Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cannot watch PC videos on Directv

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   thebigeazy

thebigeazy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSouth Louisiana

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

I have some video clips on my PC that I want to watch on Directv.

I can see my pictures, and play them as slide shows.  I can see the video titles, but when I click on them it will not play.

All of the videos are from my digital video camera in AVI or WMV format.

I was told I had to convert the video in order to play them.  Into what format should I convert them?

I have Windows Media Player installed.

Any suggestions? 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,063 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

Media Share initially only would display MPEG2 content.  I believe some other codecs have been added, but do not know what restrictions apply (I no longer use it since adding a WD TV Live to my setup).

#3 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

if you install a media server software on your computer like Serviio for example than you can watch your videos on any format, once you install than you can open the software and add your folders where you have your saved videos or any files you want to playback from your folders than save it, then it should appear on mediashare.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#4 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

Media sharing has to be enabled first on PC on "Network and Sharing Center" and it has to show the Directv DVR with the IP address on the software before anything and the server has to be running.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,092 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

if you install a media server software on your computer like Serviio for example than you can watch your videos on any format, once you install than you can open the software and add your folders where you have your saved videos or any files you want to playback from your folders than save it, then it should appear on mediashare.

If it were only that easy. Not all files play correctly and MediaShare is horrible on the receivers. Overly compressed avi files typically work, but good luck getting 720p or higher to work. My plasma even plays 1080p files perfect from my PC.

I always advise those looking to stream files, get a DLNA BluRay player, Boxee, etc...anything is better than DirecTV boxes and use oShare to serve.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

If it were only that easy. but good luck getting 720p or higher to work. 

I don't see the complication as all my youtube videos 720p or higher plays well on the HR24 and 22, even my HQ movies play well.  The only issue i see is pictures degrading which is the server, as I don't see that on TVersity.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,092 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

I don't see the complication as all my youtube videos 720p or higher plays well on the HR24 and 22, even my HQ movies play well.  The only issue i see is pictures degrading which is the server, as I don't see that on TVersity.

A server shouldn't degrade a file; it defeats the purpose of having a high quality file. I've never been able to play a 1080p/24 file on a DirecTV receiver with any server. Everything plays great on my Oppo BR, TV, old LG BR.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...