Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Roku 2 XS

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fortnerw

fortnerw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

I have a Roku 2 XS and am generally pleased with it. I got the XS because I wanted to be hard wired to my router. 4 times now in 2months I will attempt to use the Roku and it will not awake from sleep mode. The roku screen saver just keeps on the screen. The little green light does not repond to the remote action. The only way to get it to work is remove the power supply to the unit and then plug back in. The unit goes through a reboot process and come up normal. It might go for a week or two before that happens again. Anyone else out there having this type problem. Thanks for any input. I have done the pairing of the remote and unit but that did not help.
Directv since Oct 1994
HR23 with VOD
H24-700
BlueRay with Netflix Streaming
Roku-Amazon Prime

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,475 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

I have a Roku 2 XS and am generally pleased with it. I got the XS because I wanted to be hard wired to my router. 4 times now in 2months I will attempt to use the Roku and it will not awake from sleep mode. The roku screen saver just keeps on the screen. The little green light does not repond to the remote action. The only way to get it to work is remove the power supply to the unit and then plug back in. The unit goes through a reboot process and come up normal. It might go for a week or two before that happens again. Anyone else out there having this type problem. Thanks for any input. I have done the pairing of the remote and unit but that did not help.

All Roku players go into hibernation mode when not in use, the screen saver is normal. I know the Roku uses very little power because I've had one for more then 2 years. I think with you pulling the power supply you could be doing more harm then good, if I were you, just leave it alone and let it do it's thing when in hibernation mode

Edit after reading your post again, it sounds like a bad update, have you checked out the ROKU Forums ?

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#3 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,056 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

Another thought is heat. Is it in a tight spot where it does not have good air flow?

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#4 OFFLINE   fortnerw

fortnerw

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

All Roku players go into hibernation mode when not in use, the screen saver is normal. I know the Roku uses very little power because I've had one for more then 2 years. I think with you pulling the power supply you could be doing more harm then good, if I were you, just leave it alone and let it do it's thing when in hibernation mode

Edit after reading your post again, it sounds like a bad update, have you checked out the ROKU Forums ?

Yes I have checked the roku forums. This is a know problem with the previous generation but did not see anything like this on the roku2. It has the latest updates as they update with in the sleep mode. It is also out in the open so no heat problem there. Thanks for the inputs. It is always good to get other peoples feedback on these things. I could reset it and then let it reload the updates. Hadn't thought about that. Thanks

JerryF
Directv since Oct 1994
HR23 with VOD
H24-700
Roku-Amazon Prime

#5 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,475 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

Yes I have checked the roku forums. This is a know problem with the previous generation but did not see anything like this on the roku2. It has the latest updates as they update with in the sleep mode. It is also out in the open so no heat problem there. Thanks for the inputs. It is always good to get other peoples feedback on these things. I could reset it and then let it reload the updates. Hadn't thought about that. Thanks

JerryF

Have you tried a factory reset on your unit? It could help, but wont hurt it

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#6 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,056 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

Yeah, usually this units are more or less plug and play without issue. Man, I have been dealing with Roku from the first SoundBridge product a LONG TIME ago.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#7 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:45 AM

I have this problem with my ROKU 1. If I don't use it for a long time I need to unplug it then plug it back in. Kind of a pain.

I would love to get a ROKU 2 but it doesn't have an optical output which I use for my sound system. Kind of bummed they left that feature off.

#8 OFFLINE   fortnerw

fortnerw

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:03 AM

Chris, I too wanted the optical output but found a work around for that problem. Using the HDMI to the Flat Screen Tv. Most Mid to high end tv's have a optical output. I did it that way and the digital signal is passed through. Only problem tv has to be on which would be normal most of time except for music only.
Directv since Oct 1994
HR23 with VOD
H24-700
Roku-Amazon Prime

#9 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:12 AM

Chris, I too wanted the optical output but found a work around for that problem. Using the HDMI to the Flat Screen Tv. Most Mid to high end tv's have a optical output. I did it that way and the digital signal is passed through. Only problem tv has to be on which would be normal most of time except for music only.

That's actually a good idea. My TV has an optical pass through but as you said, the TV must be on. I also have a projector so if I want to watch something on the projector with the TV off, it won't work.

#10 OFFLINE   dualsub20061367066128

dualsub20061367066128

Cool Member

• 20 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

I'm going to pass my son's Roku HDMI cable through his Sony home theater system since they removed optical out.

Not an option unless your system supports HDMI in, but it will work for him. Disappointing that Roku removed optical out.

#11 OFFLINE   jdwatson

jdwatson

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:12 PM

I was happy to see the return of the USB port for showing photos and movies. Quite helpful for showing travel photos from different people without having to upload them. I'm a little surprised they didn't include Gigabit ethernet for the wired connection. All in all, it's a great value and I look forward to buying one.
Jeffrey D. Watson
H20-700

#12 OFFLINE   Tony Chick

Tony Chick

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:04 PM

That's actually a good idea. My TV has an optical pass through but as you said, the TV must be on. I also have a projector so if I want to watch something on the projector with the TV off, it won't work.

The problem is that most TVs, even my new LG do not pass DD 5.1 from the HDMI to the Optical out. An alternative, if your TV and receiver support it is Audio Return Channel (ARC) over HDMI.

HR21-100
HR20-100
Gigabit wired + Wireless-N network w/ Asus N56 Router

5lnb dish (internal switch) + OTA

#13 OFFLINE   fortnerw

fortnerw

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:07 PM

Hello Tony
This work around was for us that have AV receivers with optical inputs and not HDMI. My Sony KDL-46EX500 detects DD from the HDMI input and the TV Optical output is PCM/DD. I can't say for other TV's but mine works great with the Roku2 XS. Just checked out a movie trailer on Amazon and the sound was 5.1DD. Sounded great. Check the specs for your TV. I would think this should be standard for most recent(2years) TV's
Directv since Oct 1994
HR23 with VOD
H24-700
Roku-Amazon Prime

#14 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

Well, due to some changes I made to my system that doesn't require me to need an optical out, I picked up the ROKU 2 XS yesterday. Not bad so far. The PQ seems as good as my ROKU XD/S. Having a bit of fun with Angry Birds as well. :)

The only thing I'm kind of bummed about is that it doesn't have dual band Wifi. Could had used that but I have a workaround for it. No biggy I guess.

#15 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,211 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

I just ordered the Roku 2 XS for the global search feature. I already have an XDS which I would like to use in another room. Does anyone know what will having two Roku units on Netflix, Amazon and Hulu each cost me extra?

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#16 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,475 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

I just ordered the Roku 2 XS for the global search feature. I already have an XDS which I would like to use in another room. Does anyone know what will having two Roku units on Netflix, Amazon and Hulu each cost me extra?

No extra charge, and NetFlix now allows 2 viewings, if you have someone else in your household that wants to watch something different then what you are watching if you wish.

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#17 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,211 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

Well, I ordered the Roku2 XS from Amazon on Wednesday and received it on Friday, two days later. Set-up was straight forward and the connection with my wireless router was routine. Pairing the RF remote with the base took two attempts, but it is working flawlessly so far.

I'm having a problem getting used to the "OK" button not being in the center of the nav buttons, but that's a minor issue. As I said above, the sole reason I got the 2XS model was for the new global search feature that searches across multiple platforms.* I had gotten frustrated with having to search each movie channel individually.

Now, I go to the search 'channel' which is located next to the left, next to the 'player settings' icon, enter a title or person and get a complete list of films or TV shows. Choosing one brings up a list of the streaming channels which offer the film or program, and at what price.

For example: Movie: What Women Want - Mel Gibson, Helen Hunt, Marisa Tomei
[ ] Amazon | Free w/Prime
[ ] Netflix | Free
[ ] VUDU | $2.99

Choosing one takes you directly to that channel and the selected movie or tv program. This is the killer app for Roku, and IMO, makes Ruku the leader in stb's providing and finding streaming content.

*Amazon, Hulu Plus, Netflix, VUDU, HBO GO and Crackle

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#18 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,475 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Well, I ordered the Roku2 XS from Amazon on Wednesday and received it on Friday, two days later. Set-up was straight forward and the connection with my wireless router was routine. Pairing the RF remote with the base took two attempts, but it is working flawlessly so far.

I'm having a problem getting used to the "OK" button not being in the center of the nav buttons, but that's a minor issue. As I said above, the sole reason I got the 2XS model was for the new global search feature that searches across multiple platforms.* I had gotten frustrated with having to search each movie channel individually.

Now, I go to the search 'channel' which is located next to the left, next to the 'player settings' icon, enter a title or person and get a complete list of films or TV shows. Choosing one brings up a list of the streaming channels which offer the film or program, and at what price.

For example: Movie: What Women Want - Mel Gibson, Helen Hunt, Marisa Tomei
[ ] Amazon | Free w/Prime
[ ] Netflix | Free
[ ] VUDU | $2.99

Choosing one takes you directly to that channel and the selected movie or tv program. This is the killer app for Roku, and IMO, makes Ruku the leader in stb's providing and finding streaming content.

*Amazon, Hulu Plus, Netflix, VUDU, HBO GO and Crackle

Nick, the old style Roku remotes work with the new top of the line Roku's as well.

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#19 OFFLINE   fortnerw

fortnerw

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

I have found a glitch about passing 5.1DD. It is either in my TV or AV receiver. Netflix is now sending 5.1 DD Plus. as well as Vudu. My tv or av reciever will not decode that. Strange that Amazon Prime passes 5.1DD from all movies that say 5.1DD. They must not use 5.1DD Plus. To bad these new codecs are not backward compatible but then I guess they could not sell new units every 2-5 years. I'm still holding on to my Yamaha AV optical input!!
Directv since Oct 1994
HR23 with VOD
H24-700
Roku-Amazon Prime

#20 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,211 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

Nick, the old style Roku remotes work with the new top of the line Roku's as well.

Thank you. For personal reasons I won't go into here, your tip about using my 'old' remote on the 2XS means more to me than I can explain. I am surprised I didn't try it, but I had ass/u/med the 'new' RC was RF only.

Thanks again.

Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

spam firewall