Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Regional Sports Networks that are "part-time HD"

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

Thinking of switching from DirecTV to Dish and I noticed that the Regional Sports Networks I'd be getting are listed as "part-time HD." How does that play out?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

Dish has a certain number ot TP's allotted to carry live games in HD on their RSN's.

There are not enough HD TP's to carry all of the RSN's full time, at times there are not enough TP's to carry all Hockey, basketball and baseball games in the spring and some college football games in the fall.

The games on the east coast usually get carried in HD (first come first serve) and as TP's become available for the west coast they are joined in progress.  Sometimes the slot never gets an HD TP so the game is SD period.

Perhaps when Dish gets Western arc converted to 8PSK that will free up some more TP's for more RSN games in HD, but I do not see Dish offering all the RSNs full time in HD within the foreseeable future, especially since there are more and RSNs popping up all the time.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#3 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,237 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

Not sure what they've done but it definitely seems to be better this past year. For a while it seemed that I was only seeing games maybe just over half the time in HD, but this past season it's been at least 90% of the time, maybe more, I can only remember seeing one game in SD only. This was on Fox Sports Indiana, which really is just a sub-channel of Fox Sports Midwest, so if I'm getting almost all games HD on that I'd be surprised if there's many people getting SD too often anymore as it would seem to me that little Fox Sports Indiana wouldn't be too high on the priority list.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#4 OFFLINE   Chihuahua

Chihuahua

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

Dish has a certain number ot TP's allotted to carry live games in HD on their RSN's.

There are not enough HD TP's to carry all of the RSN's full time, at times there are not enough TP's to carry all Hockey, basketball and baseball games in the spring and some college football games in the fall.

The games on the east coast usually get carried in HD (first come first serve) and as TP's become available for the west coast they are joined in progress.  Sometimes the slot never gets an HD TP so the game is SD period.

Perhaps when Dish gets Western arc converted to 8PSK that will free up some more TP's for more RSN games in HD, but I do not see Dish offering all the RSNs full time in HD within the foreseeable future, especially since there are more and RSNs popping up all the time.

And some RSNs that they don't even carry (CSN Houston, CSN Northwest, CSN Philly, for instance) at all.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,224 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

DISH added a few more slots for games last year but they still only have 24 channel slots where a game can be placed and more than 30 channels wanting that space.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for the info. I you pay for sports tier, do you only get your RSNs or do you get all of them?

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

As long as you are on AT120+ or above, you get your local RSNs bundled in with your package...  IF you want the out-of-market RSNs, then you can subscribe to multi-sport and get all of them.  Of course, the professional sports that air on those RSNs are likely to be blacked-out for you... but the college sports are not.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 OFFLINE   RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

I got Dish installed last Friday. I got the 200 package and the multi-sports pack and was disappointed to see that the pack didn't include the NBC Sports Network. It appears that I have to bump up to the 250 package to get NBCSN. I should get the Strike Zone channel, though, correct?

#9 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

I think the Strike Zone channel comes with the multisport package.

I have AT250 and do not get it.

I got Dish installed last Friday. I got the 200 package and the multi-sports pack and was disappointed to see that the pack didn't include the NBC Sports Network. It appears that I have to bump up to the 250 package to get NBCSN. I should get the Strike Zone channel, though, correct?

#10 ONLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

I have Strike Zone in SD in the Top250 package.

#11 OFFLINE   Grippy

Grippy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts
  • Locationda UP

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

What is a TP?

What goes here?

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

TP = transponder

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#13 OFFLINE   RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

I was hesitant to switch to Dish because I was worried that many of the Nationals and Orioles games on MASN would be only available in SD. Every game I've called up so far has been HD. Do miss ESPNU being in HD (which it is on DirecTV).

#14 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

What is the channel #? 

I have Strike Zone in SD in the Top250 package.

#15 ONLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

East coast RSN's do not have the TP problem that West coast teams have, because the east coaste/midwest games are not over when the west coast games start, so games out west get SD or HD JIP.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#16 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:41 AM

I have 2 RSNs in Southern NH - NESN and CSNNE.  Occasionally I *do* find a Red Sox game being broadcast in SD in the fall when there's more hockey/basketball overlap.  Not so much this past fall due to the NHL lockout but the year before it DID happen.

#17 ONLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:31 AM

I'm going to dispute that. It's been at least three years, maybe longer since a Red Sox game was only in SD and that includes day night games, and even last minute scheduled games. I think you didn't look hard enough, when the Red Sox are on NESN alternate, the HD channel they are on is not 100% of the time right next to the SD channel for some reason. First time I found that was two years ago I think.

For the question on what channel strike zone is on it's the regular SD channel, when I dropped the sports pack I lost the HD channel but the SD one remains.

Edited by tampa8, 28 May 2013 - 07:34 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...