Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Phone transaction fee??

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   goldwing

goldwing

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSW OHIO

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

I replaced a owned H20-600 with a owned HR24-500 last month and called to buy a new card and then had to call again to get it activated after receiving the new card and now i see a $5+ tax fee on my bill. Anyone else seen that before?  When i ordered the new card i was told i wouldnt need to speak with anyone to activate but that ended up not being true. When i called and started the process to activate it i was auto transfered to a live person for no reason. I was told at the beginning of this process there would be NO added charges to my bill at all. They also added another fee of $3.20 that i cant make heads or tails of. The airlines started this "FEES" stuff and now everyone is doing it.

Denon 4308
HR20-700 leased
H20-100 leased

HR24-500 owned

HTPC running XBMC 12.2

With DirecTV since Dec 1994

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,555 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

Probably your state sales tax added to the purchase of a new card.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

Probably your state sales tax added to the purchase of a new card.

you cannot buy something what belong to the company ... did you read fine print on it ?

#4 OFFLINE   goldwing

goldwing

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSW OHIO

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

Well i got alittle info from dtv. The $5 they said was a mistake and was credited.  They did add state tax to the card purchase. Come to find out they really messed up and had my owned HR24-500 as a leased and had already set me up with another 2 year commitment even though i went through the Access Card Distribution Team the whole process. I hopefully got that all straighten out now.  Heres the real kicker that i would love someone to explain to me.  Why is the tax different depending on lease or owned?  They told me that a leased box is $6 plus .42 tax for total of $6.42. A owned box is $6 plus .33 tax for total of $6.33. Another question is why pay tax on the access card at all since i never really own it?

Denon 4308
HR20-700 leased
H20-100 leased

HR24-500 owned

HTPC running XBMC 12.2

With DirecTV since Dec 1994

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,420 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

Leased equipment isn't sales tax exempt. As for the different tax rate, I've never broken mine out like that to know, but I don't think taxes were ever meant to make sense.

• jtudor likes this

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

Leased equipment isn't sales tax exempt. As for the different tax rate, I've never broken mine out like that to know, but I don't think taxes were ever meant to make sense.

RIght, back in the days when I used to rent from blockbuster I used to pay a sales tax

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

RIght, back in the days when I used to rent from blockbuster I used to pay a sales tax

errr, how you avoiding it now ?! ;)

#8 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:39 AM

Well i got alittle info from dtv. The $5 they said was a mistake and was credited. They did add state tax to the card purchase. Come to find out they really messed up and had my owned HR24-500 as a leased and had already set me up with another 2 year commitment even though i went through the Access Card Distribution Team the whole process. I hopefully got that all straighten out now. Heres the real kicker that i would love someone to explain to me. Why is the tax different depending on lease or owned? They told me that a leased box is $6 plus .42 tax for total of $6.42. A owned box is $6 plus .33 tax for total of $6.33. Another question is why pay tax on the access card at all since i never really own it?

The tax rate may be different because some states impose franchise or excise fees on satellite service, which in your state may be applicable to a leased piece of equipment, but not an owned unit. The access card transaction is not for a purchase at all, it is a service fee for the issuance of the card and associated linkage of it to the receiver and your account. Services are subject to sales tax, just like goods.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#9 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

We're being nickle and dimed to death. I won't even go into the chat I just finished with a Time Warner CSR.

#10 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

We're being nickle and dimed to death. I won't even go into the chat I just finished with a Time Warner CSR.

Are you referring to the taxes being discussed? DirecTV, TWC, etc. has no control over the different tax rates being charged. People in Florida are ones being done the worse with taxes.

#11 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

They also added another fee of $3.20 that i cant make heads or tails of.

It should have a name next to it.  Was it a partial charge for activating a receiver in the middle of the bill cycle?

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

if you are referring to the taxes, blame your elected officials.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall