Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What new equip do I need?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 362 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

Apparently, I am eligible for a free upgrade now as part of the protection plan changes.  I have had a CSR tell me that this would be a Genie (prob HR34?) and all related dish & other equipment needed.  I do not yet know if that would include any Genie clients for free.  I want to call back and clarify all of this with DirecTV, but I haven't had time to do so yet, and before I do, I wanted to get up to speed on the Genie setup and how/if it can work with any of my existing receivers.

I have:

Receivers:

1 HR20-700 with external eSata drive

1 H21

2 R16 SD DVRs (one of these is only using 1 tuner, because of my coax limitation in this location)

3 R15 SD DVRs

Other equipment:

Slimline 5 LNB dish, 16 port multi-switch

No SWM, no whole home

Internet connectivity on 1 HR20-700

As I have mentioned in another thread, I recently ordered another HD DVR, because we now have another HD TV.  I haven't activated this yet, it is a HR21 (which I really didn't want), and I had to pay $149 for it.  Now that I know I can get a free upgrade, I will be returning this box for a refund.

Our other TVs with the R15s & R16s are not HD, which is why I haven't upgraded these receivers in awhile.  I would love to have all HD DVRs, but it is cost prohibitive to do so. 

If I upgrade to the Genie, will they need to replace my dish?  Or is it just the multi-switch that gets replaced?

Would the R15s and R16s still work on a new system?  I understand they wouldn't have the Whole Home and Genie functionality, but would they still work as standalone SD DVRs?  The R16s have recordings that I'd like to keep for now, at least in the short term, if they will still work.

Would the H21 need to be replaced?  I think I read somewhere that it is not compatible with the Genie, does this mean that it won't work, or will it just not have ability to connect to the Whole Home/Genie system?

I appreciate any feedback/suggestions.  Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,810 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

In order to have a Genie, you must have an SWM system.  The R15 won't work on SWM so it would have to be replaced. The R16 will work, so it wouldn't be replaced. If you get the Genie + (up to) 3 clients, then I would replace the R15s and use the clients in their place.

So, Genie = 5 tuners, HR20 = 2 tuners, H21 = 1 tuner, 2 R16's = 4 tuners, for a total of 12 tuners. Your WB616 switch would be replaced with an SWM16.

#3 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,035 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

Why would the R15s have to be replaced? She's got a legacy multiswitch now, if she wants to keep them the installer just needs to add four splitters and the SWM16 can be run in parallel with the WB616. Alternatively, the SWM16 has four legacy ports which would allow up to two R15s to be connected if she was willing to give up one of them.

She will need band stop filters for the R16s, and I think maybe the HR20 also but I'm not sure. The installer would provide those and put them where they're needed.

Eileen: I'd recommend you figure out for sure what you want to keep as far as those older DVRs. It sounds like if Directv gives you free clients you may be fine with trading out some/all of your R15s. You just want to make sure Directv is aware of exactly what you plan to keep so the installer can be properly prepared. You will want to confirm it with him when he arrives, just in case the chain of communication broke down somewhere on the way from your order to him.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

what about ceasing MPG guide what old receivers utilize ? will R15 works with APG only ?

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

Why would the R15s have to be replaced? She's got a legacy multiswitch now, if she wants to keep them the installer just needs to add four splitters and the SWM16 can be run in parallel with the WB616. Alternatively, the SWM16 has four legacy ports which would allow up to two R15s to be connected if she was willing to give up one of them.

easy, because DirecTV does not support "hybrid" set ups.  If the TS is having DirecTV install the Genie, the R15 have to go.  they will be replace at a minimum with R16 FREE of charge (as part of the SWM upgrade)

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 362 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

How will my HR20 work in conjunction with the Genie and the new SWM system?  Will the HR20 and Genie be able to see each other's playlists? Is there additional equipment needed in order to do this?  Thanks.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,420 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

They will be able to see each others play list. When they put in the SWM system, a DECA will go on the HR20. They will not be able to set recordings on each other, see the other ToDo list etc.

#8 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 796 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

You'll get up to three clients for free but that does not include the mandatory swaps for the R15s for Clients. In other words, the R15s will be swapped for clients (or R16s if you like) and then you also get up to three clients on top of that.

So you'll be paying nothing for a ridiculous amount of equipment!

:D

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#9 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 362 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

Do the Genie clients work with SD TVs?  Sorry if this is a dumb question...

They will be able to see each others play list. When they put in the SWM system, a DECA will go on the HR20. They will not be able to set recordings on each other, see the other ToDo list etc.

So the HR20 will be able to select and view items recorded on the Genie, and vice-versa? 

#10 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

Do the Genie clients work with SD TVs?  Sorry if this is a dumb question...

So the HR20 will be able to select and view items recorded on the Genie, and vice-versa? 

Yes, the Genie Clients will work with SDTVs just fine.  They do require a special DIN to composite/component video cable though, so you might want to mention it to your installer when he calls about your appointment to make sure he brings one for each SDTV you need hooked up. 

If your SDTV has component inputs you will want this cable:

http://www.amazon.co...f=pd_sim_misc_1

If not then you will have to use the composite one:

http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sim_e_1

And yes, the HR20 will be able to see the playlist from the Genie and play those recordings, and the Genie and it's mini clients will also be able to see the HR20's recordings and play them.  Be aware that the Genie can only send it's recordings out to 3 other devices at one time.  So if you are watching a Genie recording on your HR20, you will only be able to watch the other Genie recordings on 2 other mini clients at the same time.  The HR20 can only send it's recordings out to one other receiver at a time.  So if you are watching a recording from your HR20 on one of your mini-clients you won't be able to watch an HR20 recording on any other client or the Genie (but you can still watch another one on the HR20 itself).

Edited by Beerstalker, 30 April 2013 - 11:51 AM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#11 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

Do the Genie clients work with SD TVs? Sorry if this is a dumb question... <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="dpeters11" data-cid="3131661" data-time="1367339502">
They will be able to see each others play list. When they put in the SWM system, a DECA will go on the HR20. They will not be able to set recordings on each other, see the other ToDo list etc. So the HR20 will be able to select and view items recorded on the Genie, and vice-versa?

Yes they have dongle cables available that have a round "S-Video type" connector on one end that goes into the client box and either composite or component with audio on the other for connecting to your display.
PS - crap you beat me to it! I gotta learn to type faster :D

Edited by harperhometheater, 30 April 2013 - 11:51 AM.

HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

spam firewall