Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Equipment upgrade

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   whorne

whorne

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

Near the Pittsburgh area but could not guarantee that it would but a Genie..........

Thanks! I would like to get a HR44 but like you, they could not guarantee.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,236 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

if you are in one of the test markets, your chances are pretty high that you will get an HR44

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#23 OFFLINE   firemantom26

firemantom26

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

Same for me..................

#24 OFFLINE   firemantom26

firemantom26

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

How does the protection plan work to help you get upgrades every two years..................

#25 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,227 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

Near the Pittsburgh area but could not guarantee that it would but a Genie..........

I believe they can and will guarantee a Genie. But that could be either an HR34 or an HR44. Both are (and are considered to be) a Genie.

#26 OFFLINE   firemantom26

firemantom26

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

I believe they can and will guarantee a Genie. But that could be either an HR34 or an HR44. Both are (and are considered to be) a Genie.

Yes, that is correct.............................

#27 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:34 AM

I have tried a few times but with the same result................

Regardless of the number of attempts, you have to ask for "Customer Retention" as the 1st level CSRs whom you will first encounter do not have much flexibility to make free or discounted deals outside those which are officially established promotions by DIRECTV.

Just remember there are no guarantees though even with Retention, but regardless always remain polite and respectful regardless of outcome and if the opportunity arises try to fill some of any idle time that may occur, for instance if Rep. is reseaching something while still on the phone etc., with friendly chit chat banter." It will increase your chances.

Good luck.   

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#28 OFFLINE   firemantom26

firemantom26

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

Regardless of the number of attempts, you have to ask for "Customer Retention" as the 1st level CSRs whom you will first encounter do not have much flexibility to make free or discounted deals outside those which are officially established promotions by DIRECTV.

Just remember there are no guarantees though even with Retention, but regardless always remain polite and respectful regardless of outcome and if the opportunity arises try to fill some of any idle time that may occur, for instance if Rep. is reseaching something while still on the phone etc., with friendly chit chat banter." It will increase your chances.

Good luck.   

Yes, that is 100% correct. Don't try and play hard ball with them or you will not win.......

#29 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,480 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

How does the protection plan work to help you get upgrades every two years..................

Upgrade between types, not say a 34 to 44.

Right. Of course this is contrary to what a rep told me when I had a bad Genie replaced, that it was considered equivalent to an HR2X, even though he knew the differences. Reality was as I expected.

#30 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

Generally no offers will be given to someone shortly out of their first year.  Chances are you can continue to call but nothing will be offered until closer to month 18.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#31 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,236 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

Generally no offers will be given to someone shortly out of their first year.  Chances are you can continue to call but nothing will be offered until closer to month 18.

while this is true, there has been times when customers has gotten free stuff with less than a year.  I just did an upgrade for a customer who has been with DirecTV for 6 months and he got a fee HDDVR because he was not happy with one of his clients.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#32 OFFLINE   firemantom26

firemantom26

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

while this is true, there has been times when customers has gotten free stuff with less than a year.  I just did an upgrade for a customer who has been with DirecTV for 6 months and he got a fee HDDVR because he was not happy with one of his clients.

Can you give me upgrade.    LOL

#33 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

Yeah it's case by case in those situations.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#34 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

their may be a custom charge for him to fly out to you lawls 

Edited by Volatility, 02 May 2013 - 04:41 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,236 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

I just did the job.  :shrug:  DirecTV "made" the upgrade 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#36 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

Maybe I'm wrong but the actual reason some get discount or free upgrades has to do with how that particular CSR agent feels, He or she may give better gratitude based on account history and what's available at the time, Now if you have received free upgrades and plenty bill credits then I'll try when the 2 year contact ends, but not everyone's account history is the same, so you might get better perks or not, But the best kept secret kind of is how well of a conversation or better treated you give or received to the CSR, But like I said it all depends on how that CSR feels that day, Other ways to get credit is bundling high speed Internet in conjunction with your Directv service, and as a last resort threaten to cancel your service to see what offer/credits/discounts you might or not get.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#37 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

Maybe I'm wrong but the actual reason some get discount or free upgrades has to do with how that particular CSR agent feels, He or she may give better gratitude based on account history and what's available at the time, Now if you have received free upgrades and plenty bill credits then I'll try when the 2 year contact ends, but not everyone's account history is the same, so you might get better perks or not, But the best kept secret kind of is how well of a conversation or better treated you give or received to the CSR, But like I said it all depends on how that CSR feels that day, Other ways to get credit is bundling high speed Internet in conjunction with your Directv service, and as a last resort threaten to cancel your service to see what offer/credits/discounts you might or not get.

You are correct. Different accounts have different offers available to them but it is usually up to agent discretion to give certain credit offers (like in the order management system ordering equipment giving an offer outside the set price offer already in the system). Like if you call in yelling and cursing ya probably aren't gonna get far. Or like if I see someone abusing the system ya aren't gonna get far with me.

Edited by Volatility, 02 May 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,236 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

Although being nice definitely is the way to go, the job I referenced earlier, was anything but and yet they got what they were asking…. I guess the point here is that you have to push the right "buttons"….playing nice is a HUGE plus….

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#39 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

To an extent.  Also the area you live in is a factor.  You are higher risk when you have multiple options, versus someone who lives in the middle of nowhere.  There are other factors that go into what someone is able to get, but in many ways it really does come down to the CSR.

#40 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:47 AM

I have two TV's going from a splitter to their own boxes. In other words, the line coming from outside is connected to a splitter.  Then from the splitter, two lines go to two different receivers. The HD is very good anyway.  If they add a third box via splitter from the same line, will that affect the Hd Quality?                                                                                                                                                                                                                        |

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

Protected By... spam firewall...And...