Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Google Fiber is $120 and I"m paying $113 to D! Crazy...

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

I desperately want them to succeed with this. More internet competition can only be a good thing.

There has got to be something ironic about that statement when its Google you are talking about being the competition. This may be one of those be careful what you wish for moments.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

You know who should get into Internet/TV? Walmart.

Watch what you say? They own Vudu.

#23 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,483 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

There has got to be something ironic about that statement when its Google you are talking about being the competition. This may be one of those be careful what you wish for moments.

Don't see nothing wrong with competition.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#24 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

Walmart already got into internet once before. It's been awhile though. I remember seeing their CDs in stores back in the day.

Edited by Volatility, 29 April 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,035 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:27 AM

Don't see nothing wrong with competition.  

There's nothing wrong with competition per se, but there are some potentially bad outcomes. If Google is just another option competing on roughly equal footing with the other providers that's great, but they may not wish to compete but to dominate. What if Google decides they're going to make all their money from data mining from/advertising to people, so they can sell internet service and TV at or even below cost? That would drive some of the weaker cable companies and telcos out of business, and hurt the ability of the rest to invest in improving their infrastructure. I'm sure many people think "they suck, so why should I care?" but you might start caring if Google became your only option for internet service (or for TV, if your house has trees and satellite isn't an option)

Where I live I have only one cable company and one phone company. The cable TV rates for the exact same packages and identical channel list for the same provider I have here have always been about 25% lower in a city 25 miles away, because they have two cable companies and the competition forces their pricing down. Google will force prices down, but if they force it down too far, they'll become the only game in town. If the FCC doesn't uphold net neutrality, Google could put Bing, Hotmail, and iTunes on the slow lane to "encourage" people to use their services instead and you'd have no recourse. They are playing the long game, and no one knows what their end goal is.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#26 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,483 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:45 AM

Love these "conspiracy theories"  This is what we have regulations for.  and what is stop the other "big players" not to stand up and say, don't use Google because they are selling your life away.  Don't think Google wants to go that way, since they have already been on that "slippery slope"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#27 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,079 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

I searched could not find a post about this, maybe I'm using the new forum wrong, took me 5 minutes to find the search box which is in no mans land.

So let me get this straight.

I pay D $113 a month for two boxes for about 50 channels I actually watch. They screwed up my price reduction so I need to call them but I did get my billl down to $96 temporarily for the record.

Google Fiber gives you:

1Gbps speed

1 TB of Google Drive space

Cable TV

2TB DVR box

Record up to 8 shows at once

Channel LIst :http://fiber.google....plans/channels/

$120 per month

D, I'm no expert but you need to do all within your power to keep the NFLST package, because one day if Google Fiber came to my town, I'm so gone. Between comcrap and D I pay $186/month. I would save per year $672 and I'd get way more for my money. For the record I love D, but hate the price. They either need to stand up to the networks or fade into obscurity for us who don't live in rural areas. Even if you have to cut off popular channels to take a stand, do it,  however make sure you lower our bill this time!

I realize many will say Google is not coming to your town anytime soon, and they are correct, but they are putting pressure on cable companies to offer more value, that will have a cascade effect and as D has no internet option they need to show a much greater value.

I searched could not find a post about this, maybe I'm using the new forum wrong, took me 5 minutes to find the search box which is in no mans land.

So let me get this straight.

I pay D $113 a month for two boxes for about 50 channels I actually watch. They screwed up my price reduction so I need to call them but I did get my billl down to $96 temporarily for the record.

Google Fiber gives you:

1Gbps speed

1 TB of Google Drive space

Cable TV

2TB DVR box

Record up to 8 shows at once

Channel LIst :http://fiber.google....plans/channels/

$120 per month

D, I'm no expert but you need to do all within your power to keep the NFLST package, because one day if Google Fiber came to my town, I'm so gone. Between comcrap and D I pay $186/month. I would save per year $672 and I'd get way more for my money. For the record I love D, but hate the price. They either need to stand up to the networks or fade into obscurity for us who don't live in rural areas. Even if you have to cut off popular channels to take a stand, do it,  however make sure you lower our bill this time!

I realize many will say Google is not coming to your town anytime soon, and they are correct, but they are putting pressure on cable companies to offer more value, that will have a cascade effect and as D has no internet option they need to show a much greater value.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#28 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,079 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

I would not get DIRECTV ever because NFL ST is built in so everyone pays.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#29 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Really? Wouldn't you just decide what the price for the product you get is?

Besides, where do you get this idea from?

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#30 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:47 PM

erm how did you find this out? -.-

Edited by Volatility, 30 April 2013 - 11:48 PM.

• peds48 likes this

#31 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,416 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:37 AM

I think some people figure out an estimate of how many subscribers have Sunday Ticket and how much money DirecTV brings in for the package, with all the freebies and sees that there is a big discrepancy (I'm assuming there is). What is not factored in many times is that it is not the home customers that brings in the money.

#32 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,035 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

I think some people figure out an estimate of how many subscribers have Sunday Ticket and how much money DirecTV brings in for the package, with all the freebies and sees that there is a big discrepancy (I'm assuming there is). What is not factored in many times is that it is not the home customers that brings in the money.

The way they keep giving away ST to residential customers all the time while constantly raising the ST prices for commercial customers may eventually result in a lot of commercial customers dropping it. Fewer people will go to a bar to watch if everyone has a friend/neighbor with ST at home. At some point if ST isn't providing enough additional business to pay for itself you don't renew. If enough of the customers who really pay for it drop it, it might no longer make money for Directv. If that happens, Directv won't think it is worth it to pay for continued exclusivity, and then a lot of bars will drop Directv entirely since ST is the only reason they subscribed.

I'm sure Directv has run their models and thinks these giveaways are worth it, but it is possible to see a scenario where it proves to be a big mistake.

#33 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,483 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

Things are getting better… Thanks to Google

http://www.engadget....mpaign=Engadget

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#34 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,829 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

Things are getting better… Thanks to Google

http://www.engadget....mpaign=Engadget

Better? $150 for just gigabit internet is better? !rolling

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#35 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,483 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

well is a start, right?  Who would of though CenturyLink to offer "gigabit" speeds… if it catches on, prices goes down and if more companies follow suit…  this is getter better by the day.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#36 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,035 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

I'm in Centurylink country (but not Omaha) so I'm certainly interested to see this development. I wonder what the "$80 as part of a bundle" means? Will they start selling TV themselves, or are they talking about the same old triple play deals with Directv they've had forever?

I don't really see the point of going all the way to a gigabit, but if they had 100 for half that $150 I'd go for it, it would be only $10 more than what I pay Centurylink now for 20/5 DSL. I get full rate 24/7 on my link now and no caps, so Centurylink is a good provider. I'd much prefer them over Mediacom if they started offering TV!

#37 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:57 PM

Will they start selling TV themselves, or are they talking about the same old triple play deals with Directv they've had forever?

I would guess they are referring to the Prism TV they offer in limited areas, more information about it can be found here. Under the Channel Lineup tab the drop down has the service areas where its currently offered.

#38 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,416 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

My fiber carrier charges $100 a month for 50mbps and $300 for 100.

#39 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,483 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

My fiber carrier charges $100 a month for 50mbps and $300 for 100.

Yep,  my FiOS wants 89.99 for 50/20 "quantum"  at this rate it would cost me $1799 to get "gigabit" speeds with FiOS.  so better, yes indeed!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall