Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Google Fiber is $120 and I"m paying $113 to D! Crazy...

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   saleen351

saleen351

Godfather

• Registered
  • 478 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

I searched could not find a post about this, maybe I'm using the new forum wrong, took me 5 minutes to find the search box which is in no mans land.

So let me get this straight.

I pay D $113 a month for two boxes for about 50 channels I actually watch. They screwed up my price reduction so I need to call them but I did get my billl down to $96 temporarily for the record.

Google Fiber gives you:

1Gbps speed

1 TB of Google Drive space

Cable TV

2TB DVR box

Record up to 8 shows at once

Channel LIst :http://fiber.google....plans/channels/

$120 per month

D, I'm no expert but you need to do all within your power to keep the NFLST package, because one day if Google Fiber came to my town, I'm so gone. Between comcrap and D I pay $186/month. I would save per year $672 and I'd get way more for my money. For the record I love D, but hate the price. They either need to stand up to the networks or fade into obscurity for us who don't live in rural areas. Even if you have to cut off popular channels to take a stand, do it,  however make sure you lower our bill this time!

I realize many will say Google is not coming to your town anytime soon, and they are correct, but they are putting pressure on cable companies to offer more value, that will have a cascade effect and as D has no internet option they need to show a much greater value.

Edited by saleen351, 27 April 2013 - 06:33 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,134 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

When Google's 4th quarter profit is almost $2 billion more than DirecTV and we are the product, it's not all that surprising. Though they just now are getting HBO, and charging $20. AMC is another major omission. Of course, these issues don't affect everyone.

#3 OFFLINE   directv newb

directv newb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

Any time a company rolls out a new product they usually have a low "initial" price to break new ground and make a name for themselves.  Once the major roll out is done and they are settled in,  then you will see the true prices come to fruition. Once Google spends billions on infrastructure/paying the network provider fees/supplying every one around the country with drv's and related equipment/continuous 24/7 support/ect.. ect...ect..  then you will see what the real cost will be.  Right now Google is just using their billions to "show off" in a very few little markets,  lets see what happens when or if they service the entire United States.

• sigma1914 likes this

#4 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

We're supposed to get it here in Austin, at least in selected areas, before the end of 2014.  However, in looking at the Kansas City pages, I saw no mention of recording or DVRs.  Did I just miss this, or is that not included?

#5 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 820 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

We're supposed to get it here in Austin, at least in selected areas, before the end of 2014.  However, in looking at the Kansas City pages, I saw no mention of recording or DVRs.  Did I just miss this, or is that not included?

If you go to the Features page it does mention the DVR capabilities. It's a 2TB box with the ability to record up to 8 channels at once.

I'd be quite happy with a tenth of their internet speed. Sigh.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#6 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

That's a decent deal...if you're within googles service area.

If they were available in my area (Carlsbad, CA), I'd get their Internet in a heartbeat but pass on their TV with that lineup.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#7 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,620 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

Google probably isn't too worried about making a profit on this right now. They are doing test markets to find out how expensive it really is to do. They are also doing very "easy" cities so far. Provo had millions in fiber the city paid to lay that was way underutilized, Google is buying it off them for $1. Makes it pretty cheap when you get that kind of deal. Austin is a major high tech city where multiple companies laid fiber 10 years ago and went under, so they'll get it for a song there too. Dunno about Kansas City, but I'll bet it was the same situation there.

Let's see how they do in cities that have no existing fiber infrastructure so they have to get permission to tear up streets, or have to string it up on poles and constantly repair it whenever storms take it down. Let's see how they do in older cities in the northeast where every other time you dig you run into something underground that no one knew was there that delays you by weeks or months. I wouldn't be surprised if it never really goes national, they'll just hit all the easy places and ignore the hard ones. If you don't have decent options for DSL where you live, I wouldn't hold my breath for Google to come anytime soon. Running fiber all the way to your house is a lot harder than running it within 3500 feet of your house, which is all that is needed to offer you 50Mb DSL. If you can't even get double digit speed DSL, Google may never come.

If you look at Google's business model, and see that they are selling Internet/TV for less than anyone else and probably not making a profit on it, you have to wonder why they offer that product. Then realize that Internet/TV isn't the product, you are the product! They will collect information on what web sites you visit, what you watch/record on TV, what ads you FF through and which ones make you stop and watch, and they'll aggregate all that with data they already have - what you search for, where you go if you use Google Maps, who you email if you use Google Mail, who you call/text if you have an Android phone, and have even more detailed information on you to sell ads directed at you to companies everywhere.

Some people think having more "targeted" advertising is good so they don't see ads for what they don't want/need, i.e. so a single guy doesn't see ads for diapers and senior citizens don't see ads for a Lady Gaga concert. They just haven't considered the ramifications of that. I don't want companies knowing so much about me they can market stuff directly at me. I'd rather marketers waste as much money as possible trying to sell me stuff I don't want, it limits how much advertising they are willing to do. If they knew I was in the market for a new car, can you imagine how badly I'd be bombarded? They spend tons of money advertising cars as it is and that's a shotgun approach since only a few percent of people are actively looking at any moment. Can you imagine how many ads you'd see if they knew you were ready to buy and looking to spend at least $50,000? Look at what happens when a bride to be gets on the mailing list for all that crap they send. What if all she saw on TV or the internet was ads about bridal events, dress shops, caterers, DJs and so on?

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,570 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Google is buying it off them for $1. Makes it pretty cheap when you get that kind of deal. 

You left out the part where google has to "finish upgrades and deployments that could ultimately cost $30 million"

http://www.engadget....mpaign=Engadget

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   hrobbs

hrobbs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

Yes, but, there are only about 5 houses that actually have it connected! I live in the Northland area of KC, at least a year or two before they get around to installing here. I'll go with the internet at 1G for $70, but want Directv for Sunday ticket and Extra Innings.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,134 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

Google still gets the good end of the bargain potentially. Provo has to spend 1.7 million in finding the fiber, upgrades and an insurance policy, plus 3.3 million for the next 12 years to pay off a bond.

I have fiber coming into the house, but only considered it for Internet.

#11 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,620 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

You left out the part where google has to "finish upgrades and deployments that could ultimately cost $30 million"

http://www.engadget....mpaign=Engadget

Sure, but having that already in the ground is a huge advantage. They'd have to spend that $30 million regardless, but they saved the millions that the city already spend laying what is there now.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,570 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

Sure, but having that already in the ground is a huge advantage. They'd have to spend that $30 million regardless, but they saved the millions that the city already spend laying what is there now.

RIght, I was just clarifying because you made sound that all they paid was $1.  This dollar is just "symbolic" as they are taking over the network, which could cost way more than the projected 30 million if the hits snags line braking underground pipes or some unexpected "expenses"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

You know who should get into Internet/TV? Walmart.

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,570 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

here is another "wrinkle"

http://feedproxy.goo...~3/wcZaaG5_9OA/
  • mnassour likes this
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 820 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

I desperately want them to succeed with this. More internet competition can only be a good thing.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#16 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 546 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

You know who should get into Internet/TV? Walmart.

That's just what we need. More Walmart.

#17 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

Austin is a major high tech city where multiple companies laid fiber 10 years ago and went under, so they'll get it for a song there too. Dunno about Kansas City, but I'll bet it was the same situation there.

Ummm....not completely.  The fiber in the ground here is either 1) in use by the government or 2) obsolete.  However, Google does indeed have a sweetheart deal with the city to run fiber on utility poles (the city owns the utility here), and AT&T is saying now IT wants to run fiber under the same terms and conditions.

Hell AT&T couldn't get me a consistent DIAL TONE for 10 years, and I'm five miles from downtown!

At any rate, I'm ready to send Google a check!

Edited by mnassour, 28 April 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

here is another "wrinkle"

http://feedproxy.goo...~3/wcZaaG5_9OA/

Great.  Love it!  TimeWarner, the other cablecos and AT&T have been getting far too much far too little for years.  Now, competition is coming and OH LOOK!  WE can provide gigabit too!

Up yours, TimeWarner.

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,570 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:08 PM

Great.  Love it!  TimeWarner, the other cablecos and AT&T have been getting far too much far too little for years.  Now, competition is coming and OH LOOK!  WE can provide gigabit too!

Up yours, TimeWarner.

One of the reasons I want  google to succeed, it is because it will drive up competition, and we the consumers are the ones who at the end will win

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,570 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

And to think that USA is way behind when it comes down to connection speed and how much we pay for for it.

http://dailyinfograp...rld-infographic

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...