Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv account questions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   curtm1973

curtm1973

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Az

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

I currently have a directv account with 4 receivers. A family member, who is a directv subscriber in Illinois, is moving in with us (along with her daughter).

A few questions on what is our best bet to continue with service:

1. Is it possible for both of us to keep our accounts we have in the same house (i.e. 2 accounts in 1 house)?

2. If not, how many receivers are allowed on 1 account (we would need Directv in 6 rooms)

3. Are there any other options?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,418 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

My replies are below:

I currently have a directv account with 4 receivers. A family member, who is a directv subscriber in Illinois, is moving in with us (along with her daughter).

1. Is it possible for both of us to keep our accounts we have in the same house (i.e. 2 accounts in 1 house)?

Not sure but I don't see why not.

2. If not, how many receivers are allowed on 1 account (we would need Directv in 6 rooms)

There is not limit on the # of receivers per account.

Not sure either... sorry

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

1: Yes, if both share the same dish, you need to have the hardware upgraded to handle the number of tuners you will have total, and isolate the two accounts.

2: Ive seen people on here with like 20 or more....dont guess there is a hard limit.

3: Close one of the accounts, order new boxes for the new rooms needing service on the remaining account, and pool your money for a better package with more channels...assuming both accounts arent currently under a contract.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

Well, there is a point where you have to weigh whether the installer has the experience to properly put together a very large complex system. I don't think 6 rooms would be like that, as long as he knows to isolate them from accessing each other, which isn't difficult.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,399 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

More specificity about the receivers would be very helpful.  At the very least a breakdown of DVR vs non-DVR would help.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

The only "limit" I know of is that once you go over 6, you can't activate an additional reciever on the website and need to call DirecTV.

As noted previously, it is more cost effective to have only one account, but you may have reasons to maintain financial separation.  Also, assuming the receivers are all leased, the ones from the terminated account would have to be returned, and replacements issued under the surviving account.  Depending on the mix of DVRs and regular receivers, and whether or not all are SWM compatible, you may also need wiring, multiswitch and/or LNB updates.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#7 OFFLINE   EricJRW

EricJRW

Icon

• Registered
  • 507 posts
  • LocationKeller, TX

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

Would adding receivers to the existing account cause the current contract to extend? Other than privacy and the financial responsibility part, I thought combing would make more sense too. However, as I recall, calling in a move did not extend my current contract, so that might be another reason. 

DTV: SIR-TS360 7/25/2004
DTV: HR21-200 7/05/2008

DTV: AM21-700 7/10/2008
DTV: HR22-100 5/15/2009

FTV: QIP6416/QIP2500 4/25/2013

#8 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

Yes adding any new receiver will cause a new contract.  I believe it is 18 months for a SD receiver, and 24 months for pretty much anything else (SD-DVR, HD Receiver, HD-DVR, or Genie).

At this time the Mover's Connection requires a 12 month contract extension if you use it and don't upgrade any hardware.  If you accept their offer of hardware upgrades (Free Whole Home DVR upgrade, Free Sunday ticket MAX), then I believe it may come with a longer commitment, and it definitely will if any receivers are swapped out/upgraded.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#9 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

[quote name="Diana C" post="3131128" timestamp="1367244705"]

Their is an certain amount of how many receivers you can have on one account before DirecTV starts getting suspicious you may be committing satellite fraud. As Diana stated once you go over 6 you have to call in to activate. I can not remember the exact amount it is though once their suspicions start accruing but it isn't something to worry about unless you are doing something illegal. I do remember this one account I had though where the customer had like 18 receivers on his account and he said he doesn't want an installer coming out and to drop ship a few more. He was more than willing to pay for them, but we can not drop ship receivers for rooms that currently do not have a connection, only swap outs so he hung up. lol we googled mapped his house and it was a one story small house. We were thinking yup thats fraud so we escalated his account info. As far as an account limit, I do not believe their is any as some areas have big homes where people have set top boxes in like every room, just if you want more than the usual amount and say something like do not send an installer or anyone from directv out is when it seems like you are doing something fishy lol

Edited by Volatility, 29 April 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

Their is an certain amount of how many receivers you can have on one account before DirecTV starts getting suspicious you may be committing satellite fraud. As Diana stated once you go over 6 you have to call in to activate. I can not remember the exact amount it is though once their suspicions start accruing but it isn't something to worry about unless you are doing something illegal. I do remember this one account I had though where the customer had like 18 receivers on his account and he said he doesn't want an installer coming out and to drop ship a few more. He was more than willing to pay for them, but we can not drop ship receivers for rooms that currently do not have a connection, only swap outs so he hung up. lol we googled mapped his house and it was a one story small house. We were thinking yup thats fraud so we escalated his account info. As far as an account limit, I do not believe their is any as some areas have big homes where people have set top boxes in like every room, just if you want more than the usual amount and say something like do not send an installer or anyone from directv out is when it seems like you are doing something fishy lol

There are reasons for that sometimes.  I work 45 minutes from where I live and have mostly owned equipment.  In my experiences in the past when I have  a receiver bite the dust they almost always want to send someone out.  All 6 of my DVR's are in the same house.  Usually what happens they have to schedule someone, it will be a week, I can really only have them come on Saturday's since I am not home during the day during the week, and last but not leased, THEY ALWAYS SWAP OWNED FOR LEASED!!!  I always have to call the access card department and have it fixed when they leave.  It is much easier to have one activated as owned the first time and much faster to have a replacement drop shipped to me.

The one upside is that I tend to get the dead owned DVR's swapped to HR24's when a tech comes to the house.  I just had a SWM16 replaced a few months ago and showed the tech every DVR in the house.  While I admit I have a larger than normal setup, I am not doing anything wrong but just prefer to deal with replacements on my own.  Should I need an alignment, LNB, cables ran, etc, by all means send a tech as soon as possible.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#11 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

There are reasons for that sometimes. I work 45 minutes from where I live and have mostly owned equipment. In my experiences in the past when I have a receiver bite the dust they almost always want to send someone out. All 6 of my DVR's are in the same house. Usually what happens they have to schedule someone, it will be a week, I can really only have them come on Saturday's since I am not home during the day during the week, and last but not leased, THEY ALWAYS SWAP OWNED FOR LEASED!!! I always have to call the access card department and have it fixed when they leave. It is much easier to have one activated as owned the first time and much faster to have a replacement drop shipped to me.

The one upside is that I tend to get the dead owned DVR's swapped to HR24's when a tech comes to the house. I just had a SWM16 replaced a few months ago and showed the tech every DVR in the house. While I admit I have a larger than normal setup, I am not doing anything wrong but just prefer to deal with replacements on my own. Should I need an alignment, LNB, cables ran, etc, by all means send a tech as soon as possible.

Thats perfectly understandable. Of course not everyone who has a large setup who wants the stuff installed on their own is doing something wrong the amount that are probably very very low. I should of been more specific on that last post was in a rush, that customer I was referring to was obvious they were up to something. A 1 story small house should not need 24 receivers activated at once, especially when i asked how many homes he had and he said just this one lol. I said you do know you have 24 receivers activated and he said he is using that many in case one goes out lol. haha sure

Edited by Volatility, 29 April 2013 - 01:01 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Depending on your current setup and how long they are going to stay with you, you may just want to run extra outputs to the other rooms.  More than one tv would have to be on the same channel, but if that isn't much of an inconvenience and they aren't staying long, you may want to go that route.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...