Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RV DirecTV Setup

Best Answer indianabanana , 05 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

Back at the RV Park.  Got a B-Band Converter from a local DirecTV shop.  Found a good spot for the dish.  Leveled the post.  Installed the B-Band Converter.  Hooked up the wires, LNB, etc.  Got the compass out and rough aligned the dish.

Turned it on and .........................NO SIGNAL.  Rotated the dish while the wife looked for numbers on the TV screen.  At at the first rough rotation to the right she yelled out 98, 99, 97, 100, 99, 98, .....  Locked it down and we are good to go.  Can't believe I hit it that close on the first try.  Thanks for all your advice.

Jay

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   indianabanana

indianabanana

• Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Az

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

Trying to setup at my RV site for the first time.

Have a Satellite Oasis HD RV Kit - DTVKAKUSKIT

Liturature says 5LNB, but looks like the 3LNB

No B-Band Converter.

H21-100 Receiver.

Got everything hooked up, changed the settings for the receiver to 3LNB and Multiswitch.  Also tried 5LNB and Multiswitch.  No Satelite signal no matter what I tried.

Aiming right and in the same direction as others in the campground.

Tried switching coax cables.  Tried different connects on the LNB (there are four).

Best response i got from the satellite meter that came with the kit was an intermittant response during aiming.  Meter would go high, not pegged, red LED labeled "H/V" would come on, then  back to zero.  A few seconds later same thing.  Repeated at uniform interval.   Still "No Signal" was the message from the H21.

Do I have to have the B-band converter to receive a satellite signal?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jay

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ikoniq

ikoniq

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

On an H21 you'll definitely need a B-Band Converter if it's operating in multiswitch mode.  It sounds like a Slimline-5 Quattro LNB, which can't feasibly be plugged directly into the LNB without a multiswitch.  So, unless that kit has a multiswitch bundled/integrated into it, it sounds like you're missing a couple components.

Any opinions, express or implied, are solely my own and do not reflect the views of DirecTV, our other representatives, employees, or other associated/affiliated companies.

My Equipment: 1x HR44-500, 1x HR24-200, 1x H25-100, 2x D12-100
My Programming: Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST MAX, NBA LP, NHL CI, MLS DK, Fox Soccer Plus, En Espanol

#3 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,388 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

On an H21 you'll definitely need a B-Band Converter if it's operating in multiswitch mode.  It sounds like a Slimline-5 Quattro LNB, which can't feasibly be plugged directly into the LNB without a multiswitch.  So, unless that kit has a multiswitch bundled/integrated into it, it sounds like you're missing a couple components.

There is no such thing as a "quatrro" LNB

Without the BBC, you can get at least the 101 satellite which is the one used to peak the dish. You wont get any HD channels until you get the BBC. 

You need to make sure that the mast in level and plumb and don't use the cheap meter included in the kit.  use the DirecTV built in signal meters.  These cheap meters are junk!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   indianabanana

indianabanana

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Az

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

The 5LNB shows one with a central pod and two extra ones on one side.  Mine just has the single central pod and four connectors.

I never got a signal on the H21 nor on the signal meter.  Could the LNB be bad?  Is there a way to tell.  Volt/Ohm meter?

Thanks for the replies.

Jay

#5 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,388 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

Although there is a very minute possibility that the LNB could be bad, it always comes down to dish alignment.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   indianabanana

indianabanana

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Az

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

Ok,  Won't be back to the trailer for about a week.

I'll order a BBC from DirecTV and try again.

THanks,

Jay

#7 OFFLINE   thecookiemonstor

thecookiemonstor

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • Locationhere

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

you should also test the voltage coming out of the receiver. volt ohm set to 20vdc. should get 18 on even transponders and 13 on odd transponders. again make sure the mast is level and plumb. this is a legacy system not a SWiM system

Edited by thecookiemonstor, 27 April 2013 - 09:36 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   indianabanana

indianabanana

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Az

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

The H21 receiver came from one of the bedrooms and was on a SWM system.  The back of the receiver has only one input for the satellite and it is labled SWM1.

If that makes any difference.  Worked fine at home before I took it to the trailer.

Thanks,

Jay

#9 OFFLINE   indianabanana

indianabanana

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Az

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:04 PM   Best Answer

Back at the RV Park.  Got a B-Band Converter from a local DirecTV shop.  Found a good spot for the dish.  Leveled the post.  Installed the B-Band Converter.  Hooked up the wires, LNB, etc.  Got the compass out and rough aligned the dish.

Turned it on and .........................NO SIGNAL.  Rotated the dish while the wife looked for numbers on the TV screen.  At at the first rough rotation to the right she yelled out 98, 99, 97, 100, 99, 98, .....  Locked it down and we are good to go.  Can't believe I hit it that close on the first try.  Thanks for all your advice.

Jay

spam firewall