Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Concerts, Some Good, Some Not

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

AXS and VH1Classiics have been running some really good concerts lately.  Unfortunately, some aren't so good.  As I type, Styx is on VH1Cl and this appears to be one of the better ones.  REO Speedwagon was on not too long ago and while the mains tracks were good, at the end of most, they tended to just go on and on and on and on and on more or less making noise instead of music, sometimes for longer than the song itself, or so it seemed.  The Mute button got a workout during that one.

One that really disappointed me recently was Jefferson Starship on AXS.  They made a big deal about some kid's orchestra as their background.  Now, that would have been fine, if they were in the background, but they were more or less the primary focus.  I couldn't even hear the Starship members playing or singing.  Had it been billed as the kids group with Starshiop supporting them, that would have been fine.  There's no disputing the kids were good, but that isn't what I expected to see or what I tuned in for.

Chicago was pretty good too.

Some of them are newer performances, reunion tours you could say.  But others are vintage like the Queen concert.

I've seen a couple with McCartney also.

Frampton was OK, but didn't seem to have the proper energy.  It was almost Frampton - Lite.

The Who, Fleetwood Mac and Alice Cooper were pretty good as were Tom Petty, The Rolling Stones and a few others.

Crosby, Stills and Nash was outstanding.

Edited by SayWhat?, 27 April 2013 - 04:35 PM.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

By the way, Behind the Music, Remastered:  Deep Purple premiers tonight on VH1Cl.

#3 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

Do yourself a ginormous favor, and subscribe to Palladium until they rerun "The Last Waltz" again.

It sounds like you would also like the recent (?) release of the old Stephen Stills studio recordings, and probably the pre-Harvest 1971 solo performance of Neil Young at Massey Hall. I got the acoustic version of "Ohio" from iTunes from that concert, and it is the most haunting and beautiful song performance I've ever heard (the commercial version was an overproduced electrified mess). The 1971 live acoustic performance makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up every time I hear it.

Howard Stern played something interesting for us the other day, which was an early Steve Miller recording. It had the chord structure and feel of "The Joker", but the lyrics were from "Take the Money and Run". It was pretty interesting to get a peek inside the creative process for how he eventually came up with both songs.

Edited by TomCat, 27 April 2013 - 06:41 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,090 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

Joe Jackson (don't recall the network) was excellent. Really did the Count justice.

There was a funky one that was more of a documentary than a concert.  It mostly dealt with New Orleans and its music community.  Excellent viewing and listening.

The Elton John concert on Ibiza was downer.  He played on a stage full of instruments, but sang everything with just his piano.  The band finally struck up with someone I've never heard of and Elton started singing songs unknown to me.  One of the few Elton concerts I have deleted in mid-stride.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#5 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

New concert by Asia tonight on AXS, 8PM Eastern and then again a couple of hours later.  Actually they say it's a re-edit (whatever that means) of the 30th anniversary concert.

Also a rerun of the YES 35th Anniversary concert from 2004

Edited by SayWhat?, 29 June 2013 - 05:30 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

The "re edits" are the same concert with some of the filler removed to fit into a smaller time slot.

#7 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,090 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

Really enjoyed the REO Speedwagon: Live at Moondance Jam concert on Palladia the other night.  Replays on Aug 5 ... I recommend it.

Willie Nelson & Friends is on this Saturday, 11 PM (E). I hope he doesn't butcher his hits this time.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#8 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

Playing back a DVR'd  AXS concert Yes, 35th Anniversary from 2004 noted above.

Not too many of the 70s classics bands would have a full sized grand piano on stage.  Most everybody used electronic keyboards, which Wakeman also did extensively.  Elton John, maybe Chicago and a couple of others used acoustic pianos.  But it's definitely not something you expect to see in a concert of this type.

#9 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,090 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

Watched Seal last night.  I recorded it from an AXS broadcast a few nights ago.  Seal & Co. did a wonderful job of bringing back old and soulful favorites. Looked for the next showing, but the EPG doesn't have it listed in the next 9 days.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#10 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,090 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

Watched Sting: Live in Berlin on AXStv the other night.  This was a part of his Symphonicity world tour and featured great songs and included the artistry of Brandon Marsalis and was accompanied by the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra.  Worth every bit of the 70-minutes.

Unfortunately, AXStv doesn't show a replay so far in the month of August, but I hope it'll replay next month.  It's that good.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#11 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:34 PM

Watched Sting: Live in Berlin on AXStv the other night.  This was a part of his Symphonicity world tour and featured great songs and included the artistry of Branford Marsalis and was accompanied by the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra.  Worth every bit of the 70-minutes.

Unfortunately, AXStv doesn't show a replay so far in the month of August, but I hope it'll replay next month.  It's that good.

Check the axs tv on demand. Possibly it is in there?
  • Henry likes this

#12 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

Love "Worlds Greatest Tribute Bands" on AXStv

#13 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,090 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

Love "Worlds Greatest Tribute Bands" on AXStv

Who were they paying tribute to?

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#14 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:00 PM

Last few weeks were the Beatles ,the police,guns n roses, David Bowie .
Check the site for the upcoming bands .
http://m.axs.com/greatesttributebands
  • Henry likes this

#15 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

The Who, Quadrophenia premiers on AXS tonight.  Listing says live from beginning to end, but also mentions archived footage.

#16 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

I was watching a "Pink Floyd" concert on PBS between sales pitches. I felt pretty lucky to catch a Floyd concert because there were not many of them ever recorded; I think the last two were over 10 years apart. As I watched, I thought to myself "even though these guys rarely posed for pics, I thought I knew what these guys looked like." And the music was dissapointing, as if they were trying to recreate the studio performances nearly note for note; no new innovations, no real talent or soul...I might as well have cranked iTunes instead, because these guys were sleepwalking. I was marvelling at how they got a concert recording in HD of a band that probably performed once or twice since HD recordings of concerts became common, when...

Finally, about 20 minutes in, it finally dawned on me that it was a cover/tribute band. Motherf.. I guess there are a few of them. All they really accomplished was making me feel stupid for buying in. That explained everything, except why PBS would stoop that low.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

spam firewall