Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper w/sling upgrade vs sling adapter-best option

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TxDave

TxDave

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

Hello all,  I currently have 2 hoppers and 3 joeys and I am considering upgrading by either swapping out 1 hopper for a hopper w/sling or adding a sling adapter.   Which option would be most cost efffective, and any opinions on how much better if any that the hopper w/sling built in works. Are ther any other advantages to one over the other.        Thanks for any input

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

I have both a Hopper/w Sling and a regular Hopper with Sling Adapter.  Generally speaking, I have not been able to notice a difference in streaming performance thru the Dish Anywhere app.  The one major difference (if this matters to you) is that the Sling Adapter does not seem to have an audio only function whereas the Hopper/w Sling does.  I use this at work to listen to various news channels on my Iphone.

Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

#3 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

Adding the Sling Adapter will not give you the Hopper Transfers feature that the Hopper with Sling has (transferring recordings to an ipad). 

#4 OFFLINE   TxDave

TxDave

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

Thanks for the info. The ipad features are a big part of what i'm wanting, so I guess the hopper/sling would be best.   I'll have to get one of the dirt people to check on the cost of the upgrade.

#5 OFFLINE   phatal

phatal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

Also, the Hopper with Sling is a faster machine (1.3Ghz processor vs. 750Mhz processor, 2GB RAM vs. 768MB).  I recently upgraded both of my Hoppers to Hoppers with Sling and there is a noticiable improvement in their response to commands and use of the guide.  I would expect the many things I cannot measure are being processed faster.

FYI - http://www.connectyo...echnical-specs/

#6 OFFLINE   rpotts

rpotts

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

I converted my hopper with external sling to a built in hopper with Sling - upgrade fee - cost $100 and had to commit to another 2 years.  (Probably only 6 more months than my previous committment...)

#7 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 911 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Has anyone assisted you will the Hopper w/Sling upgrade?  Please PM me your account number and verify your 4 digit PIN number on your account if you have not been helped.  Please let me know.  Thanks.

Thanks for the info. The ipad features are a big part of what i'm wanting, so I guess the hopper/sling would be best.   I'll have to get one of the dirt people to check on the cost of the upgrade.

spam firewall