Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyone getting the new Apple TV?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

So it anyone planning to get the new Apple TV? I will probably get one for my home theater room mainly because 1080p will probably look better on my 106" screen. :)

I have another Apple TV in one of my bedrooms which I will probably not replace because it's hooked to a 720p TV.

More information about the new Apple TV: http://store.apple.c...family/apple_tv

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

So it anyone planning to get the new Apple TV? I will probably get one for my home theater room mainly because 1080p will probably look better on my 106" screen. :)

I have another Apple TV in one of my bedrooms which I will probably not replace because it's hooked to a 720p TV.

More information about the new Apple TV: http://store.apple.c...family/apple_tv

Actually I am getting two, one for the LR and one for the MBR. And a new iPad for me and for my wife. I have a first gen apple tv that I will move to the basement, I guess! I have been waiting a long time to make this move! Looking forward to streaming XM, spotify and more!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man’s religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -- Mark Twain

#3 OFFLINE   fortnerw

fortnerw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

I am sure the Apple TV is great. I will stick with my Roku XDS. It fits my iptv purpose better than the rest at this time. Have fun with your new device!!!
Directv since Oct 1994
HR23 with VOD
H24-700
BlueRay with Netflix Streaming
Roku-Amazon Prime

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,661 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:51 AM

While Apple TV is impressive I too will be sticking with my Roku.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

While Apple TV is impressive I too will be sticking with my Roku.

Same here, and they both do the same thing but ROKU costs less.

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#6 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

What's funny is I have both the Apple TV and Roku and I use them both. The Roku is definitely great for what it does. Large selection of channels and good quality.

The Apple TV (at least for me) is great for renting movies. The quality tends to be a bit better than the Roku since the Apple TV is able to buffer more data (basically the entire movie). I also use the Apple TV to stream from my iPad and iPhone and now that I can view digital copies, it makes the Apple TV even more valuable.

#7 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

What's funny is I have both the Apple TV and Roku and I use them both. The Roku is definitely great for what it does. Large selection of channels and good quality.

The Apple TV (at least for me) is great for renting movies. The quality tends to be a bit better than the Roku since the Apple TV is able to buffer more data (basically the entire movie). I also use the Apple TV to stream from my iPad and iPhone and now that I can view digital copies, it makes the Apple TV even more valuable.

What is the price of admission on renting movies and TV shows on the Apple compared to what you can rent on the ROKU from Amazon? If it's cheaper on the Apple TV, I may need to pick up one

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#8 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

What is the price of admission on renting movies and TV shows on the Apple compared to what you can rent on the ROKU from Amazon? If it's cheaper on the Apple TV, I may need to pick up one

Prices are the same. As I said before though, if you have digital copies included with Blu-Ray's you buy, the iTunes store will match it (for free) and make it available on the Apple TV for viewing. Much easier than ripping the disc and converting it.

#9 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

For me, it's all about content. If Apple tv doesn't offer more (and better) movies for a comparable price I'll stick with Roku and Amazon Prime.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#10 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

I did manage to the get the new Apple TV yesterday. All of my purchased movies are now 1080p which is kind of nice. I looked at some samples last night and I must admit the picture quality on Apple TV 1080p movies rival Blu-Ray's. Very crisp and clear as they should be for HD. Not bad at all!

#11 OFFLINE   dualsub20061367066128

dualsub20061367066128

Cool Member

• 20 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

I'm not getting a new Apple TV. In fact, my last remaining Apple TV 2 goes on the shelf as soon as my Roku XS gets here.

I can't imagine that Amazon rentals will be too far behind the 1080p that iTunes offers, but more than that the Apple TV doesn't offer me the same channel options.

I watch TWiT and some Revision 3 shows. I stream international news and Hulu Plus. I do a lot of things with my Roku that I simply can't do with my Apple TV.

I realize that a lot of the content that you find as channels on the Roku are watchable through iTunes podcasts, but it's not complete and it's certainly not as convenient.

Roku for me.

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

We finally picked up an Apple TV recently to share between my father's TV and mine. We have different accounts, but it is easy enough to move the Apple TV from one room to another and also easy now to switch accounts on it until we decide whether to invest in another. My Blu-ray player already does Amazon so that wasn't of concern to me, and I don't expect Apple to ever contract to support the Amazon streaming directly.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#13 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

I can play streaming video from my iPad (HBOGo, MLBTV) on my Samsung SmartTV with a 30pin-HDMI cable.

I get Netflix directly on the Sammy.

Aside from ditching the cord between the iPad and the TV, what's the advantage of AppleTV?

#14 OFFLINE   gjrhine

gjrhine

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

All the other things it can do.  you will see when you do the research.

Gary

#15 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

All the other things it can do.  you will see when you do the research.

From what I've seen, I can get most of what Apple TV provides on my existing equipment and subscriptions.  I have little interest in streaming music or photos to my TV.  

Perhaps I'm missing something, or maybe my preferences are different from those of AppleTV users.

I was just trying to find out what people like about it.  Sorry if my initial post was poorly phrased.

#16 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

I can play streaming video from my iPad (HBOGo, MLBTV) on my Samsung SmartTV with a 30pin-HDMI cable.

I get Netflix directly on the Sammy.

Aside from ditching the cord between the iPad and the TV, what's the advantage of AppleTV?

That's a pretty big advantage in itself, IMO. Trying to pry the iPad out of my wife's hands when she's reading a book on it is virtually impossible!

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#17 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

That's a pretty big advantage in itself, IMO. Trying to pry the iPad out of my wife's hands when she's reading a book on it is virtually impossible!

:)

My wife's happy with her iPhone. I'm usually the one holding onto the iPad.

#18 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,590 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:22 AM

Not likely here - my Roku has everything we watch available on it. 

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#19 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,590 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

Update: Intel may ditch OnCue IPTV service project if it can't find an investor 

If you were sincerely hoping to buy an Intel set-top box this year, those dreams are looking a little more unlikely. The chip giant may scrap its not-cable product if it can't find a backer to help fund and distribute it, according to All Things D. This comes after Corporate VP Erik Huggers admitted that the service wouldn't do as hoped and free users from the yoke of TV, while new CEO Brian Kraznich has said he's "cautious" about getting into the TV game.

erik-huggers-intel-scrapping-tv-service.
Engadget

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...