Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Neighbors - it ain't Masterpiece Theatre

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

Sure, I understand that a lot of you will probably hate this show, because it is another stupid sitcom with no star power, and a high concept. Go for it.

But it is also really funny and really cleverly-written, so I am pulling for a pickup. Every ep has at least a half-dozen gems in there that outweigh the stupid.

There seems to be two paths for comedies lately (well, three, if you include the 3-cam with audience and laugh track variety, which seems to be thriving over on CBS).

But as for the single-camera no-laugh-track variety, there are two paths. One of them seems to be a true "vast wasteland" (FCC Commish Newton Minow's observation is nearly as spot-on today as it was half a century ago) chock-filled with really bad attempts that are just so bad it makes you shake your head that they were ever green-lighted, and most of which seem to get their opportunity to fail on ABC.

Then there are the "Modern Families".....oh wait; there is really only one Modern Family, and it is getting pretty insufferable and long in the tooth. I think all of the copycats missed the mark in understanding just why it was so successful. So MF is the lone exception. Not every character can be Phil Dunphy.

But there are sitcoms out there (some of which have failed but some of which have not) with really funny and clever writing, and really compelling characters, such as Community, Don't Trust the B..., Suburgatory, Veep, Californication, Parks and Rec, etc. And they seem to get sillier and more outrageous and more stupid every year, but also get funnier and more entertaining every year. Chalk them up to guilty pleasures, as they do what they are designed to do, be escapist light fun in our post-apocalyptic economy.

Maybe I'm just lowbrow, but I liked Partners (very surprised at how quickly that one got the axe), and Rob, and even Man Up (yeah, I said it...it was as stupid as can be, but still funny). And I have my fingers crossed for Whitney.

Edited by TomCat, 27 April 2013 - 05:57 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jdh8668

jdh8668

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

The Neighbors is one of, if not, our favorite new show this year. The way networks yank shows after one or two airings, it's no wonder people are flocking away. Hope they keep it.  Of course we also like other quirkey shows like Louie & Wilfred...and Big Bang Theory.

#3 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,392 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

The Neighbors is one of my favorites too!  It is so stupid, but it is stupid done very well!  :)

• RunnerFL likes this

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

We love this show. The best scifi sitcom since "Mork & Mindy" and I hope ABC will give it a second season.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

Same here, one of the only new Network TV shows that I kept in season pass, can't wait for season 2

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#6 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

We love this show. The best scifi sitcom since "Mork & Mindy" and I hope ABC will give it a second season.

I thought I read it was picked up, and in theme of this great show, you are at least in this thread now known as Obi Wan Kenobi  :righton: 

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

I thought I read it was picked up, and in theme of this great show, you are at least in this thread now known as Obi Wan Kenobi  :righton: 

Obi Wan Kenobi. I'll take the compliment.

Unfortunately ABC hasn't announced any renewals yet. "The Neighbors" is considered on the bubble because of weak ratings. In the last episode they were practically begging for a pickup.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#8 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

Obi Wan Kenobi. I'll take the compliment.

Unfortunately ABC hasn't announced any renewals yet. "The Neighbors" is considered on the bubble because of weak ratings. In the last episode they were practically begging for a pickup.

Wow, I hope it gets picked up and if not by ABC, maybe NetFlix

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

Sure, I understand that a lot of you will probably hate this show, because it is another stupid sitcom with no star power, and a high concept. Go for it.

Jami Gertz is all the "star power" you need.

The show is absolutely hilarious and very well written.  I'm just waiting on renewal news!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

I love how the ended this season with the little jokes about renewing the show.  I too hope it gets renewed, the show really grew on me and I found myself looking forward to it each week.

#11 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,360 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

uhh, network, day, time? \_o_/

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#12 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

uhh, network, day, time? \_o_/

It had a 22 episode season on ABC (on Thursday at 8:30 pm between "The Middle" and "Modern Family") that ended March 27. Unfortunately, the entire season doesn't seem to be available anywhere for streaming free though it is available through pay sites like Amazon, itunes, Hulu and Vudu. Five episodes are available at ABC.

My AV Setup

#13 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

Color me very surprised. I really though I was going to get bashed for liking this. Happy you all do, too.

Edited by TomCat, 30 April 2013 - 07:54 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#14 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

Color me very surprised. I really though I was going to get bashed for liking this. Happy you all do to.

Dennis Rodman, we can still bash you if you wish?  :rotfl:  Even though we all seem to like this very odd show  :righton: 

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

Just for the record, "The Neighbors" was renewed! :joy:

My AV Setup

#16 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

That was announced yesterday followed by a "hold on a minute" statement saying it wasn't 100% renewed.  Unless that has since been reverted today.  lol

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#17 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

Obi Wan Kenobi, you brought us great news today  :righton: 

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#18 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

That was announced yesterday followed by a "hold on a minute" statement saying it wasn't 100% renewed.  Unless that has since been reverted today.  lol

It's renewed, but I'm hoping they'll see how the ratings go in the fall with it placed between "The Middle" and "Modern Family". What concerns me is they announced it along with "Last Man Standing" which is a Friday show and they did not pick up "Malibu Country" that followed it. And they always reserve the right to replace these sitcoms mid-season.

My AV Setup

#19 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

It's renewed, but I'm hoping they'll see how the ratings go in the fall with it placed between "The Middle" and "Modern Family". What concerns me is they announced it along with "Last Man Standing" which is a Friday show and they did not pick up "Malibu Country" that followed it. And they always reserve the right to replace these sitcoms mid-season.

Remember way back in the 70's and 80's Friday nights had must see TV, awe the good old days

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#20 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:49 PM

Dennis Rodman, we can still bash you if you wish?  :rotfl:  Even though we all seem to like this very odd show  :righton: 

I could never rebound all that well.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...