Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Prime Users, How's It Working Out?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sledge Hammer!

Sledge Hammer!

AllStar

• 69 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

Is the selection worthwhile?

Streaming OK, or are their glitches?

I'm thinking about signing up but haven't pulled the pin yet.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

Is the selection worthwhile?

Streaming OK, or are their glitches?

I'm thinking about signing up but haven't pulled the pin yet.

I love it, my subscription ends in 2 weeks, boy the year has gone by quick. And I am all set to re-subscribe for another year, I buy alot of stuff at Amazon so Prime is well worth it for me.

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:05 AM

It's not bad. The selection is getting better. I use Amazon a lot for buying stuff and having the streaming service included is definitely a plus. The quality isn't too bad either.

#4 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

It's not bad. The selection is getting better. I use Amazon a lot for buying stuff and having the streaming service included is definitely a plus. The quality isn't too bad either.

I have cut back so much on my Dish Network package that it's also cheaper for me to buy and subscribe to shows like The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad and many others with Amazon VOD.

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#5 OFFLINE   Sledge Hammer!

Sledge Hammer!

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

I buy some items from A, but not a lot. I'm not picky about shipping and can wait the week or so for normal processing, so Prime wouldn't really be about that.

#6 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

I got prime mostly as a backup to Netflix, but for movies, prime is not nearly as well organized as Netflix. I find that I am ordering less stuff over the net and that includes Amazon. With Netflix adding 3k titles I may drop prime next time around. We'll see.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#7 OFFLINE   bytored

bytored

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

I have cut back so much on my Dish Network package that it's also cheaper for me to buy and subscribe to shows like The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad and many others with Amazon VOD.

Exactly! I love Amazon Home Video. I cut back on my DTv account and am buying full seasons or by show as they become availaible. In the long run its still way cheaper then paying 95$ per month just to get the few chanels I do watch.

#8 OFFLINE   CliffV

CliffV

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

There is a huge variation in the quality of the streaming apps. I watch both Netflix and Amazon Instant Video on my Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BluRay player.  The Amazon App sucks in comparison to the Netflix app.  Fast Forward isn't usable on the Amazon app but is very usable on the Netflix app.

Amazon also doesn't have anything comparable to the Netflix "Instant Queue".  The interface for searching for shows on Blu Ray players or TVs is awful.  So I like to build a list of shows to watch from my PC. Amazon really needs to allow me to add Prime Instant Videos and other rented instant videos to my "Your Video Library".

I own Amazon Prime for the free 2-day shipping. Otherwise I wouldn't buy it for just the videos.  The selection is too small. My wife have streamed more Pay-per-view  Amazon instant videos than the ones that come free with Amazon Prime.

#9 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

Amazon Prime Video is great...as long as you get it as a 'bonus' for subscribing to Amazon Prime. I've had cases where the Network Connection Utility that checks for internet speed to determine video quality barfed on my Comcast 35Mbps connection and streamed a low res movie.

The big annoyance is the non-video fast forward and rewind. You can fast forward but with no video, you can't tell where you are. Same for rewind.

#10 OFFLINE   CATCRAW

CATCRAW

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

For me the Amazon Prime is a good value and the selection keeps getting better.  We have had NO streaming issues with the movies.  I got so tired of Netflix and the constant streaming interuptions (which had nothing to do with my internet connection or router) I finally gave up and canceled.  Have not had 1 issue with Amazon.  I also utilize the free 2 day shipping and Kindle book borrowing features that are included with Prime.

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

My father subscribes to Amazon Prime...  I remember looking a lot on Netflix for things to recommend to him when he had that, and most were not on streaming...  Amazon has had most of what I wanted to recommend to him, and most of that has been on the free-with-Prime subscription.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,915 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

I buy some items from A, but not a lot. I'm not picky about shipping and can wait the week or so for normal processing, so Prime wouldn't really be about that.

Another level is added when you don't have to have minimum purchases. Need an ink cartridge, Amazon. I pretty much even stopped using Monoprice. I just get an Amazon Basics cable, factoring in Monoprice shipping, it's faster and cheaper through Amazon.

#13 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

Amazon Instant Video isn't too bad. On my iPad the interface is pretty good however, the Watchlist needs to be improved. You can currently add non-Prime and Prime items to your Watchlist, but you can only watch the Prime items (unless you have purchased the non-Prime items via the PC). When looking at the Watchlist, the Prime and non-Prime items are interspersed among each other making it difficult to sometimes see what you can and cannot watch. On my TV, Amazon does not have a Watchlist so you need to search for anything you want to watch. At least on the TV, if it is a non-Prime video you can purchase it there.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#14 OFFLINE   chscott

chscott

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:46 AM

I have been using Amazon 99% / 1% Hulu Plus via a PS3 for pay services and have a simple OTA antenna for the networks. I am going to ditch Hulu , does not pay off for what I watch. Prime has an awesome selection of TV shows. Been watching Justified, Falling Skies and some old Star Trek shows. I don't miss DirecTV at all and certainly don't miss giving them my money.

If I could change one thing about Prime, it would be to have a grid menu selection system instead of scrolling from left to right.

#15 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

I just signed up for both amazon prime and netflix since getting my roku so I can make some direct comparisons.  As far as websites go I prefer the layout of netflix better.  However the picture quality on amazon is better and more of what I watch is in 5.1 surround on amazon whereas the same titles on netflix are sometimes only in 2 channel.

Amazon seems to have more tv shows, especially those that are airing or haven't made it to disc yet. And i'm talking about the free stuff.  And both services have things the other one doesn't so i'm happy to have both.

Hulu on the other hand is just useless.  

#16 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 791 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

I just signed up for both amazon prime and netflix since getting my roku so I can make some direct comparisons. As far as websites go I prefer the layout of netflix better. However the picture quality on amazon is better and more of what I watch is in 5.1 surround on amazon whereas the same titles on netflix are sometimes only in 2 channel.
Amazon seems to have more tv shows, especially those that are airing or haven't made it to disc yet. And i'm talking about the free stuff. And both services have things the other one doesn't so i'm happy to have both.

Hulu on the other hand is just useless.

You must not have netflix's 1080p super hd. In my opinion it's much better than amazons 720p.

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

There is a huge variation in the quality of the streaming apps. I watch both Netflix and Amazon Instant Video on my Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BluRay player.  The Amazon App sucks in comparison to the Netflix app.  Fast Forward isn't usable on the Amazon app but is very usable on the Netflix app.

Amazon also doesn't have anything comparable to the Netflix "Instant Queue".  The interface for searching for shows on Blu Ray players or TVs is awful.  So I like to build a list of shows to watch from my PC. Amazon really needs to allow me to add Prime Instant Videos and other rented instant videos to my "Your Video Library".

I own Amazon Prime for the free 2-day shipping. Otherwise I wouldn't buy it for just the videos.  The selection is too small. My wife have streamed more Pay-per-view  Amazon instant videos than the ones that come free with Amazon Prime.

Ever try a Sammy or Sony BD player?  I gave up on the Pannys a couple years ago.  Been wondering if they got their streaming fixed.  

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

You must not have netflix's 1080p super hd. In my opinion it's much better than amazons 720p.

I get 1080p on Amazon.  

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 791 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

I get 1080p on Amazon.

Rich

I'd swear I read prime streaming was 720p. I'm probably wrong.

#20 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:46 AM

I got prime mostly as a backup to Netflix, but for movies, prime is not nearly as well organized as Netflix. I find that I am ordering less stuff over the net and that includes Amazon. With Netflix adding 3k titles I may drop prime next time around. We'll see.

i decided to keep Amazon prime, it's a good backup for Netflix -- they kinda fill each other's content holes, and I abso-freakin-lutely love Roku's new 'global search' feature. It's the kibbles 'n bits app for finding movies, whether by title, actor or director.

On a related note, I have a couple who are big gamers, having more than one platform with which they also streamed Netflix shows. I convinced them to get Roku and they love it, saying it's much easier and simpler to use and they are 'blown away' by the number of choices (channels) on Roku.

For a one time only cost of less than (not then) a hundred bucks, it is, without question, the deal of the decade and the best way to go for streaming content.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

Protected By... spam firewall...And...