Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

mlb.tv on Roku

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bigwad

bigwad

Godfather

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:42 AM

Anyone have any experience with mlb.tv on the Roku? I've got to decide soon if I want to stick with the package on Directv or go with mlb.tv. Also have a Smartv with mlb.tv app on it. Anyone with experience that way?

The price difference is negligible if you haggle with Dtv, but from what I've read, mlb.tv has a few more perks you don't get eith Dtv. Archives, etc.

Appreciate any thoughts.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,301 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

mlb.tv: Bad Deal for Me

Warning: Indecipherable MLB black-out rules a real "gotcha"

I signed up for mlb.tv so I could watch Atlanta Braves games on my Roku box without having to search for sporadic game broadcasts all over the tv "dial". Come to find out too late that, due to inscrutable Major League Baseball blackout rules, I cannot watch ANY Braves games on mlb.tv, although I am located about 300 miles from Atlanta in SE Georgia. To say I am profoundly disappointed would be an understatement, and with no refunds, I feel as if I was defrauded by mlb.tv from the get-go.

Here are the problems I have with mlb.tv:
  • Favorite team (Braves) blacked-out
  • no up-front way to pre-qualify for favorite team by IP or zip code. (qualifier box buried in fine print)
  • bad PQ, worse than SD
  • no access to mlb.tv special features
  • slow operation
  • slate only shown during commercial breaks, no video or audio feed between innings
  • absolutely no refund of the $129 annual 'premium' membership fee
  • mandatory annual "auto-renewal", no user option.
I am very angry with the strangle-hold Major League Baseball has on baseball fans, and I am highly pissed that mlb.tv's unfair (dishonest) rules have cheated me out of watching the Atlanta Braves and flat-out robbed me of $129!

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

Went from Directv baseball package to MLB-TV. Best decision, I luv it. Direct wanted $199 for Extra Innings. MLB-TV was $130.00. Picture quality is SD on my ROKU LT, but who cares. I receive every game, including blackouts after 2 hours after game ends. Not a big deal breaker for me. Will definitely re-subscribe next season.

Can easily cancel the auto-renewal, either by phone or orline. They give a confirmation number.

Edited by ronsanjim, 17 June 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

I have one of the earlier HD Roku boxes but MLB-TV games are all in HD and I have enjoyed for the most part.  Lack of stats and standing is my biggest complaint.  I most likely won't renew next year.  MLB TV does not have a working App on my Vizio Co-Star.  (Wasted my money)

#5 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:21 AM

You can get stats and standings at a blizzard of websites.  If you have a smartphone, the AtBat app will give you all that with your mlb.tv subscription - and all the games and highlights on your phone as well (though I recommend accessing via WiFi if you're watching the videos)

#6 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 546 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

I love MLB.TV. I'm able to watch baseball at work on my 360 or ps3. If or when they ever roll MLB.TV together with Extra Innings like the other sports do I'll be even happier. 

#7 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

I love MLB.TV. I'm able to watch baseball at work on my 360 or ps3. If or when they ever roll MLB.TV together with Extra Innings like the other sports do I'll be even happier. 

OK. You have a 360 and PS3 at work? And you get paid for this work? 

• satcrazy likes this

#8 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 546 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

OK. You have a 360 and PS3 at work? And you get paid for this work? 

I'm in the military.For morale we have both and after hours we use them.

#9 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

mlb.tv: Bad Deal for Me

Warning: Indecipherable MLB black-out rules a real "gotcha"

I signed up for mlb.tv so I could watch Atlanta Braves games on my Roku box without having to search for sporadic game broadcasts all over the tv "dial". Come to find out too late that, due to inscrutable Major League Baseball blackout rules, I cannot watch ANY Braves games on mlb.tv, although I am located about 300 miles from Atlanta in SE Georgia. To say I am profoundly disappointed would be an understatement, and with no refunds, I feel as if I was defrauded by mlb.tv from the get-go.

Here are the problems I have with mlb.tv:

• Favorite team (Braves) blacked-out
  • no up-front way to pre-qualify for favorite team by IP or zip code. (qualifier box buried in fine print)
  • bad PQ, worse than SD

While I commiserate that the blackout rules are absolutely stupid, I need to say the following:
1. "Blackout and other restrictions apply. Please click here for more info" pops you right to a box to put your ZIP code in. No login required.
2. You could've just googled "MLB blackout map" and gotten this: http://en.wikipedia....ckout_Areas.png

3. The PQ is definitely NOT worse than SD. On the Roku itself it's excellent and more than enough to watch the Mets struggle through yet another season.

Count yourself lucky, you could live in Iowa. So many teams claim the state it looks like a bowl of tutti frutti ice cream.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#10 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

But I noticed this on the MLB page on blackouts:

Note MLB.com live game blackouts are determined in part by IP address. The zip code search is offered for general reference only.

My zip code isn't in their database. I guess it falls under their 'recently established' zip codes. It was created in 2003. 

So I entered our old zip code (which is for the town that is next to ours). MLB lists Tampa & Marlins as two teams subject to live blackouts.

But the zip code for my IP provider is in Georgia and their zip code has Atlanta listed.

I don't have MLB.tv on my Roku, but would this cause me problems with blackouts?

#11 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

My now estranged wife had MLB.tv on our Roku for the past three seasons. Our experience was that early in the seasons they had some bugs to work out but once these were resolved it was sweet.

#12 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

I just installed an HDMI cable on LT Roku (The cheap one). The picture quality is excellent. Will never go back to Extra Innings on Directv.

#13 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,480 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

MLB-TV is the most watched App on my Roku. I just wish they would update the App to show more than one game at a time, like the XBox 360 App does.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#14 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

Just to show how stupid the blackout rules are...if you live in Hawaii...you better jump on a jet at 6am if you want to see any of these teams play: Oakland Athletics, Seattle Mariners, San Francisco Giants, San Diego Padres, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, and Los Angeles Dodgers.

That is just absurd.  I am 350 miles from the closest team, and two or three of em claim me.  Claim all they want.  If they want money, they better lift the blackouts.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#15 OFFLINE   bubbaray21

bubbaray21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Carolinas

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

I have a first generation Roku and have subscribed to MLB.tv the last few years. I get HD "quality" broadcasts which isn't bad considering it is a live event over the Internet. I take it out on my patio when the weather is good and can bop from one game to another without too much problem. Unlike DirecTV, there is no multi-game screen. If it comes, great. If not, so be it.

One of the great things about MLB.tv is you can watch a game any time you choose and if you live in an area where you are blacked out, just wait a few hours and an archived replay is available. You can't get that with DTV where it is live only, no replays (your regional sports net may do a replay).

The two things that annoy me about DTV and MLB.tv is that it requires separate subscription. Unlike the NBA and NHL who offer packages across ALL platforms (TV, phone, iPad, etc.), you have to cough up well in excess of $300 to get it across the board.

Secondly, there are no commercials on Roku. You get some if you watch MLB.tv on your computer, but the silence is deafening. And when the live action returns, it is a millisecond off and it is like someone sneaked up behind you and yelled. It can be unnerving.

The great thing about Roku and MLB.tv is that it is a yearly subscription, meaning you can pull up any game at any time from the previous year. A true baseball junky's dream. You can watch a July game on your big screen on Christmas Day is you like. The HD picture quality is very good, not DTV-like, but still not bad.

My only wish for 2014 is that MLB sells their Extra Innings package like the NHL or NBA for a single price for all platforms. I am getting tired of paying for both and will probably eliminate one this year if they don't.
When nothing goes right, turn left.

#16 OFFLINE   JohnDG

JohnDG

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:29 AM

If the game is in progress, can one rewind and start at the beginning?

jdg

#17 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,480 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

If the game is in progress, can one rewind and start at the beginning?

jdg

As I recall from last year, I think you have 3 choices:

1. Watch Live

2. Play from the begining

3. Select a certain inning.

I also have Center Ice, but I think those were the choices for MLB-TV.

#18 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

I've never subscribed to either EI or MLB.tv, I know you can always "bargain" with DirecTV, but does anyone know if MLB.tv ever has offers or discounts?  (not mid season, etc)

#19 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,480 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

I've never subscribed to either EI or MLB.tv, I know you can always "bargain" with DirecTV, but does anyone know if MLB.tv ever has offers or discounts?  (not mid season, etc)

MLB-TV and Game Center are less than Extra Innings and Center Ice. All four do price drops, as the season progresses, but I think MLB-TV and Game Center do them more often, as CI & EI only do half season price drops.

I used to have Center Ice, but changed to Game Center for the following:

1. The lack of Canadian games in HD.

2. The lack of being able to get games when you are away from home. GC has many different devices you can use to view games.

3. If you want to go back and watch a previous game you can do so. With CI you could view a previous game, only if you recorded it, and were home to view it.

I changed to MLB-TV because:

1. The lack of being able to view games away from home.

2. You can view previous games at home or away, without having to record them.

#20 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

Thanks. I'll be looking into MLB.tv this year.  $129.99 ain't a bad price though.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...