regular HDMI 1.3 connections which is nice (right now my PS3 is connected to my legacy AVR which does not pass HDMI 1.4). I've already watched a few 3D titles and it worked quite well.

Thanks for the info, and when you say your legacy AVR, who makes that? This is my Pioneer VSX-1120-K 7.1 Home Theater Receiver http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B0039XQQXA and I love it.

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#5 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,163 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for the info, and when you say your legacy AVR, who makes that? This is my Pioneer VSX-1120-K 7.1 Home Theater Receiver http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B0039XQQXA and I love it.

My reference to "legacy" means older Pioneer AVR with HDMI 1.3 switching. Your Pioneer has HDMI 1.4 switching so you are good to go with 3D.

#6 OFFLINE   GeekHSP

GeekHSP

• Registered
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

I've been a Vudu user since the beginning when I was given one of the original hardware devices with some credits as a Geek Squad manager. I disconnected it out of frustration/disgust when they sold out to Wallyworld, but have started using the PPV service through my ps3 recently as a supplement to my other services. I really like the new interface and pricing.

#7 OFFLINE   bobbyv

bobbyv

Legend

• Registered
  • 114 posts
  • LocationEdmond, Oklahoma

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:20 PM

I think I still have a credit on Vudu . . . if my wireless broadband service was more reliable and faster I'd probably use it. But I think I've tried it before and things weren't talking fast enough. Oh well, I guess Hulu Plus and Netflix will have to do for now.

HR34-700
HR21-200
HR22-100

#8 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,163 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:23 AM

I think I still have a credit on Vudu . . . if my wireless broadband service was more reliable and faster I'd probably use it. But I think I've tried it before and things weren't talking fast enough. Oh well, I guess Hulu Plus and Netflix will have to do for now.

Yeah. In order to get the full benefit from Vudu's HD stuff, you need a pretty fast connection. It does work well though when it works.

#9 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:48 PM

Yeah. In order to get the full benefit from Vudu's HD stuff, you need a pretty fast connection. It does work well though when it works.

I still have not used the Vudu service, how does it compare to Amazon VOD? I buy a lot of movies and TV shows outright with Amazon VOD and love there service

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#10 OFFLINE   Capmeister1367066138

Capmeister1367066138

Cool Member

• 13 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:40 AM

The selection is quite good and the "HDX" quality is very impressive.

How much better is HDX than HD? I've only tried the HD and thought it was fine and didn't feel the need to go for HDX for an extra buck.

VUDU has replaced my Netflix DVD account (I only have streaming now).

#11 OFFLINE   kiknwing

kiknwing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:37 PM

I still have not used the Vudu service, how does it compare to Amazon VOD? I buy a lot of movies and TV shows outright with Amazon VOD and love there service

Amazon is cheaper is you are buying the movies. Amazon is ~$15 compared to Vudu which is ~$20. IMO I think that vudu's HDX quality is a little better then amazons HD video but is it worth the extra $5, No.
My Setup
Directv '98

spam firewall