Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need Help Troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

Symptoms: When tuning to many national HD channels, I receive a message that says Searching for satellite signal (771), or words to that effect. Local HD channels seem to be coming in fine. Signal strength on sat 101, tuners 1 and 2, is adequate, even transponders in the 90"s and odd transponders in the 80's. Signal strength on sat 103 (ca) and (cb) is extremely low, in 30's on even transponders and 20's on odd transponders, both tuners. "Signal strength" for swm shows 90's and zeros.

From what I've read on this forum, my diagnosis is a bad lnb (sl3-swm), but I'm a hobbyist, not an experienced installer. I'm ruling out misaligned dish and bad power inserter because of the disparity in even/odd transponder signal strength. Have I diagnosed this problem correctly?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,486 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

Those readings from the 103º satellites are way too low.  They should be mostly up in the high 80-90s like your 101º readings.  It's most likely dish misalignment, not a defective LNB.

Do you have other Receivers/DVRs?  Do they show the same signal readings?

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Those readings from the 103º satellites are way too low.  They should be mostly up in the high 80-90s like your 101º readings.  It's most likely dish misalignment, not a defective LNB.

Do you have other Receivers/DVRs?  Do they show the same signal readings?

My upstairs neighbor shares the dish (this a MDU situation) and his receivers show similar signal readings. Fewer than 8 tuners are involved.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,338 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

RIght I agree with user litzdog, it sure sounds like a dish alignment issue.  You can watch some YouTune videos on how to align a DirecTV dish, but is strongly recommended to have a DirecTV tech do this for you, specially if you have the protection plan as this would be a free visit.  Otherwise it would be $50.00 without the protection plan.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   cbhpi

cbhpi

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

RIght I agree with user litzdog, it sure sounds like a dish alignment issue.  You can watch some YouTune videos on how to align a DirecTV dish, but is strongly recommended to have a DirecTV tech do this for you, specially if you have the protection plan as this would be a free visit.  Otherwise it would be $50.00 without the protection plan.

Thank you both for your help and input.

#6 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,128 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

I think you have to contact the complex manager where you live and they call the company that takes care of an MDU installation to get the realignment.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,338 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

Thank you both for your help and input.

You are welcome 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   KMG 365

KMG 365

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

I also have a 103(ca) signal strength issue that I hope someone can help me with.  I have two receivers, one in the living room (H21) and one in the bedroom (H23).  The issue I have only occurs for the bedroom receiver.  On occasion I lose the HD signal for channels like NFL Network, NBC Sports Network, HGTV, Spike, Speed among others.  I know all those channels have their HD signal on 103(ca).  The signal strength on 103(ca) in the bedroom (H23) runs anywhere from the 40's to the 70's for transponders 8-20.  When I lose the HD signal for the channels I mentioned, signal strength on transponders 21-24 read zero.  When the HD signals are good the signal strength for transponders 21-24 are in the teens to mid-20's.

The signal strength for the living room receiver (H21) is fine, usually upper 80's to lower 90's on 103(ca).

I've reset the bedroom receiver (H23) multiple times.  I've checked the connections, even unplug everything and connect it back together.  I've switched receivers to see if the H23 was bad.  The signal strength was the same in the bedroom for the H21, so the receiver is good.

I don't think it could be an alignment issue since the living room signal strength is good.

My only other thinking is that there is a cable problem somewhere between the switch and wall outlet.  I'm not sure what else it could be.  

Has anyone run into this problem before and can offer advice?  I don't have the protection plan so I am trying to avoid calling DirecTV and have them charge me for a tech to come out.  Thanks.

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

I also have a 103(ca) signal strength issue that I hope someone can help me with.  I have two receivers, one in the living room (H21) and one in the bedroom (H23).  The issue I have only occurs for the bedroom receiver.  On occasion I lose the HD signal for channels like NFL Network, NBC Sports Network, HGTV, Spike, Speed among others.  I know all those channels have their HD signal on 103(ca).  The signal strength on 103(ca) in the bedroom (H23) runs anywhere from the 40's to the 70's for transponders 8-20.  When I lose the HD signal for the channels I mentioned, signal strength on transponders 21-24 read zero.  When the HD signals are good the signal strength for transponders 21-24 are in the teens to mid-20's.

The signal strength for the living room receiver (H21) is fine, usually upper 80's to lower 90's on 103(ca).

I've reset the bedroom receiver (H23) multiple times.  I've checked the connections, even unplug everything and connect it back together.  I've switched receivers to see if the H23 was bad.  The signal strength was the same in the bedroom for the H21, so the receiver is good.

I don't think it could be an alignment issue since the living room signal strength is good.

My only other thinking is that there is a cable problem somewhere between the switch and wall outlet.  I'm not sure what else it could be.  

Has anyone run into this problem before and can offer advice?  I don't have the protection plan so I am trying to avoid calling DirecTV and have them charge me for a tech to come out.  Thanks.

It does sound like you've narrowed it down to a cable problem.

The numbers aren't really power levels, but come from the carrier to noise ratio, which if the cable has too much loss it finally drops and the CNR isn't high enough.

A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,338 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

Have you swapped these receivers? this would eliminate the receivers as the problem and will definitely point to a cable/connector issue.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

Have you swapped these receivers? this would eliminate the receivers as the problem and will definitely point to a cable/connector issue.

"Check"

I've switched receivers to see if the H23 was bad.  The signal strength was the same in the bedroom for the H21, so the receiver is good.

A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,338 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

Thanks VOS, I missed that

Edited by peds48, 02 May 2013 - 03:17 PM.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   KMG 365

KMG 365

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

It does sound like you've narrowed it down to a cable problem.

The numbers aren't really power levels, but come from the carrier to noise ratio, which if the cable has too much loss it finally drops and the CNR isn't high enough.

I've had DirecTV for five years and the problem started about six months ago.  I tolerated it since the low signal strength began.  I would always just switch to the SD channel if the HD was out that day.  I would like to get it fixed because I'm thinking about upgrading to the Genie.  Not sure which room I will put the Genie in but I would like to be able to record in HD.  I might not be able to if it's in the bedroom.

My house is U shaped and the switch is in the attic on one end of the U and my bedroom is at the other end of the U.  The cable run is well over 100 feet, so replacing the coax by myself is not possible.

I suppose I will bite the bullet and call DirecTV and have a tech come out.

Can a DirecTV tech come out without a work order?  For example, if I see a DirecTV van down the road and offer the tech 20 bucks to visit the house and diagnose the problem, would he be able to do that or is that frowned upon?

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,338 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

Can a DirecTV tech come out without a work order?  For example, if I see a DirecTV van down the road and offer the tech 20 bucks to visit the house and diagnose the problem, would he be able to do that or is that frowned upon?

he might be able to come out, but not for $20.00….

But once you call DirecTV to have the Genie installed, they will fix whatever (within reason of course) is needed to get your system up and running.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

I've had DirecTV for five years and the problem started about six months ago.  I tolerated it since the low signal strength began.  I would always just switch to the SD channel if the HD was out that day.  I would like to get it fixed because I'm thinking about upgrading to the Genie.  Not sure which room I will put the Genie in but I would like to be able to record in HD.  I might not be able to if it's in the bedroom.

My house is U shaped and the switch is in the attic on one end of the U and my bedroom is at the other end of the U.  The cable run is well over 100 feet, so replacing the coax by myself is not possible.

I suppose I will bite the bullet and call DirecTV and have a tech come out.

Unless you're fairly good, it might be best to have a service call. The AIM [meter] is designed to find problems like this. Without it, it's much harder. or longer.

100' off a SWiM LNB shouldn't be a problem, so it's back to the cabling.

A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:07 AM

The thread starter stated it is MDU property so realigning the dish is a no no. Her neighbors who share the dish may attack her lol.

You should contact your system operator of whom can send out a technician as MDU accounts are not treated like a regular residential account. You may have paid an amount at the beginning of the year to cover any service outages or the amount for their "protection plan" may be charged to you monthly so either way you should be covered for a service call at no additional charge :)

Edited by Volatility, 03 May 2013 - 12:09 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,338 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:57 AM

The thread starter stated it is MDU property so realigning the dish is a no no. 

Sooo, MDU dishes can't get re-aligned….hmmmm  :nono2:

Don't know where you got this from

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

Sooo, MDU dishes can't get re-aligned….hmmmm  :nono2:

Don't know where you got this from

Yes, but realignment has to be arranged by the MDU manager not by an individual subscriber....and there's no way an individual can arrange a genie upgrade...

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,338 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

Yes, but realignment has to be arranged by the MDU manager not by an individual subscriber....and there's no way an individual can arrange a genie upgrade...

EXACTLY my point, they can be realigned…. :rolling:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   KMG 365

KMG 365

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

Update on my 103(ca) signal strength issue.  Seems like the coax cable from the wall to receiver was bad.  I went to walmart a few days ago and bought a new coax cable.  The signal strength on 103(ca) is now in the 70's and 80's with transponders 21-24 in the 70's.  I haven't lost the HD signal since having the new cable.

I'm glad it wasn't the cable in the attic.  That would have been a pain to replace.

Thanks to veryoldschool for his response.

spam firewall